Where are the Medical Dosimetrists?!!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgonzalez014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been calling all of my local hospitals and medical clinics, but I am having no luck in finding a medical dosimetrist to shadow. I haven't even been able to talk to one yet. Everytime I have called, the person answering the phone has told me they are unable to transfer me or they don't know what I am talking about. I want to apply to a CMD school by the March 1st deadline, but I have no shadowing experience.

I live near the Los Angeles area (about 15 min away) and I really want to shadow a medical dosimetrist. I want to learn about this field first-hand, but I have been unlucky so far. Would schools also accept oncologist shadowing experience? Or should I just go to the hospital in person and ask to speak to one? Would it also benefit me if I shadow a radiation therapist?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been calling all of my local hospitals and medical clinics, but I am having no luck in finding a medical dosimetrist to shadow. I haven't even been able to talk to one yet. Everytime I have called, the person answering the phone has told me they are unable to transfer me or they don't know what I am talking about. I want to apply to a CMD school by the March 1st deadline, but I have no shadowing experience.

I live near the Los Angeles area (about 15 min away) and I really want to shadow a medical dosimetrist. I want to learn about this field first-hand, but I have been unlucky so far. Would schools also accept oncologist shadowing experience? Or should I just go to the hospital in person and ask to speak to one? Would it also benefit me if I shadow a radiation therapist?

I would probably call and ask to be transferred to the radiation oncology dept of the hospital. From there they should be able to get you in contact with dosimetry.

You might also try contacting a nearby dosimetry school and ask if they are aware of places that are open to having someone shadow. (Assuming there is a school in your area I don't know that much about dosi schools)