You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Where would you choose to live?
Started by radoncle
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Denver or Seattle
I too like fantasies.. but I shall return to my rural job as always Monday..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SF/NYC/LA. I’m also okay living in a small place forever and not owning though ha for the higher quality of life/interesting experiences (in my opinion) tradeoff.
If I could choose again, I would have picked a bigger city and gone to a slightly worse residency program. Where I lived was okay, but not where I would want to spend my 20s/early 30s if I were to do it again.
If I could choose again, I would have picked a bigger city and gone to a slightly worse residency program. Where I lived was okay, but not where I would want to spend my 20s/early 30s if I were to do it again.
Gramercy Park
You like your mountains with a side of bumper to bumper traffic, eh?Denver or Seattle
(family guy narrator)
Carlsbad. When you finally give up, this is where you'll end up.
Carlsbad. When you finally give up, this is where you'll end up.
We'll always have Salina....Carlsbad NM, El Paso TX or Rhinelander WI but alas
Man, crazy to see those jobs are not even open now or at the very least, not being advertised as much.
Eventually they will all get filled esp post apm/rocr etcMan, crazy to see those jobs are not even open now or at the very least, not being advertised as much.
D
deleted1111261
Salt Lake
Denver and environs
Austin
Phoenix
And, if unlimited wealth… Los Angeles.
And, if the time is right, SE Asia (anyone hiring in Chiang Mai?)
(I know someone on here has messaged me about SoCal, but we are in MI until my mom isn’t around)
Denver and environs
Austin
Phoenix
And, if unlimited wealth… Los Angeles.
And, if the time is right, SE Asia (anyone hiring in Chiang Mai?)
(I know someone on here has messaged me about SoCal, but we are in MI until my mom isn’t around)
La Jolla
La Jolla Shores, more specifically.La Jolla
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best & Worst States for Climate Change – Policygenius
See our list of best (and worst) places to live when it comes to climate change. We ranked each of the contiguous 48 states on several climate change-related factors.
www.policygenius.com
Top 12.
@RealSimulD already has it figured out
Great Lakes states. Water access and rights are going to be the limiting step in most areas. Coastal areas it'll be rising sea levels.How about with an eye towards climate change (wildfires, sea level rise, water shortages)? What's the best future-proof locale?
Western coast of Michigan is beautiful.
D
deleted1168505
Moorea, French Polynesia, flying back a few times a year for a couple locums stints until I just want to stay as far away from all of this as possible.
So no. You can be a hospital employee in Salina if you want I guess. I wouldn't recommend it.
The lady that owned that practice lost the hospital contract from what I heard even though they are still headquartered there.We'll always have Salina....
So no. You can be a hospital employee in Salina if you want I guess. I wouldn't recommend it.
I would be far more worried about your proximity to nuclear strike sites and ability to access a fallout shelter if you are really concerned about existential threats. So maybe that Salina job isn't so bad after all.How about with an eye towards climate change (wildfires, sea level rise, water shortages)? What's the best future-proof locale?
Lol. I took a ride in her husband's 911 turbo. They were milking it hard. Poor schmoes working for them.Moorea, French Polynesia, flying back a few times a year for a couple locums stints until I just want to stay as far away from all of this as possible.
The lady that owned that practice lost the hospital contract from what I heard even though they are still headquartered there.
So no. You can be a hospital employee in Salina if you want I guess. I wouldn't recommend it.
Noped out of there quick.
D
deleted1111261
![]()
Best & Worst States for Climate Change – Policygenius
See our list of best (and worst) places to live when it comes to climate change. We ranked each of the contiguous 48 states on several climate change-related factors.www.policygenius.com
View attachment 375362
Top 12.
@RealSimulD already has it figured out
I would love to say that this is a rational choice I made! But, when I moved here my local friends all said the same thing when I expressed some wistfulness about being back east.
Filial piety still has a strong hold on first generation Asians. I wonder if my kids will pay my mortgage like I did for mom and dad 🙂
Would be nice!
If you click through to the link they write this about Colorado:Is Colorado that good for climate change? It gets forest fires like California and is also expensive.
I’ll get a small cottage with a cherry tree in Traverse City one day, or a condo in Ann Arbor if I’m feeling bougie.
