When to take the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RisingSun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey MCAT savants,

My school is on the quarter system. Next quarter (winter) I will be taking the first quarter of physics, and I am thinking about taking the MCAT in april. I have all of the other subjects completed. So for the april MCAT I will have completed only one quarter of physics and started the second quarter. Do you think it is doable to take the MCAT then and learn the other physics concepts on my own?
Of the remaining two quarters, what subjects should I focus on for high yield?

RisingSun

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you and when do you plan to apply?

If you are a junior now and applying for med school during your senior year, you want to take the MCAT in April. You can get the rest of the physics needed from a prep book.

BrettBatchelor said:
What year are you and when do you plan to apply?

If you are a junior now and applying for med school during your senior year, you want to take the MCAT in April. You can get the rest of the physics needed from a prep book.

I'm a post-bac and I only need physics. I plan on applying next cycle (summer/autumn 2006).

I would take in April with extra prep work on the topics from the last quarter.

You want your app complete in early summer thus need your scores from the April exam.

Most people aren't complete with either organic or physics by the MCAT so don't feel disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question....I went to university in England (straight out of high school) for two years and I just transferred back to complete my undergrad in USA this autumn. Due to the way that I was given transfer credit for my classes in England, I still have to complete both Physics and Organic Chemistry (which I will not have done by the April MCAT). Will this put me at a disadvantage? I plan to just spend some extra time on both subjects to prepare but I don't know....

Also, by the time I apply to medical schools (assuming I do take the April MCAT) I will have taken Physics but not Organic Chemistry (I am going to take it my senior year). Are admission's committees going to look down on the fact that I will not complete my Organic Chem. requirement till later? I spoke to my pre-med advisor and he told me that some schools do want you to have everything completed by the time you actually apply, so I should check with them, but I wanted to get other people's opinions as well.

Thanks BrettBatchelor for the advice. You are definately a plus to this site (don't think I've ever read anything from you that has not been constructive).

RisingSun