When to take Step 2???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceMard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know when to take the step 2. Some say take it right after the 3rd year because stuff is still fresh in your mind. Some say take it a bit later but before interviewing, ans some say take at as late as possible so the programs dont see your score.

I did a little bit below the average on Step 1 and my shelfs havent been so hot either although i have been passing all of them so far. Does anyone have any advice for me???

am

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this on another thread a little while ago:

The advice I got when I was a 3rd year was to schedule it so that the results come back after transcripts go out (check with your school). Basically, I took it at the end of September, transcripts went out 2 weeks later, then my CK score came back 2 weeks after that. I choose NOT to automatically resend my scores in myERAs, so I didn't have to worry about my step 2 scores. Anyway, if your score comes back and its higher than your step 1, you can select to manually retransmit the score. If its lower, don't!

I ended up scoring higher and I resent them, which I'm sure made the programs I applied to happy. I ended up matching were I wanted.

Good luck to all.

I posted this on another thread a little while ago:

The advice I got when I was a 3rd year was to schedule it so that the results come back after transcripts go out (check with your school). Basically, I took it at the end of September, transcripts went out 2 weeks later, then my CK score came back 2 weeks after that. I choose NOT to automatically resend my scores in myERAs, so I didn't have to worry about my step 2 scores. Anyway, if your score comes back and its higher than your step 1, you can select to manually retransmit the score. If its lower, don't!

I ended up scoring higher and I resent them, which I'm sure made the programs I applied to happy. I ended up matching were I wanted.

Good luck to all.

Would end of October be considered too late to use this strategy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would end of October be considered too late to use this strategy?

I took mine on Halloween, got my results back exactly three weeks later (the Wednesday thing). So, it depends on when you start interviewing. I didn't start until mid-December, so it was perfect. If you start in November, some may not have it in time to talk about it during interviews, but they will still have it in time for rank order lists. However, taking it in late October, most programs will have already offered interviews or rejected you by the time you get your Step 2 score back.

I got my score, loved it, re-transmitted that day, and all programs had my scores during my interviews. I did well on Step 1, so I was skittish about possibly doing worse on Step 2, so I let my Step 1 get me interviews, then my Step 2 confirm that Step 1 wasn't a fluke!!

how about late august for it? i know my schools deans letter goes out around Nov 1st so i figure I have until then for a built in buffer zone. but it'd be nice to get interview offers before that

how about late august for it? i know my schools deans letter goes out around Nov 1st so i figure I have until then for a built in buffer zone. but it'd be nice to get interview offers before that

As long as you submit ERAS on September 1st you should be fine. If you put it off, you might get your 2CK score and be forced to submit it.