doctorjmr

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
When I submitted my AMCAS application, the only clinical volunteering I had done was about 160 hours of volunteering at United Cerebral Palsy (UCP). At UCP I helped individuals accomplish their daily physical therapy goals.

However, since submitting my AMCAS, I have started volunteering at a hospital once a week. I think that volunteering in a hospital would be important for my application to show I have clinical experience outside of UCP. Currently, I only have 25 hours though. I'll be volunteering either once a week or once every two weeks during the school year. I have applied to 25 MD schools and submitted all of my secondaries. When should I submit an updated document reflecting my clinical volunteering within the hospital? Thank you!

If this helps at all, I have a 3.9 cGPA, 3.84 sGPA, and a 507 MCAT.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I would send in an update--to those schools that allow it--within the next few months or after you get IIs.

Generally, I think people would say don't send in an update unless you've had a significant improvement in your app. In my opinion,
25 hours isn't very significant (yet).

Let's see what others have to say.

mistafab

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
25 hours is not siginificant.

Do not send an update until you have made significant improvement in your app. When I was in interview season, each school had specific criteria for which an update was acceptable. Please look at each school individually and see what they say about updates. I gander that updating a school with info before an II is unacceptable.