WHERE ARE THE MINORITY STUDENTS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8deuce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY EVERYBODY!! JUST CURIOUS TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY UNDERREP MINORITY STUDENTS AROUND. I'M AN OLDER, NON-TRAD WHO IS TRYING TO GET INFO ON WHICH MED SCHOOLS HAVE A GOOD RECORD WITH UNDEREP STUDENTS AND THE NUMBERS (MCAT,GPA) OF ACCEPTED URM PRE-MEDS. THANKS AND GOD BLESS.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

You should purchase the Minority Student Opportunities catalog from the AAMC on their website aamc.org. It's $19 incl shipping. It's well worth it.

thanks alot scooby doo doo.i see this was your first post. look forward to communicating in the future. are you an urm? have you applied to med school yet? thanks again....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am a urm and I am also a non-traditional applicant as well. This April will be my first time taking the MCAT and this June will be the first time I'm applying. I have great stats and have been studying for the MCAT religiously, however I am still on edge about the application process because I want to get in (badly).

I have a list of 25 schools that I am considering and the MCAT will decide how many of them I will be applying to.

How about you?

wow that is great. i wish i was taking the mcat now but since i'm going to apply next year i will take it next april. i have also researched about possible schools and the list is about 28. do you have an idea which ones you think you have the best shot at even with an avg. mcat? what were some things which helped you select them i.e. clinical exposure,diversity,financial. thanks for getting back to me.

I hope I won't have average MCAT scores (taking Princeton Review course and have been doing exceedingly well). Since you won't be taking it for a year, my advice: start next Dec-Jan with studying. Save up and buy ALL the AAMC practice tests, try to take them timed, buy a prep book and review the subject material. You can start now by getting in the habit of reading newspapers, journal articles, books, etc for the Verbal section.

I am choosing schools based upon location, quality of the education (e.g. early clinical exposure), and based upon past/present med students' advice. All of the schools I'm applying to are private except for the University of Washington and all are concentrated in large US cities (except for Mayo and the University of Rochester).

I am particularly interested in Priztker, NYU, Case Western (big on non-traditional applicants), and MCP Hanneman. I have steered away from Cali schools (UCLA,USC,UCSF) and D.C. schools because of the number of applications they receive every year.

You should think about your state school(s) and you should definately purchase the 2001-2002 Medical School Admission Requirements book from AAMC directly or at a bookstore when it becomes available April 20th. Read through all the listings and you will get a sense of what they are about and what they look for in a candidate.

Make sure you know the % of out-of-state applicants that are accepted if you choose to apply to public med schools.

If you can't wait until the 20th, you can purchase either Kaplan's or Princeton Review's Med School Admissions book from any bookstore now. They have great advice and both would be very helpful to you.

[This message has been edited by scooby doo doo (edited April 05, 2001).]

sounds like you have done your home work. i definitely know a little about case western because i am shadowing an ob/gyn who went there. he told me the school loves to have older, non-trads and the admissions tries to get as many as possible.in addition, the clinical exposure is awesome ( he was assigned to a 23 year old pregnant woman as a ms-1)and the curriculum is pbl and case based. he absolutely loved cleveland and the hospitals. i will apply there for sure.i have no knowledge of pritzker except that it's in chi-town. are they good with urm.hope the info on case helped out.
cool.gif

i can't believe that there aren't that many minorities who post on this site. i would like to get any info on accepted med schools or summer opportunities or any other cool sites for pre-meds.yo scooby doo doo how is it in the pac northwest?

If you'd like information on medical school and medical school resources on the web, then I think any person who regularly posts would be able to help you. Ask a question, someone will answer. There actually are a lot of minority students on this board, just look up some similar threads in the search function in the upper right corner of the page. Have a great day.

Eric

Deuce, you must get the Minority Student Opportunities book that I was telling you about. Each US med school gives recruitment, admission, fin aid, and info about any summer enrichment (MMEP and others) or pre-matriculation programs. I swear it'll answer all of your questions (or you can call the schools' Office of Minority Affairs Office that's listed and they will be able to send you info).

