Where are the mods???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And, I can wipe your *** with the TOS. Everyone says they read them, but, I have. Jailhouse lawyer got nothing on me!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
And, I look like a total loser for several, in a row, posts, at just before 3am!

KLF, 1992, "It's 3am, 3am, 3am, etereeeernabal"!

Apollyon, I suspect I am very similar to you IRL, even down to being a [lapsed] upstater and digging old-school ambient and gardening and obscure lit/pop references, so please don't take any of the following as intended to offend.

If you are interested, I would support you for mod, with reservations. You've been on SDN since I was in undergrad and you clearly know all the rules. And you can be great at reading between the lines and seeing details that other posters miss. And I usually agree with your advice.

But, you have also started some of the most awkward exchanges I've read in my 7 years on here. They sometimes appear to border on trolling to a third-party observer. I can pull out a few if you're curious. I can usually understand where you're coming from and what your goal/point is, although sometimes I have to think about it a bit. But if I were a med stud or a more neurotypical guy in general, I could easily see myself being offended, weirded out, or otherwise discouraged to post by some of your stuff.

Eg, what's the point of the 4 posts you just made above? Yes, the mod went overboard in playing the old/veteran card, but who cares if he's a med stud? Are you trying to publicly call him out, or show that you know more about the TOS than him, or institute behavior change, or what? Why not just PM him about all this instead of publicly fanning the flames?

TL;DR IMO most of us are on the same team and it's usually better to give newcomers or outsiders the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apollyon, I suspect I am very similar to you IRL, even down to being a [lapsed] upstater and digging old-school ambient and gardening and obscure lit/pop references, so please don't take any of the following as intended to offend.

If you are interested, I would support you for mod, with reservations. You've been on SDN since I was in undergrad and you clearly know all the rules. And you can be great at reading between the lines and seeing details that other posters miss. And I usually agree with your advice.

But, you have also started some of the most awkward exchanges I've read in my 7 years on here. They sometimes appear to border on trolling to a third-party observer. I can pull out a few if you're curious. I can usually understand where you're coming from and what your goal/point is, although sometimes I have to think about it a bit. But if I were a med stud or a more neurotypical guy in general, I could easily see myself being offended, weirded out, or otherwise discouraged to post by some of your stuff.

Eg, what's the point of the 4 posts you just made above? Yes, the mod went overboard in playing the old/veteran card, but who cares if he's a med stud? Are you trying to publicly call him out, or show that you know more about the TOS than him, or institute behavior change, or what? Why not just PM him about all this instead of publicly fanning the flames?

TL;DR IMO most of us are on the same team and it's usually better to give newcomers or outsiders the benefit of the doubt.

I think the whole point was that a moderator shut down the thread without giving any fair warning and without posting their identity. I for one would appreciate the courtesy of someone at the very least identifying the relevant infringement (after all, if nobody knows what they did, it's bound to happen again) as well as taking responsibility as the one making the administrative decision from the get go. It's too easy to anonymously moderate a post or group of posts these days. I say if someone wants to unilaterally make a decision to shut down a thread in the EM forum, he or she should take responsibility for it and identify themselves from the beginning. I don't ever see @Arch Guillotti doing that, it's usually at the very least a short and brief "shutting down for X", etc.. As for Apo being mod and having opinions...is there some requirement that in order to be mod you can't have a strong opinion from time to time or God forbid go off on a colorful tirade? We're running him for SDN moderator, not state senator or priest.

Another formal vote for @Apollyon as mod, and dude....you've got that damn KLF Eternal song stuck in my head now. I can still remember the music video with the first gen, ginormous cell phone. "KLF IS GONNA ROCK YOU!!"

The thing that annoys me is that I see threads being shut down not necessarily for legitimate TOS issues but more as a result of our own cancel culture on here. Piss off enough people and the anonymous complaints come out of the wood work and people get muzzled or threads shut down. Grievance mongering... God forbid you hurt somebody's feelings these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Oh man - so passive/aggressive. If you are a combat vet - first, God's honest truth, thank you for your service, and thank heavens that you got home safely. But, as a combat vet, you know that trust extends to the soldier/sailor/Marine right next to you. I stand by my use of "dregs", as that is historical on SDN. That is not up to debate. My point was that one stands up, clearly, in the light, for what one does. Anonymous moderating has no honor, because, as Paul Newman said, "A man with no enemies is a man with no character". Stand up for what you stand, or what you believe. I'm telling you, after 19 years on SDN (appeal to authority), after the fact moderation looks REALLY weak. No character in that.

