When would do you think I would be prepared to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your honest opinion, when do you think is the earliest time I could possibly take it? I did take a Kaplan class that started in January and ended in April and went to all of the lectures but didn't do much of the work I needed to. However, Kaplan is a waste anyway. I've gone through some of the EK and I'm very strong in Organic (don't miss a question on any practice test), pretty good at verbal, and bio kinda comes naturally to me but I think between EK Bio and TBR practice I will be fine. However, P.S. has been my weak area and I'm hoping it will be addressed by the TBR.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to tell because you've taken a course, yet you didn't do much work. I'd stick to a three month window since you're basically starting fresh. BR should help you in PS. Like I said in the other thread, don't rush this test. Kill the MCAT, then worry about applying. Taking a year off and building your application could be incredibly helpful. Your MCAT and GPA are important, but so are ECs. You can have a 3.9 and a 34, but if your ECs are weak, you might not get in anywhere.

I just really want to apply in this cycle and I feel other than the MCAT (TBA) I'm pretty competitive to get into medical school. My extracurriculars are fine, i have good letters of rec, a 3.7 gpa, an upward trend as well, and im applying as hispanic, which i've heard helps. So you think there is no way that I can get at least a 30 by June 17? I live in Florida so I have numerous state schools to choose from and some are not THAT difficult to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as practice scores...from experience, the review course's practice scores arent that predictive of the AAMC onces usually....so if you've taken those, i would be sure to take them with grain of salt

those tests just tell you where you are weak in your studies, not so much a number that you should take to predict your score....use the tests to gauge where you are in your studying

I'm not really sure, the only "real" one I've taken was the diagnostic from Kaplan in which I got a 20 (P 5 V 8 B 7), which apparently isn't representative of the real MCAT at all. I have a friend who got like a 22 on the diagnostic and got a 34 on the real deal. I just feel like there has to be something I can do to in order to do well by June 17. I don't get burned out so I was hoping to complete your 3 month schedule in 1.5 months. Just do 2 days worth of material in 1 and don't use any breaks. I saw a recent poster who got a 39 doing your schedule in about 2 months. So any thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm not really sure, the only "real" one I've taken was the diagnostic from Kaplan in which I got a 20 (P 5 V 8 B 7), which apparently isn't representative of the real MCAT at all. I have a friend who got like a 22 on the diagnostic and got a 34 on the real deal. I just feel like there has to be something I can do to in order to do well by June 17. I don't get burned out so I was hoping to complete your 3 month schedule in 1.5 months. Just do 2 days worth of material in 1 and don't use any breaks. I saw a recent poster who got a 39 doing your schedule in about 2 months. So any thoughts? Suggestions?

maybe someone else can elaborate more on this, but SN2ed's 3 month schedule is tough to do in 3 months, let alone half that..

if you really want to do it by june 17th, then you can try. whats the worst that can happen? you arent getting enough progress and you change your date by June 3rd...and the best case is that you get your scores up to where you want

only warning i would have is to try not to exhaust your aamc FL until you are almost sure of a date cuz those are gold for practice