4. Colorado
At number four we have Colorado, a state with considerable wildfire and water-stress risk but low susceptibility to extreme heat. Like Vermont, Colorado is only expected to see one day with the heat index above 100 degrees by 2050 (in a low emissions scenario) and its population is the third-least vulnerable to extreme heat of any U.S. state
The Moon . . . or Mars.How about with an eye towards climate change (wildfires, sea level rise, water shortages)? What's the best future-proof locale?
D
deleted1168505
The Moon . . . or Mars.
Too cold.
OceanGate Co-Founder Wants to Send You to a Floating City in Venus by 2050
Provided we manage to stick around for a few more centuries, it feels almost inevitable that we'll eventually send some of our numbers to populate other worlds. How that happens isn't wholly clear.
If i had an unlimited amount of money i would buy myself an amazing castle ranch in Wyoming, montana, Idaho, nebraska, etc. i would fly out all the time and travel the world but this would be my base.
the idea of being off grid is very appealing to me. With climate change many “desirable” areas will be sunk or will become unlivable hellpits with no water and fires with terrible air. I might be in the minority, but i find so many “desirable” areas completely overrated.
the idea of being off grid is very appealing to me. With climate change many “desirable” areas will be sunk or will become unlivable hellpits with no water and fires with terrible air. I might be in the minority, but i find so many “desirable” areas completely overrated.
Last edited:
LOL, she told me she's never had a patient recurLol. I took a ride in her husband's 911 turbo. They were milking it hard. Poor schmoes working for them.
Noped out of there quick.
Would love to have my own castle with a microgrid fo sho replete with Tesla roofs and power walls and cybetrucks in a couple colorsIf i had an unlimited amount of money i would buy myself an amazing castle ranch in Wyoming, montana, Idaho, nebraska, etc. i would fly out all the time and travel the world but this would be my base.
the idea of being off grid is very appealing to me. With climate change many “desirable” areas will be sunk or will become unlivable hellpits with no water and fires with terrible air. I might be in the minority, but i find so many “desirable” areas completely overrated.
Was thinking maybe carolinas though.
The pure greed and aw shucks combined with the "we'll pay you later for your effort today" was just so tantalizing.LOL, she told me she's never had a patient recur
LOL, she told me she's never had a patient recur
If you don't see follow-ups or consults and just get paid on the work of all the employees of the multiple free standing facilities you own, you can't have patients recur
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m with you. I grew up east coast but love living in the upper Midwest now. I have relatively easy access to some great big cities and take advantage once a month or so but don’t deal with traffic in my daily life. Most people would not consider my location desirable and honestly I get it. I grew up in a suburb of a big eastern metro but my dad was from a town of 200 people and I was exposed to the rural lifestyle a lot from a young age and connect to it in a way a lot of people never will. Fortunately for me, my pay is good and no one is coming for my job 😛If i had an unlimited amount of money i would buy myself an amazing castle ranch in Wyoming, montana, Idaho, nebraska, etc. i would fly out all the time and travel the world but this would be my base.
the idea of being off grid is very appealing to me. With climate change many “desirable” areas will be sunk or will become unlivable hellpits with no water and fires with terrible air. I might be in the minority, but i find so many “desirable” areas completely overrated.
# this is the wayI’m with you. I grew up east coast but love living in the upper Midwest now. I have relatively easy access to some great big cities and take advantage once a month or so but don’t deal with traffic in my daily life. Most people would not consider my location desirable and honestly I get it. I grew up in a suburb of a big eastern metro but my dad was from a town of 200 people and I was exposed to the rural lifestyle a lot from a young age and connect to it in a way a lot of people never will. Fortunately for me, my pay is good and no one is coming for my job [emoji14]
is climate change really an important consideration in making a decision on where to live? Miami Beach real estate is doing great
Of course no one knows the answer but it obviously depends on a lot. I’m a huge climate advocate who fully believes the climate situation is an existential threat. I also believe that they’re a lot of unknowns but the reality is there is a timescale issue. How likely is it that the climate in a given area or sea level will change so dramatically that it will be rendered unlivable in an individual persons lifetime? Probably not that high. It also probably won’t happen over night or even over a decade. So, if you are just thinking about yourself, you will probably be fine. If you are thinking of a place to pass down for generations, maybe think more about it.is climate change really an important consideration in making a decision on where to live? Miami Beach real estate is doing great
q
i doubt Miami Beach will be underwater any time soon, but a few destructive hurricanes and inability to get insurance or a mortgage could ruin the housing market. And then it will be a good time time to sweep in and nab Paul wallners 8 million dollar vaca home on the cheap.Of course no one knows the answer but it obviously depends on a lot. I’m a huge climate advocate who fully believes the climate situation is an existential threat. I also believe that they’re a lot of unknowns but the reality is there is a timescale issue. How likely is it that the climate in a given area or sea level will change so dramatically that it will be rendered unlivable in an individual persons lifetime? Probably not that high. It also probably won’t happen over night or even over a decade. So, if you are just thinking about yourself, you will probably be fine. If you are thinking of a place to pass down for generations, maybe think more about it.
