when to withdraw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostondoc1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When are you all going to withdraw from all but one school?

We have until May 15th to choose, but is it irregular to withdraw now? (that is, if you already know for certain where you want to go.)

I was thinking it's nice to withdraw early to create room for waitlist movement. Is there anything wrong with this thinking? Should I be more selfish?

Members don't see this ad.

bostondoc1 said:

We have until May 15th to choose, but is it irregular to withdraw now? (that is, if you already know for certain where you want to go.)

I was thinking it's nice to withdraw early to create room for waitlist movement. Is there anything wrong with this thinking? Should I be more selfish?
If there is NO circumstance underwhich you would go to a school - by all means, withdraw. Many people hold off on withdrawing because there is the possibility that financial aid packages will change their decisions.

bostondoc1 said:

How exactly do we officially withdraw?

Members don't see this ad :)
06applicant said:

To all :

plz withdraw from MCW, if you already have been accepted somewhere else

06applicant said:

Send them a letter stating that you wish to withdraw.

Technically, it can be done anytime during the season, pre-secondary, post-secondary, post-interview, etc.

Withdrawing is very easy, but it usually has to be in writing/typing - and SIGNED.

Just type up a thank-you-but-no-thank-you and pop it in the mail.

No, there's no reason to be selfish. But there is reason to be cautious:

1. Make sure you WOULD NOT attend the school you are withdrawing from regardless of circumstances (scholarship $$$, etc.). At this point, though, most schools will just be awarding need-based aid, so it *shouldn't* vary much from school to school.

2. Make sure you will be able to pay for the school/schools you are considering. Likely you'll be able to, but bad credit history may mean otherwise.

3. Make sure the school/schools you are still considering are cool with any "changes" that may have happend since submitting your application. Fail a class last/this semester? Let them know. Drop a major, switch degrees, have a question about a prereq? Let them know. Commit a crime? Let them know. Once you know you won't be unceremoniously booted in August, go ahead and withdraw from others.

4. Look over the school once more, just to be sure. You've invested likely over $200 in this school, make sure you are sure. Gut feelings or a careful pro/con analysis of location, curriculum, students, etc. both work, just make sure they're genuine.

I'm not trying to tell you not to withdraw. I've withdrawn from three schools already, and will likely be dropping more once financial aid packages are done. I'm just suggesting you cover all your bases. If you have, it is polite and professional to withdraw, other students want a place to go next year as early as possible.

i withdrew from UIC and it was extremely easy. i called, the lady gave me her email address, i shot her the email, she responded and said it was taken care of and the check would be coming soon. whole thing took about 6 minutes tops.

the consensus on another thread, however, was that withdrawing now doesn't make much difference for waitlists as most schools will wait til may to do waitlist movement anyways.

but no reason to not get those deposits back now if you know you're not interested in one or more schools

There are schools that do waitlist movement before May 15 - VCU for one. I do however, agree that most schools will wait until May 15 because they overaccept their classes.

I think that as soon as you know you're going to withdraw you should get it over with sooner rather than later - i.e. do it now. Can you imagine if everyone waited until May 15 to withdraw? It would take two or three weeks to sort out everything and start giving out waitlist acceptances!

bostondoc1 said:

Like the other posters said. Wait until you have considered all of your options and are sure that everthing is taken care of (financial aid etc.). Its not selfish to wait and consider your options to make the right decision. You earned it. If you're absolutely sure about one school, it would be nice if you withdrew from the rest.

Flopotomist said:
If there is NO circumstance underwhich you would go to a school - by all means, withdraw. Many people hold off on withdrawing because there is the possibility that financial aid packages will change their decisions.

OR because holding multiple competitive acceptances may influence scholarship/financial aid committees.

*hopefully*