When will California start accepting ADEX ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentRone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to get some more information on the acceptance of ADEX by California. On the ADEX acceptance map, it is mentioned that the expected acceptance is 2018 for California. However, there is no further clarity as to the date or anything promising. I was wondering if there are other folks in the same boat and if someone has more information and share the same.

Inputs from all are welcome.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am trying to get some more information on the acceptance of ADEX by California. On the ADEX acceptance map, it is mentioned that the expected acceptance is 2018 for California. However, there is no further clarity as to the date or anything promising. I was wondering if there are other folks in the same boat and if someone has more information and share the same.

Inputs from all are welcome.

Thanks,
Hi,
I have been following this for quite a while now. The following is from Sarah Wallace, Assistant Executive Officer at Dental Board of California during California dental board meeting held in feb:

“Prior to recognition or acceptance of the ADEX exam, the exam itself must undergo an Occupational Analysis and a Psychometric Evaluation to determine compliance with the requirements of Business and Professions Code Section 139.

The Board has contracted with the Department of Consumer Affairs’ (DCA) Office of Professional Examination Services (OPES) to conduct an occupational analysis (OA) of the dental (DDS) profession and review the ADEX examination. The OA began in July 2017. The OPES has reported that the workshops have gone well and it is preparing the task and knowledge statements for the pilot survey, which is anticipated to be distributed in mid-February. The OA report is anticipated to be completed in June, but is dependent upon the recruitment and participation of DDS subject matter experts during the workshops and during the survey.
Once the DDS OA is complete, the OPES will initiate the review of the ADEX examination and conduct the linkage study to the OA. This project is anticipated to begin in July 2018 and be completed in early 2019.”

I am really disappointed by Dental Board of California for taking this long to resolve the issue.

The board holds a quarterly meeting where CDCA acceptace is also discussed. You can find the details by google Dental board of California meeting.

Hope this help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I have been following this for quite a while now. The following is from Sarah Wallace, Assistant Executive Officer at Dental Board of California during California dental board meeting held in feb:

“Prior to recognition or acceptance of the ADEX exam, the exam itself must undergo an Occupational Analysis and a Psychometric Evaluation to determine compliance with the requirements of Business and Professions Code Section 139.

The Board has contracted with the Department of Consumer Affairs’ (DCA) Office of Professional Examination Services (OPES) to conduct an occupational analysis (OA) of the dental (DDS) profession and review the ADEX examination. The OA began in July 2017. The OPES has reported that the workshops have gone well and it is preparing the task and knowledge statements for the pilot survey, which is anticipated to be distributed in mid-February. The OA report is anticipated to be completed in June, but is dependent upon the recruitment and participation of DDS subject matter experts during the workshops and during the survey.
Once the DDS OA is complete, the OPES will initiate the review of the ADEX examination and conduct the linkage study to the OA. This project is anticipated to begin in July 2018 and be completed in early 2019.”

I am really disappointed by Dental Board of California for taking this long to resolve the issue.

The board holds a quarterly meeting where CDCA acceptace is also discussed. You can find the details by google Dental board of California meeting.

Hope this help.
Also, the following is from the California Dental board meeting held in Nov 2017:

“Dr. Morrow questioned whether the Board would accept applicants for licensure who passed the ADEX prior to its approval by the Board. Ms. Fischer responded that the Board would only accept applicants for licensure who passed the ADEX exam after it was approved by the Board. Additionally, the ADEX exam is only accepted one year from the passing date.”

I hope it never does. The CDCA people are a bunch of thieves. All out there to get your money at any cost, even if it meant failing you a part of the exam for a few dollars more. I am disgusted by my experience with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of this year? None.
And again, if you can avoid working wit these people, just don't.
They treated us like crap. even our faculty showed much more respect. Whenever I pointed out to a deficiency in their evaluation, their only argument was " we are recognized in 77 states and Jamaica...". Obviously because they have bribed their way to that recognition..... They operate more like a mafia than a non-profit, with their exams director covering their tracks.

ADEX is now "anticipated" to be accepted in CA sometime in 2019 now....
I emailed the dental board of CA and they responded saying that they anticipate to accept ADEX sometime during the 2019-2020 fiscal year (beings July 2019).........Looks like the WREB is in my near future if I want to practice in CA for 2019............

