when's the best time to do OIS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know we are gonna get paid for the five week training. i was thinking about doing it right before the dental school starts because i will be in a much higher tax bracket when on active duty. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can wait until you graduate you will get paid as an 0-3 instead of an 0-1, but if you can take a shorter course during a summer break I'd go for it. The Army used to have a 6 week program for those still in school but if you waited until you graduated you had to take a 11 week course, I think it's at least 12 weeks now. OBC sucks so do a short course if you can.

i know we are gonna get paid for the five week training. i was thinking about doing it right before the dental school starts because i will be in a much higher tax bracket when on active duty. What do you guys think?

If you go before school starts you will actually be able to get paid 45 days AD five (5) times throughout your four years in dental school because you get one period every FISCAL year.

Example

Summer '08 (Fiscal year '07)
ODS
Winter '08 (After Oct 1st, is fiscal year '08)
In school orders
Winter '09
In school orders
Winter '10
In school orders
Winter '11
In school orders

You can get paid five times, twice in '08!

It's never wise to think, "I'd rather not make more money to avoid higher taxes." You'll still end up with more money even if you pay more taxes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go before school starts you will actually be able to get paid 45 days AD five (5) times throughout your four years in dental school because you get one period every FISCAL year.

Example

ODS
In school orders
Winter '09
In school orders
Winter '10
In school orders
Winter '11
In school orders

It's never wise to think, "I'd rather not make more money to avoid higher taxes." You'll still end up with more money even if you pay more taxes.

thanks all for your input. I thought that the annual 45-day-active-duty pay is open to all, whether or not you have done the OIS/OBC.

Indeed it is. I am going to receive my money very soon and haven't done OIS yet!

Example

ODS
In school orders
Winter '09
In school orders
Winter '10
In school orders
Winter '11
In school orders

Perhaps it's different for other branches, but for the AF, they don't pay you 5 times. I went to COT in July before dental school and this was counted as my 45-day active duty tour for my freshman year....so no active duty pay for January of my first year when others in my class who had not gone to COT got it.

Perhaps it's different for other branches, but for the AF, they don't pay you 5 times. I went to COT in July before dental school and this was counted as my 45-day active duty tour for my freshman year....so no active duty pay for January of my first year when others in my class who had not gone to COT got it.

correct me if i am wrong, all three branches should have the same policy on this issue. also if i choose to save the OIS after school but before the payback time, When are we required to check in with the military? I don't want to go through the OIS at the time and postpone my entering into the navy, just to earn a few thousand dollars more as an O-3 officer.

Entering OBC or OIS after you graduate doesn't delay your official entry to active duty. I reported to OBC at the end of June after graduation, as soon as you report to OBC or your first station you are on active duty and your obligation time begins.

correct me if i am wrong, all three branches should have the same policy on this issue. also if i choose to save the OIS after school but before the payback time, When are we required to check in with the military? I don't want to go through the OIS at the time and postpone my entering into the navy, just to earn a few thousand dollars more as an O-3 officer.

IMO another big downside of doing OIS after graduation is that it's one additional 5 week stop between school and your first duty station. Maybe not a big deal to some but if your in the process of moving, possibly with family, trying to find a house, having house-hold items delivered, etc. it can be real headache as some of the people in my class found out.

I would rather complete OIS before graduation and have one less stop along the way. For instance one guy in my class went to school in Boston, had to stop in RI for OIS with his final duty station in CA. Before graduation he had to have a place rented so that his household items could be delivered which meant he rented a house without ever seeing it. Also he had to get ahold of someone at his new duty station that was nice enough to meet the moving truck so his items could be delivered. Anyway I think you get the picture.

Entering OBC or OIS after you graduate doesn't delay your official entry to active duty. I reported to OBC at the end of June after graduation, as soon as you report to OBC or your first station you are on active duty and your obligation time begins.

what happens if you had completed OBC/OIS by the end of june of your senior year? Would you get a break of 5 weeks or start work in clinic right away? TIA

I would rather complete OIS before graduation and have one less stop along the way. For instance one guy in my class went to school in Boston, had to stop in RI for OIS with his final duty station in CA. Before graduation he had to have a place rented so that his household items could be delivered which meant he rented a house without ever seeing it. Also he had to get ahold of someone at his new duty station that was nice enough to meet the moving truck so his items could be delivered. Anyway I think you get the picture.

Damn, only 5 weeks?! Army's is 10-12 weeks now.

Once you are on active duty the Army is required to pay for your family's travel and lodging. They should pay for travel and lodging for your family during the weeks you are in OIS. But if you do have family it may be easier to be able to go straight to your new base.

Also when you arrive at your new station, at least in the Army, you can elect to take 10 days of permissive TDY (you still get paid and it doesn't count against you leave time), during this time you can find a place to rent or buy. After that you will have at least 5 days to inprocess your new base and you can get your things delivered during that time. You should never have to have someone you don't know sign for your stuff or have to rent a place without seeing it.

If you do not do OIS the summer after your senior year, you will probably be required to report to your new station sometime in June.

Can you do your active duty 45 day period during the Christmas Jan break or is just for the summer months?

Can you do your active duty 45 day period during the Christmas Jan break or is just for the summer months?

So far the Navy has let you take your 45 days whenever you want. I usually like the extra money around Christmas so that's when I usually take mine.

Also don't forget that depending on your branch you can also do a "clerkship" at a Navy dental clinic during your 45 days AT. So if your interested in a specific program, AEGD, GPR, Prostho, etc. you can check it out before you make your decision and apply. I got them to fly me round-trip to Bethesda MA and put me up in a motel for a week while I check out a program I'm interested in. But this seems to be totally dependant on the branch of service. A buddy of mine on an HPSP sholarship with the AirForce tried to do the same and they told him no.

Air Force HPSPers do the 45-day campus tour every January. That's what they've told us anyway. So, as was earlier mentioned, we end up getting paid only four times. The summer before starting school while at COT, then 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.