Where am I at so far...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm only a sophomore and will probably end up being a 5th year because of some major changes etc. But here's what I've got so far...

GPA - 3.78

ECs -
4 years clinical work experience (paid job)
Volunteer work at a Nursing home (just started, 2-3 hrs a week...have about 20 hrs so far)
I think I might apply to be an anatomy TA next year...not sure.

Am I lacking with ECs? What else should I be doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Nonmedical volunteering, shadowing, research.

If you get a lot of patient contact with your job, you can do community service that is medical or nonmedical. Having something nonmedical would be viewed well. A teaching experience will be helpful. Besides what Morsetlis mentioned, don't forget Leadership. You have enough time left in college to maybe start some community service where you'd eventually move into a leadership role.

Members don't see this ad :)
wouldn't being a TA count as a leadership position? ...or no?

TA is usually listed as Teaching. If you can make a convincing statement that it was really Leadership, then do so.

IMO, it depends on the way you instruct your peers as to whether it could be a leadership experience. If you are a resource available to answer questions you are asked, or stand in front of a group and regurgitate information, then that is not really leadership. If you inspire to go beyond the text, motivate to excel, cause to go in a direction that might not have been considered, teach critical thinking skills, demand better than what is provided, organize, take responsibility to bring about change, etc. then that is more like leadership. The narrative you provide in describing the experience should make clear that what you did was different than what is usually considered as teaching.