Last edited:
Waiting for this exact situation..q
i doubt Miami Beach will be underwater any time soon, but a few destructive hurricanes and inability to get insurance or a mortgage could ruin the housing market. And then it will be a good time time to sweep in and nab Paul wallners 8 million dollar vaca home on the cheap.
It floods routinely now.... king tides. Miami is built on limestone too, flooding from underneathq
i doubt Miami Beach will be underwater any time soon, but a few destructive hurricanes and inability to get insurance or a mortgage could ruin the housing market. And then it will be a good time time to sweep in and nab Paul wallners 8 million dollar vaca home on the cheap.
How King Tides Lead to Sunny Day Flooding in South Florida
About five times every autumn, the higher-than-normal King Tides lead to sunny day or tidal flooding in South Florida. Each round can last two to four days and occur when we have a new or full moon. 2022’s King Tides are September 10-12 and 27-28 along with October 7-12 and 24-28 and finally...
www.nbcmiami.com
Ya’ll are not thinking billionaire style… Mars!!
"I'd like to die on Mars, preferably not on impact"Ya’ll are not thinking billionaire style… Mars!!
Michigan has new license platesGreat Lakes states. Water access and rights are going to be the limiting step in most areas. Coastal areas it'll be rising sea levels.
Western coast of Michigan is beautiful.
Water-Winter-Wonderland
It really is.
My grandfather was a cattle rancher in Southern Utah, I spent a month on the farm with him as an 8 year old boy.If i had an unlimited amount of money i would buy myself an amazing castle ranch in Wyoming, montana, Idaho, nebraska, etc. i would fly out all the time and travel the world but this would be my base.
the idea of being off grid is very appealing to me. With climate change many “desirable” areas will be sunk or will become unlivable hellpits with no water and fires with terrible air. I might be in the minority, but i find so many “desirable” areas completely overrated.
Good times but a hard life, the calves tend to be born in the middle of the night when it's snowing outside, sort of how cord compressions always happen on the weekends. It did keep him fit though.
Cord compression happens on Monday. They call me Friday night.
Fri night calls are fun.. helps to fill your Sat morningCord compression happens on Monday. They call me Friday night.
Compression consult at 2:45 pm on Fri is the worst
same week is very rare in my region
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1-2 dayOut of curiosity wonder what average time from consult to surgery for patients that have decompression. What is typical for most of you?
I will say same day is very rare in my region
next weekday usually (hospital has a NSurg residency)
I always question how we’re taught to give daily fractions, yet patients get to decide to take breaks and the issues regarding holidays and why we’re ok with giving 2-3 day breaks in between (looking at you Thanksgiving) but god forbid we can not start RT on a Friday! I came up with my own conclusion that it doesn’t matter. I think it’s more about the optics.We are usually a few days
Just makes you wonder the utility of weekend radiation
With all that said, I try to initiate RT “as soon as possible” of course only after steroids is given, a MRI is done and surgery says “no.” Fortunately, I’m 100% outpatient based so nothing is ever an emergency anymore.
Last edited:
I came up with my own conclusion that it doesn’t matter. I think it’s more about the optics.
Ding ding ding
Biggest problem is convincing the consulting docs that it doesn't matter
Similar threads
- Replies
- 45
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 90
- Views
- 13K