When to Withdraw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so i received a rejection today from a school that i had made a last ditch effort to get an interview at recently (by sending an update letter). However this made me wonder, when is the best time to withdraw pre-interview once you have other acceptances. I don't mind getting rejected by the "reach" schools I applied to (whose avg stats are >= mine) but i don't want to give the schools whose avg stats are < mine or < the schools at which i've been accepted the chance to reject me (it's mostly a pride thing). At the same time though this is ballanced by the desire to "get my money's worth" out of the process and hopefully get an ego boost by getting an interview invite from these other schools.

Same question goes for withdrawing from waitlists. when is the best time? and would withdrawing via email suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

so i received a rejection today from a school that i had made a last ditch effort to get an interview at recently (by sending an update letter). However this made me wonder, when is the best time to withdraw pre-interview once you have other acceptances. I don't mind getting rejected by the "reach" schools I applied to (whose avg stats are >= mine) but i don't want to give the schools whose avg stats are < mine or < the schools at which i've been accepted the chance to reject me (it's mostly a pride thing). At the same time though this is ballanced by the desire to "get my money's worth" out of the process and hopefully get an ego boost by getting an interview invite from these other schools.

Same question goes for withdrawing from waitlists. when is the best time? and would withdrawing via email suffice?

haha if its a matter of pride and ego, it sounds like the best time for you to withdraw is as soon as possible. It shouldnt matter either way, you are already accepted.

If you do not send in a secondary, should you formally withdraw or will they just mark you incomplete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares, I'm not withdrawing from anywhere. I paid a lot to apply to all these schools and I'm not quitting on them before they even formally get back to me. I'm gonna save all my rejection letters. Dunno what I'm gonna do with them yet but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Who cares, I'm not withdrawing from anywhere. I paid a lot to apply to all these schools and I'm not quitting on them before they even formally get back to me. I'm gonna save all my rejection letters. Dunno what I'm gonna do with them yet but I'm sure I'll think of something.

I use them for target practice at a shooting range. If you shoot at all, you might enjoy this. It's extremely cathartic.