Look into the University of Pitsburgh its not very well known but the curriculum is excellent, the student body in non-competetive and very inclusive of everybody. The numbers (%URM) don't look so great but the school is very supportive. The city of Pittsburgh kind of grows on you.
If you have any questions let me know.

P.S. URM and non-trad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by EricCSU:
If you'd like information on medical school and medical school resources on the web, then I think any person who regularly posts would be able to help you. Ask a question, someone will answer. There actually are a lot of minority students on this board, just look up some similar threads in the search function in the upper right corner of the page. Have a great day.

Eric

thanks eric. i'
m new on this site but it is the the funk. i was not aware of the search functions for old threads.you learn something new everyday. have a good one!

Originally posted by BlueFalcon:
Hey Deuce,

The University of North Carolina is very serious about minority recruitment. If you're interested in contact information, let me know.

HEY BLUEFALCON I WOULD LOVE TO GO TO CHAPEL HILL. I HAVE BEEN THERE QUITE A FEW TIMES AND I LOVED IT. THE REASON FOR MY SCREEN NAME 8DEUCE IS FOR THE 82ND AIRBORNE DIVISION IN FAYETTEVILLE,NC. I SERVED WITH THEM FROM 1989-92 AND WAS IN THE PERSIAN GULF WAR 90-91. I HOPE MED SCHOOL ISN'T AS TOUGH AS THE 504TH INFANTRY(WHEW!!)) ANYWAYS I STRUCK UP A FRIENDSHIP WITH A COUPLE OF STUDENTS AND WE STILL KEEP IN CONTACT. THEY INFORMED ME IT IS A GREAT SCHOOL BUT OUT OF THEIR ACCEPTEES ONLY ABOUT 5% ARE OUT OF STATE STUDENTS. SO I THOUGHT MY CHANCES WERE JUST ABOUT ZERO AND HAVEN'T LOOKED INTO IT FURTHER. I WOULD LOVE ALL THE INFO ON UNC AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY CONJURE UP. THANKS AND GO TAR HEELS!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by tonem:
Look into the University of Pitsburgh its not very well known but the curriculum is excellent, the student body in non-competetive and very inclusive of everybody. The numbers (%URM) don't look so great but the school is very supportive. The city of Pittsburgh kind of grows on you.
If you have any questions let me know.
HI TONEM. AS A MATTER OF FACT PITT IS ONE OF THE TOP SHOOLS ON MY WISH LIST. I HAVE A GOOD AMOUNT OF LITERATURE ON THE SCHOOL. THE PERSON TO PERSON APPROACH IS GROUNDBREAKING AND THIS CURRICULUM IS HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL. OVER THE PAST 4 YEARS 99.9 PERCENT OF STUDENTS PASSED USMLE STEP1.NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL AWESOME!!!P.S. ALSO AS I DID A WORK STUDY AT A VA HOSPITAL MY SUPERVISOR WAS A PITT GRAD AND THAT IS HOW I GOT ALL THE LIT ON THEM. JUST A GREAT SCHOOL HANDS DOWN. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YA THANKS!

hoorahhh!!! it's great to know there is a fellow all-american paratrooper on this site. congrats on being accepted to a great school.thanks for the reply and i will e-mail you with specifics. far away,far away, she's waiting for that airborne ranger far far away!!!!!

death from above

yo sooby doo doo where are you?????????? ibet you are studying your but off for the mcat. 14 days and..........

