When to Withdraw?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Kurk, Oct 9, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Kurk

Kurk Pre-law Account on Hold

Feb 18, 2016
    Again, you can tell a lot about someone based on these things.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Auntymarkovnikov

Auntymarkovnikov

Jul 7, 2017
    Yea you can tell that they don’t know where Bulgaria is

Noice, juustinkim, yaya97 and 3 others like this.
  4. sox12

sox12

Apr 4, 2017
    And Ben Carson thinks the pyramids were used to store grain, yet he's still (from what I can gather) a competent neurosurgeon. Your point is very subjective and you're making quite the assumptions if you use things like that to predict whether or not someone could/could not be a decent healthcare professional.

5. caffeine jitters

caffeine jitters

Apr 1, 2017
    :troll: with Ben Carson's pyramid grain

Edit: too late

sox12 likes this.
  6. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    I didn't question their ability to be a well-versed clinician. I question their ability to be involved in the politics of health-care. How can they truly resist or advocate for changes within the profession if they don't want to put in the effort into acquiring a holistic view?

7. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    And that's Ben Carson's personal opinion. At least he has the ability to argue his position as it relates to The Old Testament.

And btw this Forbes article doesn't disagree with Carson: Ben Carson Is Entirely Right About Pyramids Being Grain Stores, Just Entirely Wrong About How

8. sox12

sox12

Apr 4, 2017
    Because maybe they're focused on the medical profession with regards to the United States? Not knowing where Bulgaria is located literally means nothing. That's you extrapolating big time.

Lordy you're quoting Forbes in 2017.

9. Dhudez

Dhudez

Jun 28, 2016
    So.... If everyone thinks this guy is a "troll", then why do you all respond to his posts consistently?

10. sox12

sox12

Apr 4, 2017
    Mostly entertainment. Until he does something egregious enough for me to block him, it's worth responding.

11. Big Time Hoosier

Big Time Hoosier Man. Myth. Legend. 2+ Year Member

Isn’t it by Delaware?

Big Hoss

12. caffeine jitters

caffeine jitters

Apr 1, 2017
    Don't you like memes?

Zen0321 likes this.
  13. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    Here's the thing: this person was conversing with another student. Upon stating that they were from Bulgaria, the student asked "oh, is that in the middle east?". What would adcoms think if they said this at an interview? At the very minimum we should agree that it wouldn't be looked upon favorably. Now it could very well be that by some miracle of a chance that this student is well-versed in the health-care policy, but knowing that part of that involves drawing comparisons between US models and other countries, it makes it that much more unlikely. C'mon now.
    I love memes; specifically spongebob ones. Keep posting 'em!

14. Its_Me_G

Its_Me_G

Jun 4, 2017
    Why would Bulgaria be brought up in an interview?

Zen0321 and Auntymarkovnikov like this.
  15. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    Idk, aren't other random topics brought up from what I hear? Maybe the interviewer is from that country.

16. Punt me

Punt me

Aug 23, 2017
    It would be terrifying as a patient to see someone like you as a doctor or dentist.

You would yell at patients and treat them like trash for not brushing their teeth regularly, or what you would call a normal daily human activity. It doesn't help that you are only (or more) concerned for money than the wellbeings of the patients.

17. smallmediumbig

smallmediumbig

Feb 14, 2016
    You do know introverted is not the same thing as socially inept, right?

18. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    If this new generation of people weren't so entitled I'd be much more concerned for them. My current dentist adores my mouth and brushing habits while they have yelled at my mom for poor cleaning habits. And this dentist is in their forties.

19. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    Yeah, but I question my abilities from time-to-time. I have pretty decent people skills when I'm not mumbling from low self-esteem, but choose to avoid interaction unless it's for a reason. Therefore I'm an introvert.

20. smallmediumbig

smallmediumbig

Feb 14, 2016
    It sounds more awkward and shy to me with a hint of introversion.

21. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    When self-confidence is good (as it is now since I've been liberated) I have few hindrances. When it's low I tend to mumble and be brief. I know for sure I'm introverted b/c I become increasingly annoyed and exhausted the more I have to converse throughout the day. I treat it like putting on a performance. Eventually I need to have a break and recharge on SDN or read a book ;) .

Noice likes this.
  22. californiway21

californiway21

Jul 11, 2016
    1. I don't feel comfortable around the pre-med and pre-dental students. The reason why is that I'm finding many of them don't know ANYTHING outside of their pre-conceived notions about the field(s). Whether it be the politics of health-care, the changing demographics, the challenges and pressures facing health-care, anything that happens "behind the curtain", etc; they're unengaged.

Example #1: An already admitted pre-med did not know what continent Bulgaria was located on. You can tell a lot about a person based on their basic world knowledge—aka what's happening around them.

Example #2: Another admitted pre-med had trouble understanding the concept of objectivity when I tried explaining it to them. I was giving feedback on a paper they wrote. This person is a SENIOR.

Example #3: I asked a panel of dental students at an open-house what their thoughts were on the rise of corporate dental offices and how it threatens the solo-practitioner model. Only ONE was able to answer the question.

So in summary, I feel a good chunk of people who go to dental/med school don't really know what they're getting themselves into aside from just wanting to be a great clinician and making money. When you're ignorant of what goes on behind the curtain, you become susceptible to being taken advantage of, whether that be insurance companies, who you work for, even patients. I value casual education (self-learning outside of the classroom) a lot. There is no way I would be comfortable being around these types of people in undergrad, graduate school, work, wherever.

Second Reasoning: The Future

I won't spend much time on this aspect as they're already many threads about the future of dentistry. I believe I posted the presentation by Mert Aksu on this thread earlier. He basically touches on most of it, but basically I don't like the decay of the solo-practitioner model in favor of corporate offices. My motivations for dentistry will become more difficult to satisfy as the profession changes, which leads me to the final, and biggest problem.

Third Reasoning: Me

I believe most of you will agree with me in saying that my personality is not exactly "full of flavor". Most IRL describe me as being serious and dry. While I have zero problem with this personally, and don't think it should be shunned, I know that I stand little to no chance when competing against the students who have the "desirable" personality. I may look good on paper, but when I get to the interview stage, or even when asking for letter of rec, I don't have much going for me. I could "fake it till I make it" as I have been doing, but then what? As a dentist my personality matters for getting a job (especially since it's becoming pretty much impossible to open up an office straight out of school) and bringing in patients. My motivations are for the lifestyle and that's pretty much it. My manual dexterity is going to *explicit* as I've been noticing more and more nervous tics and tremors in my hands and arms. Dental school has one of the highest, if not the highest, amount of debt associated with it. It's too much to stake for questionable return.

I've decided that my talents have always been better suited for law. I have multiple AP credits in history and political science to put to use in college. My analytical writing skills have always been superb. I love to read. I wasn't the strongest at the sciences, but managed to do well in high-school due to my work ethic. The one science AP I took I didn't earn credit for. I am now at a disadvantage when competing against other science majors, while I could be thriving as a political science major.

Parental pressure is honestly the only reason why I ever developed an interest in health-care. Whenever I would try to object I'd be put down. I've now developed enough self-confidence to stand-up for myself.

My new plan is to achieve the highest gpa possible in political science; which is of course going to be easier than as a bio major. I've already done a couple practice LSAT problems and find myself performing surprisingly well.

As of now, I'm fairly attracted to pursing medical-malpractice law. I will continue to work on my school's EMS squad (composed of pre-meds) without telling them my intentions to use my insider knowledge to screw them over in the future. I believe this will be by far the largest *explicit*-move I will have done thus far in my life, but hey: it's in my personality. I can either live confidently as the person I am, or miserably as someone who tries to conform to the wishes of others. I am not claiming to be special or overly-smart, but rather someone who thinks critically and doesn't do things simply because other people are too.

