when to update programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exeunt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my school advises us to start updating programs with sub i evals, pub changes, etc around 10/21. however, since derm invites come out later (although it looks a bit earlier this year), and i'm still waiting on the eval from my last away rotation, what point would be optimal to just send out one update to my application? i.e. how long should i wait for my eval to come back before i should just send my update?

we are also advised to send letters of rec from later sub-i's, but i was wondering if it would really be a good idea to send extra unsolicited letters when i have already sent 4 derm letters?

any advice is appreciated:) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this is just me....but.....I wouldn't send anything. You have 4 letters of recommendation submitted already (the maximum you can submit to programs through ERAS... so if you wanted to submit you'd have to send them individually by email to each program). One of my advisers reviews residency applications...and believe me, no one wants to sift through more than 4 letters, let alone "update letters". The applications are already giant stacks of paper and they have 40-50 of them to read.

For the other stuff, I don't think most programs are going to care that "abstract X" was accepted or "publication Y" was accepted. It's not going to change their decision to interview you---I'd just talk about this stuff on the actual interview trail.

I've never heard from any of our academic advising department faculty to send update letters before getting an interview. Only thing to do pre-interview (besides submitting ERAS on time) is having recommenders make phone calls on your behalf if you aren't getting the # of interviews you want/need. It's obviously way too early to consider something like that given that only a handful of programs have even given out invites at this point..and most won't be coming for another 4-6 weeks.

Just my two cents.

my school advises us to start updating programs with sub i evals, pub changes, etc around 10/21. however, since derm invites come out later (although it looks a bit earlier this year), and i'm still waiting on the eval from my last away rotation, what point would be optimal to just send out one update to my application? i.e. how long should i wait for my eval to come back before i should just send my update?

we are also advised to send letters of rec from later sub-i's, but i was wondering if it would really be a good idea to send extra unsolicited letters when i have already sent 4 derm letters?

ERAS asks for max of 4 letters of recommendation that's it. You're not supposed to just have an LOR sent over if not thru ERAS, and Derm definitely doesn't want anymore that are unsolicited, esp. if you've already sent 4. It has to all come through ERAS. Derm already has enough stuff to wade thru and by now they have your application, your LORs, your Dean's letter, your personal statement, and your board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree with all the above, I would not pester programs any further. If you have a significant publication or letter, it would be worthwhile. I know of multiple programs that will actually skip over applicants because they cannot follow simple instructions such as 4 letters and no more beyond that.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with all the above, I would not pester programs any further. If you have a significant publication or letter, it would be worthwhile. I know of multiple programs that will actually skip over applicants because they cannot follow simple instructions such as 4 letters and no more beyond that.
^^^THIS. Part of the application process is being able to test that you are able to follow directions and programs notice when you're unable to do so.