Won’t have a license when I go active duty.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I never would have thought I would have found myself in this situation, but I won’t have a license by the time my active duty status begins. I have taken the boards over and over again and just keep failing. To further complicate the matter I will be getting stationed overseas, so I wouldn’t even be able to take it unless I can return to the US. How screwed am I? What do I even do at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I never would have thought I would have found myself in this situation, but I won’t have a license by the time my active duty status begins. I have taken the boards over and over again and just keep failing. To further complicate the matter I will be getting stationed overseas, so I wouldn’t even be able to take it unless I can return to the US. How screwed am I? What do I even do at this point?
Find a state that accepts the DLOSCE and do that. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I didn’t know about this. None of my administrators, faculty, or classmates have mentioned this. This is probably perfect for me.

Well the first possible date to take the DLOSCE is July 6’th and I have to report to Germany July 5’th and the Joint Commission on Dental Examinations say they will not allow the test to be taken outside the US or Canada, not even on military bases (I asked them just this morning). Does anyone know if it would be possible to have my orders amended to report a few days later?

Well the first possible date to take the DLOSCE is July 6’th and I have to report to Germany July 5’th and the Joint Commission on Dental Examinations say they will not allow the test to be taken outside the US or Canada, not even on military bases (I asked them just this morning). Does anyone know if it would be possible to have my orders amended to report a few days later?
It’s definitely possible - reach out to MAJ Drayton at HRC, assuming you’re army.

Reactions: 1 user
No clinical component required.
What's the catch to this? Seems like everyone would want to go this route. Is it more difficult to get licensed in certain states for when you get out or if you want to moonlight?

What's the catch to this? Seems like everyone would want to go this route. Is it more difficult to get licensed in certain states for when you get out or if you want to moonlight?
Looks like only a handful of states accept it, also, despite being a prometric based test the vast majority of centers aren’t authorized to offer it. It’s not offered at all in my home state.

have you talked to the assignment officer yet?