ADEX is now "anticipated" to be accepted in CA sometime in 2019 now....
I emailed the dental board of CA and they responded saying that they anticipate to accept ADEX sometime during the 2019-2020 fiscal year (beings July 2019).........Looks like the WREB is in my near future if I want to practice in CA for 2019............

WREB is better organized anyways

WREB is better organized anyways
Ya WREB is a good option, but because I am on the Navy HPSP I would like better odds of being licensed in a state that I might be stationed in. Just to keep the option open to Moonlight.

Ya WREB is a good option, but because I am on the Navy HPSP I would like better odds of being licensed in a state that I might be stationed in. Just to keep the option open to Moonlight.

I heard for military you just need to have a license from any state in USA. Doesn’t have to be the state you ended up in. That’s why my classmate only did restorative and endo for his WREB.

He has Navy HPSP and will be going to California after.

Hi, does anyone know if and when California accepts the ADEX, if there is a plan to accept applicants who passed the ADEX prior to California's acceptance of it. For example, if California accepts the ADEX in 2019, will they accept an applicant who passed the ADEX in 2012?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m looking for this info too. Im in my 4th year of dental school and just took CDCA manikin exam. Wondering if I will need to do more for California come June 2020?

I don't see on their website. Do you think they'll accept ADEX if I passed the clinical portion in October?
Doesn’t look like it. First paragraph, second sentence.
D842B44B-7047-41C7-8F80-1FDFAD68B0F9.jpeg

I don't see on their website. Do you think they'll accept ADEX if I passed the clinical portion in October?

I'm a 4th year dental student in Michigan but originally from California. I spoke with a few of the CDCA coordinators at our mock exam and they told me that if you took the endo/pros portion this year already and are going to be taking the clinical portion in 2020, then it will still count towards licensure in CA. But if you took all portions of the exam prior to Nov 15, 2019, then it will NOT give you licensure in CA. At least that is what they told me, you can always call the licensing board of california to be 100% certain tho!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a 4th year dental student in Michigan but originally from California. I spoke with a few of the CDCA coordinators at our mock exam and they told me that if you took the endo/pros portion this year already and are going to be taking the clinical portion in 2020, then it will still count towards licensure in CA. But if you took all portions of the exam prior to Nov 15, 2019, then it will NOT give you licensure in CA. At least that is what they told me, you can always call the licensing board of california to be 100% certain tho!
That is what I would expect to be the case. The official “pass” wouldn’t come until all parts are passed. It would be too difficult for them to audit all applications to make sure every part was taken and passed after that date. They will more likely just look at the final pass date. But as you said, you can always call and ask.
My original response was assuming the clinical portion was the final portion.

Current D4 here, I took mannikin CDCA in October 2019. Has anyone confirmed if you took mannikin portion before Nov 2019 but patient and written after Nov 2019 that you will be ok to apply for license in California?

hey were you ever able to confirm that is accurate? Im taking mannikin and written in March 2020 but I took mannnikins in Oct 2019

Current D4 here, I took mannikin CDCA in October 2019. Has anyone confirmed if you took mannikin portion before Nov 2019 but patient and written after Nov 2019 that you will be ok to apply for license in California?
This was posted recently on the California dental boards website. So its sounding like they are not going to accept any portion of the exam taken before November. I'm hoping we can find a way to get grandfathered in because I'm in the same boat. Took mannikin in October.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.43.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.43.52 PM.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Wow
This was posted recently on the California dental boards website. So its sounding like they are not going to accept any portion of the exam taken before November. I'm hoping we can find a way to get grandfathered in because I'm in the same boat. Took mannikin in October.
Wow, that is what that sounds like. And that seems pretty unreasonable.

It seems like they’re making up rules as they go.
Wow this is really disappointing. Do you think we can apply anyway and just hope they dont notice lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I am currently in the same boat. Applying for a CA licensure as a 2020 dental school graduate.
I've been practicing in the Midwest for the past 2.5 yrs and I took the Endo/prostho portion of the ADEX in Sept 2019 and the rest after Nov 15, 2019.

Any advise from those that have been through this?

TIA!