When to Take USMLE Step II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrtWhtNrth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm an American at a Canadian medical school and I was considering taking step II immediately before graduation (when I take the MCCEs) so I don't have to study twice. If I am planning residency back in the states do you think there is any harm to that approach?

Any advice would be wicked.

Doug

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a good usmle step 1 score, I think alot of PD's will give you some slack on step 2. If you don't think your step1 score reflects well on you, you should have a step 2 score by September.

To kill the exam, you need 4 weeks of study time. 2 weeks of half- ass effort and downtime time from a brutal 3rd year and 2 weeks of pure questions from USMLEWORLD and 3 days of crush step 3. Don't forget the pack of Guiness as well.

Hi

I'm an American at a Canadian medical school and I was considering taking step II immediately before graduation (when I take the MCCEs) so I don't have to study twice. If I am planning residency back in the states do you think there is any harm to that approach?

Any advice would be wicked.

Doug

I agree with the game plan above. The Canadian exam schedule (for QE Part I at least) is too late for American residency programs. Most American programs want a step 2 score before the match (March of 4th year). Also, don't waste your time with TN when you can get all you need for the USMLEs and MCCQEs (I've done both) from Crush and USMLEworld.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info guys! I did well on Step I, so I should fell a bit less pressure about doing well on step II...I appreciate the help.

TN looks a bit too large to conquer for either exam...good advice.

Hey Guys,

Is there any problem w/ doing the USMLE step II in early November if you smoked step I? I know US programs don't need step II scores from US grads right away, but typically like to have them before the match. But, what is the story w/ canadian grads applying to the US? Do you guys know if US schools require Canadian grads to take USMLE step II ealier?

Thanks for any help!