Where would you choose to live?

Started by radoncle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You just have to explain it - in the community.

I just say "We used to do that, but we've found it doesn't change the outcome. It's a boomer thing" a smile and a wink. For those not fluent in radoncwimpese, it translates to, "I am the doctor, I will treat this patient Friday and be aware of them on the weekend. They will get their next treatment on Monday. This is not a negotiation."

In academics and certain centers, you're coming on an Saturday if you treat on Friday - why not take advantage of the cheap labor? Sucks to be them. Same with my old Banner job. Man, the referrings loved making us see patients on call (neurosurgeon said: "What do you mean, Monday? I'm here at the hospital. Come see the patient." They loved treating on weekends and my leadership agreed with them. My first Saturday on call, I went to 4 hospitals, saw 4 consults, continued treatment for 2 patients and started another 1. Worked 7a to 3.30p that day, drove 150 miles, with a break for lunch. For what?

I've said it before, if it's Friday and palliative, just give more on the first fraction. If doing 30 in 10, give 4-5 on day 1 and then <3 on the next 9 treatments. It's fine.

Or, just don't take call. We ended it here. It was not useful. If there is a something that urgent, they should be at a center with a neurosurgeon or IR that can do procedures (for SVC).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I always question how we’re taught to give daily fractions, yet patients get to decide to take breaks and the issues regarding holidays and why we’re ok with giving 2-3 day breaks in between (looking at you Thanksgiving) but god forbid we can not start RT on a Friday! I came up with my own conclusion that it doesn’t matter. I think it’s more about the optics.

With all that said, I try to initiate RT “as soon as possible” of course only after steroids is given, a MRI is done and surgery says “no.” Fortunately, I’m 100% outpatient based so nothing is ever an emergency anymore.
Always found it funny that starting Thurs/Fri verboten, but finishing Monday/Tuesday just fine and dandy.