Audit or Withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Striking_Net1249

Reaction score
I'm going to be a premed freshman starting this fall, and looking for some advice. Right now, I'm finishing up my last semester of high school during which I took two general chemistry courses (genchem 1 and lab) as a dual-enrolled student at a local college. Unfortunately, my grades in these courses are pretty low, so I'm trying to figure out my options.

I can either convert these courses to an audit (XC on transcript) or withdraw (W on transcript) and retake them when I start university. I'm hoping to minimize any negative impact on my future medical school applications, so I'm wondering which option you think would be better.

If you have any advice or insights, I'd really be super thankful. Thanks so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well what grades are you going to receive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what grades are you going to receive?

Thank you so much. Based on my performance thus far, I anticipate receiving either a B or C in the course. ( I didn’t pay enough attention to it, as until this week, I mistakenly had no clue that even dual-enrolled courses taken while in high school are considered in undergrad GPA calculations by AMCAS.)

If I choose to continue with the course, first, a B or C grade will be factored into my GPA for AMCAS calculations. Second, after finishing high school, I plan to start premed at 4-year university and I read that my university premed advisors only allow for two prerequisites to be taken outside of the university. If I continue with this course, it will use up those two slots, and hamper my ability to later take Physics-1 or Physics- 2 away from university which are subjects that I am weaker in.

Alternatively, I am considering withdrawing from the course. However, I am aware that two Ws on my transcript may raise some red flags with medical schools.

Finally, I can audit, as I am still within permissible time window when I can convert it to audit or withdraw, but I have heard rumors that medical schools may not view auditing prerequisites favorably, as it may suggest that I am preparing twice for a premed prerequisite by taking an audit.

Last edited:
but I have heard rumors that medical schools may not view auditing prerequisites favorably, as it may suggest that I am preparing twice for a premed prerequisite by taking an audit.
Who is telling you this?

You also aren't a college freshman yet. You just have to understand you may have to retake the course of you audit, but it won't work against you when it comes to a GPA calculation, if I read the 2023 AMCAS Guide correctly...