WHERE ARE THE MINORITY STUDENTS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello to my fellow URM's, I feel like I've reached an oasis in the barren desert of the med school application process. Which schools are you applying to and why? How did you determine which schools were especially friendly to URM's? I'm interested in contacting minority admissions deans at several med schools, but what can they really do to help me? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

okay my fellow future doctors. here is my preliminary med school applications list.

yale- the numbers speak for themselves. their class is usually close to 20% urms. plus i know a urm who went there and loved it.

u.of illinois- great to urms. they have a latino med student organization that is one of the best. only drawback is they only accept like 12% out of staters.

tulane- they love students who have some experiences abroad. their tropical medicine is world famous and you can get an mph without adding another school year.

new jersey med- have the most latino students in the u.s.

r.wood johnson(nj) second highest latino matriculants.

einstein- have a friend there right now and is in nyc. the most diverse city in the world.

columbia- maybe a pipe dream but i figure i'll give it a shot. urm numbers are 11%.... not too shabby.

cornell- i have to do it on principle. i was born in their hospital. may be i can come back full circle. ha ha ha lol

mount sinai- love their urm numbers. also have heard great things about how great they treat the students. really good school.

suny-downstate- good numbers and great clinical exposure.

case western- awesome school.15% urms and probably the best school to apply to if you are non-trad also.

ohio state- have a good dept. in the specialty i want to pursue. 10% urm...not bad

wright state- 22% urms...wow! have real good clinical exposure. however if you are not interested in primary care don't even try it.

mcp hahneman-good school in philly. 17% urms and they love non-trads and women. only drawback is a very large class(265 students)

jefferson med- good for non-trads and out of staters. but urms is 6%...uugghhhhh!

temple- some people complain that the area around campus is bad but helloooooo! we are going to be doctors! who do you think needs us the most. 18% urms.

penn- ah alas my dream school. where do i start.one of the top schools in the world. 17% urms.......yes baby! also have met a few doctors who have gone there and my goodness. if i got accepted there...i'm getting my m.d. there!

u. of pittsburgh- my second choice and they are a great school for non-trads. awesome board scores and curriculum.

michigan- i5% urms and great rep. good chances for out of staters.

michigan state u- 23% urm...hello! good clinical program but they really stress primary care.

u. of north carolina- have been to the campus many times and still have friends there. great place and school.

new york med- only 8% but have heard they like non-trads. honestly, don't know much about the school.

u. of miami- i'm going there now and it looks like a good idea. is one of the top 5 schools in terms of clinical exposure. you see it all. also great with urms!!!!!

u of south fla-state school and treat students good. awesome facilities.

florida state- the newest school in the nation. but have no teaching hospital. will be community based.state school also.

u. of fla- good school, cheap tuition but they really suck with urms. will apply any way but whatever......

there are a few more i am pondering but i hope this helped. take care guys and look forward to your responses. :cool:

this is just a list...I'm not saying I'm going to apply to these schools. Most of them have pretty good URM rates and others "just looking":
howard
meharry
case western
penn
ucsf
usc
uni of michigan -ann arbor
wayne state
duke
morehouse
emory
mercer
augusta
medical college of georgia
iowa - buckeyes
michigan state
yale
wakeforest
unc
u of illinios
south carolina
east tennesee
east carolina
stanford (long shot but I know a urm who got in)
temple
tufts
uni of wisconsin
lsu
Pitt
If you haven't noticed, I'm from Ga. If you want to know why just ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatsup all my fellow URM students. ( We really need a new acronym ;) )

Let me offer some divergent info.

DO schools with high URM populations

DMU-19%
CCOM-21%
UMDNJSOM-23%
OUCOM-23%( Ohio)
OSCOM-20%( Oklahoma)
NOVA- don't have the numbers available, but I think so

Also NYCOM has an interesting summer program that cators to getting minority students into their program. It's no cakewalk and a good number of students don't make it through. But it's there.
Take the above number as indication of these schools alone. DO schools have historically had a smaller percentage of minority students than allopathic.

Peace to all, and I'm glad we representing in greater numbers on this board. Much love to 8deuce for kicking it off.

In good faith,
bluphilosopher
PCOM 2005

Why does everyone feel the need to apply to schools with high percentages of URMs? I believe you should not limit yourself to those schools. You should go where you feel comfortable, but you should also know that not all hospitals and private practices will reflect the same URM ratios. Again go where you think you "fit in" or feel comfortable, but why should you concentrate on the %of URM at each school?

