When you first looked at the MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paintbullets

http://failblog.org/
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people. I'm currently a transfer sophomore and so far I've taken a year of inorganic and a semester of organic. I've also taken the first core bio class (I'm a bio major).

I remember one day at the school store I think mid-way through the semester I decided to go to the bookstore and open up a MCAT prep book since I've never seen one before. I think off the top of my head I was only able to get a few ochem questions (I bet I could do more now since I'm about to take the final for the first semester). I was sort of discouraged. I thought, wow I have a long way to go. But then I thought, I really don't.

Was the MCAT overwhelming when you first started studying for it, or did you feel like the material was familiar since you saw it in all your classes? I still have to take physics and biochem, but I'm not sure what else is going to be on there. I guess I'm looking more fore reassurance that it's not as bad as I think it is than an actual answer, but similar experiences that led to triumphs would be great :D

Members don't see this ad.

Yea it was tough the first time I looked at an MCAT prep book. And I have a 4.0 in college so far. (graduating next semester). Don't let it stop you, stick with it, take some time to really get into it, and you will do fine. Just remember, you need to take a good amount of time to go over everything before your exam. And use AAMC tests when you get to the point of taking full lengths.

I didn't really study per se, but when I did take a sample test and got a 36 with no real problems, I decided that it wasn't as hard as people made it out to be. You can usually just eliminate answers via logic if you aren't familiar with the topic.

I didn't really study per se, but when I did take a sample test and got a 36 with no real problems, I decided that it wasn't as hard as people made it out to be. You can usually just eliminate answers via logic if you aren't familiar with the topic.

Not the usual case.

Most of us have to study for two to three months. Maybe 20-30hrs a week.

It was and is a hard test but it can be overcome with some effort.

Just make sure to set aside enough time and take plenty of practice problems and tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
To not study for the mcat would be foolish......a few people are what I call outliers-They do well on standardized test no matter what the topic area.

I would personally study....I didn't study much myself but just got two acceptances to medical schools and waiting on one more gulp....

To not study for the mcat would be foolish......a few people are what I call outliers-They do well on standardized test no matter what the topic area.

I would personally study....I didn't study much myself but just got two acceptances to medical schools and waiting on one more gulp....

haha two is great. I would be happy to just get into one period!
Thanks everyone

When I first opened up an exam prep book, I wasn't overwhelmed with the content, but I was blown away from the test questions themselves. I knew it was going to be a tough test to crack. Just stick with it, and once you figure out those MCAT bastard's questions style, you will be fine.

Good Luck

When I first opened up an exam prep book, I wasn't overwhelmed with the content, but I was blown away from the test questions themselves. I knew it was going to be a tough test to crack. Just stick with it, and once you figure out those MCAT bastard's questions style, you will be fine.

Good Luck

Haha I think I felt the exact way when I opened one. Thanks again