When to take USMLE Step 2 (if boosting Step 1 score) and CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thunderkiss65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a couple of quick questions (I tried to search for existing answers in this forum and couldn't find them)...

1.) I'm trying to boost a step 1 score (got a 91/224) by doing better on Step 2, but I won't have enough time to study for and take them until mid-August. Meaning my score won't come out until mid-late September and then I can add them as a supplement to my ophtho apps.

Would this be too late? Will schools already have screened me out from interviews based on my step 1 score, or do they re-screen candidates as supplements are added to their file? I suppose I could shorten my study time and take step 2 at the end of July if that is better but then the score may go down accordingly....

2.) For optho, by when should I have already taken Step 2 CS and passed? My school doesn't have stringent deadlines and I wasn't planning to fly out to take the CS until 2009. Thank you much!:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

The idea with taking Step 2 CK early is to post an impressive score to get an interview where you might otherwise not have - right? If so, then you probably should take it before interview decisions are made - which probably translates to as soon as you can take it.

Regarding Step 2 CS - doesn't matter for admission. I'd recommend taking it early just for the reasons of getting it out of the way and so that traveling to get there doesn't interfere with any potential interviews. But take it when it's convenient - just sign up as early as possible so you don't have to fly further than you otherwise would have.

Good luck.