All the minority students, like me, are bustin their assses trying to pay for college. I work full time, go to school full time, and am studying until I puke for the MCAT. Don't worry honey, your not alone.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Rhiana:
All the minority students, like me, are bustin their assses trying to pay for college. I work full time, go to school full time, and am studying until I puke for the MCAT. Don't worry honey, your not alone.

i hear you rhiana. good luck on the mcat and look forward to reading some of your messages in the future. take care

Keep it up! I'm a URM. I applied this year for the first time and I got in.
Good luck to those still trying and don't give up.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by oscar505:
Keep it up! I'm a URM. I applied this year for the first time and I got in.
Good luck to those still trying and don't give up.

hey oscar505, can you give me an idea of the numbers of any minority acceptees you know. if you don't mind can you print your numbers (gpa,mcat) and tell us to which schools you got accepted. any bit of info helps. thanks

oscar505 are you latino? i think i read somewhere that you're heading to arizona. can you give me the info i asked on the previous message to you? thanks a lot.

hey is everybody studying for mcat

hey is everybody studying for mcat

Hey guys, add Wright State University in Ohio to the list. They actually seek out URM's, as well as non-trads. As I recall the student body was around 30% URM. Not too shabby! Don't let the state school thing scare you, they seem to be friendly to out of state students too. Good Luck,

Mango MS1

non-trad minorities

Hey Deuce: Yeah I am hispanic. From central america originally. I got a 3.49, biochem major, 9's on mcat, heading to U Washington in seattle for med school. I never applied to arizona cuz they don;t accept out of staters.

Oscar

sorry, I got waitlisted at U New mexico, rejected by many others. Interviewed at 3.
it seems very discouraging but the idea is to apply to the ones where you think you may have a chance. Any questions let me know.

Oscar

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by oscar505:
Hey Deuce: Yeah I am hispanic. From central america originally. I got a 3.49, biochem major, 9's on mcat, heading to U Washington in seattle for med school. I never applied to arizona cuz they don;t accept out of staters.

Oscar
wow! you got in to a great school. by the way i live in miami and i have great friends here from central america. some from honduras, costa rica,and nicaragua. good luck at uw and thanks for the reply.

As an URM I'm glad people have actually started responding to these types of post. Much love to all...and keep up the studying

wannabe a Dr.

Sunlyght

Hey oscar505,

Are you going to the UW Summer pre-matriculation program? Also, did you have any contact with the School of Medicine Office of Minority Affairs Office before or during your application process?

Hey Deuce: Yeah I know there's lots of people from central america in Miami. I have actually never been there but I know it's a cool place to visit. I am from El Salvador. Yeah the UW is supposed to be a cool school and I am pretty happy with the idea of going there.

Scooby Doo: Actually I did not know about the office of multicultural affairs until I got the request for the interview. I was told that they interview everyone who is an out-of-region applicant regardless of your race/ethnic background. But don;t worry they are the nicest people you will ever meet. The folks that interview have a reputation of being hard-asses wth everyone they interview. Some people get eaten alive. My interview was totally easygoing and they were cool with me. I never encountered any difficulties through the whole process with them. For more info on interviewing at UW check out www.interviewfeedback.com and select the school you wanna learn more about. It has them all.

hey scooby: I was told about the summer pre-matriculation program during the interview with the OMCA. It would have been great to do it but I will be going to Africa this summer so I won't have time to. It would have been nice to get a head start but I can't get outta of my africa commitment, otherwise I would have.

Oscar

9 days till d-day aaarrghhh!!!!!!
good luck all!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mango:
Hey guys, add Wright State University in Ohio to the list. They actually seek out URM's, as well as non-trads. As I recall the student body was around 30% URM. Not too shabby! Don't let the state school thing scare you, they seem to be friendly to out of state students too. Good Luck,

Mango MS1

I thought i read somewhere that they don't accept out of state students. Is this true?

I'm a URM and proud of it. There are some wonderful resources out there. Try getting Keepsake a magazine for miority premeds. It tells you everything you need to know. try this site for it http://www.minoritymedicalstudents.com/
and then there is the minority student opportunites book fromthe AAMC some one sugested. More info here
http://www.geocities.com/premedsource/minority.html
Also talk to minority affairs deans they are there to help you.
i'm sure they will block out the website addresses email me for more info [email protected]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by pinkie08:
I'm a URM and proud of it. There are some wonderful resources out there. Try getting Keepsake a magazine for miority premeds. It tells you everything you need to know. try this site for it http://www.minoritymedicalstudents.com/
and then there is the minority student opportunites book fromthe AAMC some one sugested. More info here
http://www.geocities.com/premedsource/minority.html
Also talk to minority affairs deans they are there to help you.
i'm sure they will block out the website addresses email me for more info [email protected]

hey pinkie thanks for the input. have you been accepted to med school yet? i am still a pre-med so i am trying to get as much info from as many urm students as possible. any info about numbers needed(gpa mcat) and what schools really look for urm. i am the original poster and the response has been great.looking forward to your reply.