[/QUOTE]
    The length of this post proves why you spend too much time on sdn and not enough on studying.

LuckBloodandSweat and Its_Me_G like this.
  23. Kurk

Feb 18, 2016
    I am...umm....in a very vulnerable state. I explained why I wanted to pursue law to my parents and 2 hours later here I am with snot and tear stains on my shirt. Yes I was chewed out big time. I eventually cried like a baby. My parents are the classic example of where the child is forced to become a doctor. I've been blackmailed. I am not a tough guy. I pretend to be but in reality a softie. I don't have the life skills to succeed without parental assistance. I was raised over-protectively so I couldn't develop the skills to leave and become independent. If I want housing, financial assistance, I have to pursue medicine. Leaving is not an option. I will have nothing. I honestly would end up homeless. @Goro may think that it's easy to just stand up to things like this, but in reality it's not practical. It's the equivalent of telling someone in poverty to get a job and stop living off welfare. I was raised in an environment where these skills were overlooked or withheld to guarantee my servitude to them. I would not survive the real world. Honestly I'm a high-functioning autist. @leesan23 is my alt account where I've posted sensitive questions. I will not lie. I am not a troll, even though I tell myself that I am to feel better. I simply pathetic and immature. I wish I was never an avid reader. I wish that I never discovered SDN. Had I remained ignorant, I would've been better off. I wouldn't be so conflicted in my studies. I wouldn't worry about the future of the profession. You can tell by my fragmented sentences how hard I try to cover up for my imperfections. It takes me longer to write these posts than the normal user would. For now, I have no other choice than to stick to my pre-health studies. Whether or not I succeed in getting in to med/dental school doesn't matter. At least I will have tried. Again, I wish I was ignorant. Whatever that effect is called where learning more tells you how much you don't know definitely applies. There is no escape—for any of us.

24. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Head down to your local recruiter's office and join the military. They'll help you grow up in a hurry. heading down the path your parents dictate will only mean you end up being miserable, and possibly your "committing suicide by failing out" [meaning, you'll do poorly in school because this isn't what you want to do].

Faefly, ucfknight7 and CareerNumTwo like this.
  25. LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2015
    Your parents don't define your life lol. Maybe people were wrong to think you're a troll maybe not; it's not quite clear to me yet. What is clear to me is that you have a toxic attitude towards yourself and others and that only serves to make your life worse. I'm not going to tell you to get counseling but you need to learn to make a few friends and get along with people. As far as I can tell, you have very little social interaction w/ ppl outside of this site. Perhaps you were too sheltered growing up; I know people who were smothered and they end up imploding and not giving a f*ck about anything anymore. Did you ever think your parents were overprotective because you never demonstrated to them that you had the social ability to succeed on your own and stand up for yourself? As annoying as my parents were when I grew up (and as little freedom as I had), I still tried my best to make friends and improve as a person. Having overprotective parents is pretty crappy; I'm fairly sure I'm not as sociable as some of my classmates but I do try. That's what matters.

Remember when Squidward quits his job at the Krusty Krab? Lol.
    upload_2017-10-14_0-24-6.jpeg
    Don't be this meme. If there's something you want to do prove your independence to your parents and show them that you can get internships/opportunities in the fields

Badgers2, Noice, Faefly and 3 others like this.
  26. Faefly

Faefly

Jun 21, 2016

Please, own your future!
    Pursue Law

Get out of your parents house,
    Get loans for your education

and Be the lawyer you want to be!

Your parents don't own you, you are not a slave, they didn't give you a favor by bringing you to this shi**y life!

They just had sex and had to deal with the consequences!

You can respect them, help them, be in gratitude for them for raising you.

But you don't have to crush yourself in that process!

I know my words are entering one ear and going out from the other one.