Oh, is that what you're fussing about? That you didn't know who locked it? That's my bad, it wasn't meant to be anonymous, I just forgot that y'all can't see who locked the threads (for admins/mods it shows who locked it). It wasn't meant to hide my identity. If I was, why would I have posted in this thread that I locked the TPA thread, and honestly, why would I care about hiding my identity in the first place? As I said, it was late and I decided to make a quick sweep of the reports before going to bed and I wanted to put that thread in stasis because it was creating a backlog of reports.

As for your question regarding my expert status, well, not every expert has a badge for a medical specialty, some have badges for the medical school/residency process. The TLDR is that I'm one of the go-to folks for veterans pursuing health care schooling that are seeking assistance with optimizing their military experience in the process, or those who wish to utilize some type of veteran's education benefits.

We definitely need our own moderator again. Because having it moderated like it's run by an uptight, beauty-pageant etiquette teacher, doesn't work for the Emergency Medicine sensibility. We're all grown up enough here, to have something with a little range of opinion that is suited for a Disney audience with a dash of extra political correctness. None of the best posters on SDN can survive let alone thrive, in a landscape that lame. Hell, Emergency Medicine itself, can't exist in a world that vanilla. If you can't handle what's written on this forum on it's worst day, you can't last a nano second in a real emergency department on it's best day, let alone stomach the odiferousness that wafts out of your patients' mouths, orifices and body cavities.

Reactions: 4 users

Over 21k posts and 19 2/3 years, I've posted some cringeworthy stuff. However, I stand by what I write. And, if you stand in the middle of the room, no matter which way you turn, someone's looking at your butt. If you try to please everyone, you please no one. And I've gotten no pushback from moderation to "rein it in" for about 6 years. I even put something up, and deleted it, and a zealous mod dinged me for it, after it was gone from the general population to see it. But, I've never had my username tinted that shade of blue for probation.

And, in the annals of SDN, I went with another dude over to another site where their users were trolling here, and we brought it to them. A crowning victory was one of those guys complaining on his forum about how I was getting him on SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Make Apollyon one too. He wants it bad.

We were already in discussion about it before my post.

So I pissed off one neuro resident and one mod, but got southern back as a mod. I’ll take that as a win.

Also +1 that Apollyon would have been an excellent mod and/or could be a good second mod.

• Haha
We were already in discussion about it before my post.
So, picture the scene (or, in the words of the late Prince, "Dig, if you will, the picture": back room, smoky from cigar chomping dogs playing poker (or, maybe, those angry, anthropomorphic crocodiles playing poker from that scene in "Shazam!"). SD and Lee are making some deal. It's surreal!

Huh. People talk about me for days, and no movement. He posts that, and, 1.5 hours later, it's done. Looks like the folks have a favorite kid!

Yeah, that was kinda weird. I know nothing about the administrators or owners of SDN but I bet their little world is fascinating.

So, picture the scene (or, in the words of the late Prince, "Dig, if you will, the picture": back room, smoky from cigar chomping dogs playing poker (or, maybe, those angry, anthropomorphic crocodiles playing poker from that scene in "Shazam!"). SD and Lee are making some deal. It's surreal!

Keep in mind it's a lot easier to bring a mod back than it is to start with someone new to mod'ing.

Reactions: 3 users
This has been a fascinating thread... I had always wondered how moderators were chosen.
Well... I guess this thread did a poor job of answering that question lol. Nothing against Southern doc, but it seemed like the regulars here had come together as a group to support Apollyon. I guess we learned one thing... it's not a democratic process.

Southerndoc has served this forum well over time, so I'm sure he will continue to do well. I just wish this was handled a little better or that both would be the moderators.

It seems odd for Arch to suggest this group come together and suggest a new moderaror only for us to do exactly that then have our opinions ignored.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well... I guess this thread did a poor job of answering that question lol. Nothing against Southern doc, but it seemed like the regulars here had come together as a group to support Apollyon. I guess we learned one thing... it's not a democratic process.

Southerndoc has served this forum well over time, so I'm sure he will continue to do well. I just wish this was handled a little better or that both would be the moderators.

It seems odd for Arch to suggest this group come together and suggest a new moderaror only for us to do exactly that then have our opinions ignored.

I've been around long enough to remember Quinn, and I thought southerndoc did a good job as well.
I'm a Mobitz type 1 when it comes to SDN... I post a bit, then go a longer period of time without checking, then a really long time, then I drop away... but I always come back.
I was referring more to the initiation of the process being fascinating ("just message us if you're interested") rather than the end result.
I figured that since there was a multistep verification process to get little widgets put on the sidebar under your name, that there would be something more structured than an instant message.