I'm a URM with a 3.9 gpa and a 30 MCAT. I've been accepted at Baylor and Duke, which both do really good jobs at recruiting minorities. I got acquainted with Baylor because of their MMEP (Minority Medical Education ) program which I went to in the summer of '98. I would suggest looking at med schools that participate in that program.

I'm not a URM, but some of my best friends are, and I have to second OUaj2's recommendations -- both Duke and Baylor offer very enticing incentives to recruit URMs, and I have friends at both places that are very happy.

OU, out of curiosity, have you made a decision yet? They're both excellent, so I'm sure you will be happy either place. Like I said, I have friends at both places if you need information.

In response to lilycat, I haven't made a decision yet, as both schools made me really great financial offers. I am more familiar with Baylor, though. More info would be much appreciated.

where are you guys? DId you pass out after the MCAT or what?

Hey, back from the MCAT. Writing my essays for the AMCAS app and finalizing what schools I'm applying to. How about you (are you applying this year or did you get in already)?

No, I'm not applying until next year. I'm still working on pre-reqs. But I do enjoy reading the post and the advice everyone was giving. I was missing that :(

Keep posting on how you do. Oh yeah, what schools are you applying too?

hey everyone! 8deuce is back in the house. but i am so pissed off b/c i got a "c" in a humanities class. i am going to my professors office tomorrow b/c he must have made a mistake. i had a high "b" avg and the last test would not have brought it down even if i failed it. which i know i didn't. this sucks! does anyone know if a prof. can go and change the grade if it is already in the computer? has anybody gone through this before and your prof. changed the grade? please let me know and congrats for you guys that have been accepted. sunlyght and i have to wait for next year. thanks :(

hey 8deuce!! I was wondering where you had been. As far as your dilemma is concerned. GO talk to the professor, then you might have to file an appeal form for your grade. I had to do this and it worked. My grade was changed!! Don't fret...it'll work out.
Anyway, what schools are you hoping to apply for?

hey sunlyght! nice to hear from you. well thanks for the info. i will go by my prof. office tomorrow and take care of this matter. well i will be applying to about 30 schools that are cool with non-trads and minorities. i wish i could go to cali but i know they only take in state residents. if you want to know all the schools i will apply to, i will post it up after your response. maybe you know about some schools that i don't. thanks and take care sunlyght!!!!!!! :cool:

i so need to be studying, but oh well :)
Yeah, you can post the schools your going to apply for. I've personally got a list of about 23 but there's always room for more :) I go to school in cali, but i don't want to stay here for med school. I actually would like to go to a state school in GA or somewhere on the other side of the country. Talk to you later :)

Well, the number of schools that I'm applying to all depends on the MCAT score that I receive in June. The maximum would be 25 schools and the minimum would be 15 schools. I'll let everyone know my progress come June 21st when scores come back.

I truly believe that you shouldn't limit yourself with the number of schools that you include in the AMCAS. There is definately room to weed out in the secondary step then later in the interview step. I definately feel like I need around eight interview invites for me to feel like I have a chance.

Hi Everyone,

I am also in the process of applying for the 2002 year. I only have about 15 schools that I am really interested in attending. However, I would like to hedge my bets a little so can anyone tell me what schools they are applying to as URM's and why these particular schools. My advisor suggested that 15-25 schools would be good but I'm still in the searching process so...

Any replies and suggestions are welcome.

Kandy

I just wanted to add that none of you should sell yourself short in terms of schools in determining where you should apply. Different med school judge urms different ways, so it is useful to apply to a lot of schools and it is useful to apply to schools which you might not have thought that you could have gotten into.