I actually don't value your very backward thinking toward females which is worrisome
    but
    I feel the need to advise you to pursue your dreams without the permission from anyone else.

27. Faefly

Faefly

Jun 21, 2016

Breathe, we don't matter,
    all these people don't matter.
    you parents don't matter
    no body matters.

Don't feel so sad and down like this

So what, you have a mental illness or some disorder?

People will love you regardless if you open up to them and treat them nicely.

People are not perfect, we all have issues.

Stop using your disorder as an excuse.

Be open to people and you'll find so many wonderful people who might not have your same IQ by the way, but they are still worth it!

Don't be so crazy about super achievement?

What's wrong with being a nurse?

So what?

We live just one life.

No need to make it complicated!

You just have a disorder, you are no less than anyone else.

Like I said in my previous post, leave your family and live on campus, take a loan and do whatever you want?

Do you want to be an artist?

Then be an artist.

28. Faefly

Faefly

Jun 21, 2016
    You mentioned you are an Avid reader
    Please read novels.
    They are entertaining, make you feel better, and more beneficial than social media and online world.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 1:45 PM
  29. Faefly

Faefly

Jun 21, 2016
  30. Noice

Noice Dental Student

May 2, 2017
    Manhattan
    Idk if many dental people know this, but the majority of law schools don't even have interviews. If you're good at reading+puzzles, you'll do well on the LSAT.
    I don't see anything wrong with going to law school. I considered it.

Occupation Prestige (in 1989)
    Physicians 86.05
    Dentists 71.79
    Veterinarians 62.28
    Optometrists 67.16
    Podiatrists 64.86
    Registered Nurses 66.48
    Pharmacists 68.32
    Lawyer 74.77
    Computer systems analyst or scientist 73.70
    Teacher 73.51
    Physicist or astronomer 73.48
    Chemist 73.33
    Architects 73.15
    Biological or life scientist 73.14
    Physical scientist, not elsewhere classified 73.09
    Chemical engineer 72.30
    Professor 71.79
    Judge 71.49
    Engineer (not elsewhere classified) 70.69
    Chief executive or general administrator, public administration 70.45
    Geologist or geodesist 69.75
    Psychologist 69.39
    Manager, medicine and health 69.22
    Aerospace engineer 69.22
    Clergy 68.96
    Civil engineer 68.81
    (source)

[​IMG]
    (source)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    Faefly likes this.
  31. murra651

murra651

Jan 29, 2017
    Kurk, Life isn't easy and there are many things that are beyond our control, it is what you do with the things you can control that define you as a person. All I will say is that you should do whatever makes you happy, which I know is easier said than done. Your parents love you, that is why they want you to be as successful as possible, however, you should be independent with whatever you do, as you are an adult now. At this point, in reading all of your posts, you should pursue law, it is what you want to do. It may change in the coming years, but pursuing that field will hone in on what you want to do in the end. Best of luck! Please Do what makes you the happiest regardless of what anyone else says!

CareerNumTwo likes this.
  32. SmileItsLife

SmileItsLife

Jan 4, 2017
    This is why people tell you to get off SDN. You are fueling your anxiety. Even you agree that you wish you didn't know about SDN... knowledge is power, but at this point you're just going in circles and not really learning anything new.

I feel very sorry that you are in an uncomfortable position in life. I think that you need to realize that life is not constantly at this state... right now you don't know what to do. You're stuck in this position due to parental and self imposed pressure without really knowing yourself.

Don't worry. As corny as it sounds, you learn a lot about yourself in college, and how to interact with your parents as an adult. You'll learn about what you want, and this will lead you loving your future profession instead of just seeing it as a job.

Everything doesn't get better automatically. Right now although your heart broken about your parents reaction to you wanting law, you seemed to listen to them too quickly. I think this is because even you are uncertain. Take Gen Eds and figure out what you like...

