When to take the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barcamdphd21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Right now I am a freshman premed. Since I received 47 credits because of the ap tests, I am currently taking Organic Chemistry and University Physics (calculus based) and i am doing well. Nex semester I'll be taking Oganic Chemistry II, University Physics II-III (Its a combined class of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics) and Biochemistry. My question is, when should I take the MCAT? I was thinking on taking the summer to study for the MCAT and take it at the begining of my sophomore year while the material is still fresh in my mind.
Or should I wait until the end of my sophomore year to take it? If that is the case, what other extra classes can I take on my sophomore year that will help me on the test. What I am afraid is that it will take me longer to review the material from Organic chemistry if i wait until my sophomore year.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

be careful about the ap credits. I too came in with loads of ap credits and had to retake the core science classes (general bio, general chem, etc.) because A LOT of medical schools do not accept the ap credit. I suggest you research schools you might be interested in and see if they accept the ap credit or not. I just wen the safe route and retook the classes. Good luck and congrats on your AP scores!!!

As early as you have covered all the material and feel comfortable doing so. If you will be done with organic chemistry and physics by the summer, then there's no reason why you couldn't use the summer to get the test over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
Right now I am a freshman premed. Since I received 47 credits because of the ap tests, I am currently taking Organic Chemistry and University Physics (calculus based) and i am doing well. Nex semester I'll be taking Oganic Chemistry II, University Physics II-III (Its a combined class of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics) and Biochemistry. My question is, when should I take the MCAT? I was thinking on taking the summer to study for the MCAT and take it at the begining of my sophomore year while the material is still fresh in my mind.
Or should I wait until the end of my sophomore year to take it? If that is the case, what other extra classes can I take on my sophomore year that will help me on the test. What I am afraid is that it will take me longer to review the material from Organic chemistry if i wait until my sophomore year.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I know that i posted this bofore on the mcat section of the forum but i wasn't feeling the love there

Wow...you people really do exist!

When I was a frosh I never even heard of organic chemistry...probably because I was out partying from Tues. nights until Sun. mornings?!?

Now I'm old and study on a Saturday night...like you :( so shad

Unfortunately, I had heard about O-chem right when I got into my first class of gen chem. The class was insane. He taught O-chem at a graduate-level. I know this because one of my friends had a graduate majoring in o-chem tutoring her. He was in his second year and there were times when he went, "oh wow, we just learned this today." Think 60 hours per week of work minimum, 5 hour labs, 20 page lab reports on every lab that had to be hand written, 20 step retrosynthesis, 2 hour tests where you need more time (they used to be longer and oh yeah, this was taken at night, not during class)...well you get the idea.

Sorry for the rant. Back on topic now. I suggest taking the MCAT the summer of your junior year if you don't plan on taking a break and summer of senior year if you want a break. It sounds like you'll do well regardless of when you take it. I don't suggest taking it your sophomore year since you'll be missing school doing interviews. It will have to be during school because your MCATs won't be good shortly after you're out of there.

I don't plan on taking a break. I am planning to stay the 4 years in college and apply during the summer between junior and senior year. If a take at the beginning of my sophomore year, i will have a whole summer to study for it, since I was planning on doing anything anyways. Or should i wait until the end of my sophomore year? by that time I will have taken genetics,cell molecular biology, proteins and enzymes and advanced biochemistry. Are these classes going to help me on the MCAT?

having stuff "fresh" won't help as much as having more knowledge.

It's much easier to "refresh" the stuff, either with a kaplan class, or some review books, or save your notebooks from your classes.

I recommend either beginning of Junior year, or in the middle of Junior year, after winterbreak.