Why does everyone feel the need to apply to schools with high percentages of URMs? I believe you should not limit yourself to those schools. You should go where you feel comfortable, but you should also know that not all hospitals and private practices will reflect the same URM ratios. Again go where you think you "fit in" or feel comfortable, but why should you concentrate on the %of URM at each school?

Originally posted by scooby doo doo:
•Why does everyone feel the need to apply to schools with high percentages of URMs? I believe you should not limit yourself to those schools. You should go where you feel comfortable, but you should also know that not all hospitals and private practices will reflect the same URM ratios. Again go where you think you "fit in" or feel comfortable, but why should you concentrate on the %of URM at each school?•

i agree with your message, scooby, but schools with higher percentages of URM's are likely to be more sensitive to the needs and issues faced by students of color and go to some length to actively recruit and support minority students. If the forum members were only interested in attending medical school with high percentages of URM's then they would apply only to schools with a high percentage of ethnic students, such as historically-black colleges. This is not the case here. Med school is hard enough, why burden yourself with having to deal with race-related problems?

My advice is don't limit yourself to schools with high URM% but also match your stats with the schools you are applying to. Apply to a range of schools (make sure to apply to a few schools above and below your stats). Plus research the schools !!! This is so important. For example...someone listed the LSU schools as an option but stated they were a resident of Georgia (I think)...the LSU system schools only take residents of Louisiana. The main thing is to be smart about what schools you apply to. Good luck to everyone that is going through the process!!! :)

Obviously you guys didn't get the point. THIS IS JUST A LIST. I said I was just looking...that doesn't mean I'm going to apply for them. Plus, most of them I haven't researched yet i.e. I'M JUST LOOKING. I've heard good and bad things about most of these schools so that's why most of them are on the list. Reading is a fundamental but paying attention is a skill.
Anyway, I don't plan on applying to all schools with high URM's. I'd probably end up shooting myself in the foot. Trust me, I know how the game is played.

hey bluphilosopher thanks for the props. just curious, but are you a philosophy major? philosophy is my major and just wanted to see. if you are a philosopher, what branch do you enjoy the most? well lets keep the urms strong. but it's true that we need a new acronym. have you thought of any? oh i almost forgot nova is great with urms and is a great school period. my cousin went there and a friend of mine is graduating in a few weeks. nothing but good things to say. only drawback is it is an expensive school though. well take care!

Originally posted by 8deuce:
•hey bluphilosopher thanks for the props. just curious, but are you a philosophy major? philosophy is my major and just wanted to see. if you are a philosopher, what branch do you enjoy the most? •

I'm a phil major too. I like Ethics a lot...it really fascinates me.

Karen

hi there sistakaren! wow ethics. i haven't dived into ethics as much as i should but it is interesting. what is it that fascinates you about it? i am into sociopolitical philosophy and that has been my main objective. who are your favorite philosophers? well i hope to get a response from you. hope chapel hill is treating you good. i love the place and have been there quite a few times when i was in the military stationed in fort bragg. take care! :cool:

Originally posted by 8deuce:
•hey bluphilosopher thanks for the props. just curious, but are you a philosophy major? philosophy is my major and just wanted to see. if you are a philosopher, what branch do you enjoy the most? well lets keep the urms strong. but it's true that we need a new acronym. have you thought of any? oh i almost forgot nova is great with urms and is a great school period. my cousin went there and a friend of mine is graduating in a few weeks. nothing but good things to say. only drawback is it is an expensive school though. well take care!•

Whatsup 8deuce
Sorry for the delay. I've been internetless for the past couple of days.
No I'm not a philosophy major. Bluphilosopher is simply my line name for my fraternity. I gave it to myself :D , mostly because I always made some of the deepest and most enigmatic statements during group discussion. Other than my utter misrepresentation of the word " philosophy", there's nothing philosophical about me at all.
New Acronym? I'm stumped! Although I tire of being called the URM or a representative for URM's, it'll have to do for now. ( I keep thinking of how those three letters sound when pronounced as a word.... eeeeeerrrmmm)
Peace to ya'
bluphilosopher
PCOM 2005

Hey everybody,

I just found this thread and wanted to chime in. I'm a urm and an engineering major at Univ. of Cinti. I'm taking the MCAT in August and hope to enter med school in 2002. Good luck to all.