Also you need to start evolving your relationship with your parents now. Let them now that you are an adult now, and when they are unfortunately long gone, YOU will still have to live with the choices you make. You still have to be a doctor, dentist, or lawyer all day, everyday. They can give advice since they do have experience and do know you well, but in the end, who has to live this life? You aren't going to put yourself through years of training and eventually decades of work to become something they wanted just so they can brag to their friends and aquantinces...

You need to learn about yourself and adjust your relationship with your parents. Only then will you begin to know what to do and move forward instead of running in circles of anxiety.

Faefly likes this.
  33. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    You have major problems that neither we nor SDN can help you resolve. You need to go get real help or fix things yourself because if you continue your life the way you have been, you are not going to be enjoying it. Best of luck

34. LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat 2+ Year Member

May 26, 2015
    You are a savage Reich Rich

35. amariesa

amariesa 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Agreed with this poster. Kurk, bro, the best advice SDN can give you is to see a counsellor/ psychiatrist. There are lots of medication/treatments that will help your situation. Your age is when mental problems develop and worsen. My best friend wanted to be a pharmacist so bad, she drove herself literally insane over the period of 6-7 years. It gave her ups and downs of depression, then it made her get anxiety, then self-doubt. But when her energy came back, she became manic, then depressive, and got diagnosed with bipolar. A few years later, she hear voices and got diagnosed with schizophrenia. It all stemmed from her anxieties towards getting into pharmacy. Now, she's doing min wage work and living at home with her parents. She graduated the top of her HS, with a 97% average in a top HS in Canada. She is a smart cookie but mental health is nothing to joke about. SEE YOUR SCHOOL COUNSELOR. Like yesterday.

36. ProspectivePostPreDent

ProspectivePostPreDent

Jun 13, 2017
    Well, if they know anything about geography, they'd think that the applicant wasn't all that far off - Bulgaria is literally one country away from the middle east, with nearly a 20% Middle Eastern population. It's a 3 hour drive from the border to Instanbul, which spans Europe and Asia. But you knew that, right, geography buff?

This is like deriding someone because when mentioning that you were from Panama, they said "oh, in South America?"

Be serious.

I'm no fan of Ben Carson, but to call someone with his credentials "(from what I can gather) competent" is silly. For all of Kurk's amusing conclusion-jumping about people, one documented truth in psychology is that being able to give credit where it's due *even if you dislike someone personally/politically* is a terrific predictor of the big 5 trait in psychology called "openness", i.e. intellectual curiosity/intellectual risk-taking.
    Many of the most formidable people on the planet are defined by this trait, for instance Elon Musk.

37. sox12

sox12

Apr 4, 2017
    I meant "from what I can gather" in the sense that I know nothing of his neurosurgical skills. I am not a doctor, let alone a neurosurgeon, so I don't see how it's my place to judge his craft with 100% certainty. I have also never been a patient of his nor of any neurosurgeon, so I would only have to go off of what I have read online about him.

38. ProspectivePostPreDent

ProspectivePostPreDent

Jun 13, 2017
    Okay, well if I got you wrong, then my fault.

But you'll have to forgive me for being suspicious of mitigating language like "competent" when discussing a Johns Hopkins chief with an H index of roughly a billion, who won a medal of freedom for his work (way before he was involved with politics).

It smelled of petty political shot-taking, but again, if not, then I apologize.

39. sox12

sox12

Apr 4, 2017
    It's all good. Don't get me wrong, I could go on an endless ran about his political and/or socioeconomic beliefs, but that's not what SDN is for lol. He is a distinguished neurosurgeon (and most likely a damn good one) at his best and a solid neurosurgeon at his worst. Not a bad spectrum to end up on in your line of work.

40. ProspectivePostPreDent

ProspectivePostPreDent

Jun 13, 2017
    Hey, fair enough.

sox12 likes this.
  41. sadlife4ever

sadlife4ever

Jan 30, 2017
    Sh*t up! Catch me outside right now!