When to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avery07

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get my schedule for the rest of my undergrad figured out. I'm wondering when to take the DAT though. I've been told the summer before my senior year, as well as right after organic chem 2 (this would be the summer prior to JR year).

What subjects should i have taken to be prepared for the test? From what I know, included are:

Biology, Chemistry 1 & 2, Organic Chemistry 1 & 2, College Algebra, Trigonometry

Is this a complete list? I have heard rumors of human anatomy.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

Members don't see this ad.

You want to maximize your bio classes. It will help you tremendously if you have taken biochem, cell bio, genetics, histo, physio, etc. A lot of upper level bio courses can reduce your studying time and you'll be better prepared this way by nailing the key concepts in class.

G chem and O chem are fine as long as you take the ones you have listed.
Bio section I recommend taking a lot of courses during your 1st and 2nd year.

In terms of DAT timing, spring of end of Jr year would be great since by May you can apply.

You should try to take those courses simultaneously and consecutively so you can retain maximum amount of information.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I'm taking the DAT this summer, which is the summer before my Junior year. I'm fresh out of ochem 1&2, and only a year from taking gchem, so this has made remembering concepts and rxns very easy for me. I'm not great at retaining info for looong periods of time, so this was the best solution for me. I"m taking the kaplan course online, and it's nice to only have one thing to focus on this summer, rather than 4-5 classes + the DAT course.

Taking upper level bios would probably help solidify info, but I think people do well without taking the upper levels. I'm giving it a shot without taking those upper levels, so I'm not sure how that will go yet!