MD When to take Step2 with research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubbed_out

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I'm taking a research year abroad and am debating whether to take step 2 in July or when I come back next may. I'm hoping to do well to make up for a less than strong step1 score. I feel like I MIGHT be able to pull off a strong score in July, but not overly confident. I'm also concerned if I wait till next may I'll forget a bunch of stuff from rotations.

Any thoughts to pros/cons?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW, my school requires you do it before going away and I think that's ideal. I don't think you'd really be any better off taking it later on in the year. The main reason people delay as MS4s is to have the option to withhold the score until after interviewing in case it's not as impressive as Step 1. No matter how late you take it this year the score will be on your ERAS.

I would do it earlier rather than later. You're going to have forgotten a fair amount of stuff after a year doing research, plus then you don't have to worry about it any more.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! So I'm taking a research year abroad and am debating whether to take step 2 in July or when I come back next may. I'm hoping to do well to make up for a less than strong step1 score. I feel like I MIGHT be able to pull off a strong score in July, but not overly confident. I'm also concerned if I wait till next may I'll forget a bunch of stuff from rotations.

Any thoughts to pros/cons?

You should do everything you can to push through and take it before your research year. I know people who didn't do this, and they regretted it. They took it 2-3 months into the research year and they said it was very challenging to be in lab all day and then have to study at night/on weekends. Fortunately, they had PIs who were understanding and allowed the students to be flexible with their time, especially closer to the exam. This may not always be the case and keep in mind you may be asking this research year PI for a letter down the road.

The other thing to keep in mind is that research years are wonderful opportunities to recharge and work somewhat normal hours for a year. It's nice to be able to have weekends off and explore new cities (especially true for you since you'll be abroad). The students I know really benefited from having more down time after a rigorous third year. You want to be able to enjoy these perks and not have Step 2 looming, if possible.

Hope you have a successful research year!