Where are they now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WarningBarrel20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested to find out where those brave non-trads who've gone down the career change path into medicine are now. I thoroughly enjoy reading the progress threads of people who have overcome low GPAs, low MCAT scores, etc. However, getting into medical school is just the beginning of a long journey. If people are still around on the forum, would you kindly share the following:

1) Year accepted into medical school/age when accepted
2) MD or DO
3) Current medical specialty
4) Any other information you'd like to share/add

I'm currently an accountant in the private equity space looking to perhaps change careers into medicine--a dream that I thought was long gone with a poor UG GPA until I found this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

@WarningBarrel20 - you are not alone in your background.

When was your last class taken? Have you shadowed any docs?

Still in the preliminary stages of consideration with all of this; so no, I haven't done much of anything. My last class(es) were taken in 2010 but were a part of my accounting MS. Last true science courses were taken on or around 2006--I know I have my work cut out...

FWIW, I come from a family of physicians (Mom, Dad, brother, uncles), though, I'm aware that relational proximity isn't the same thing as shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted at 26, graduated 2013
DO
Emergency medicine
Was an emt/er tech after finishing a masters degree in neuroscience

Its never too late!

Accepted in 2007/Graduated in 2011
DO
Internal Medicine Graduated 2014
Critical Care Fellowship
Was a Research Technician and completed an MS in Biology

Paging @DokterMom! Paging @cabinbuilder!!!

I am interested to find out where those brave non-trads who've gone down the career change path into medicine are now. I thoroughly enjoy reading the progress threads of people who have overcome low GPAs, low MCAT scores, etc. However, getting into medical school is just the beginning of a long journey. If people are still around on the forum, would you kindly share the following:

2) MD or DO

I'm currently an accountant in the private equity space looking to perhaps change careers into medicine--a dream that I thought was long gone with a poor UG GPA until I found this forum.

2) MD or DO

@Goro
Graduate Univ of Alaska Gairbanks BS Biology 1994, GPA 2.7
Self Post-Bacc 1997-98 All pre-req's at once over one yr, worked full time GPA 3.9
Applied 3 years in a row (had baby #2 in the middle, took a year to recover) Studied MCAT while on bedrest and recovering in the hospital/home
1. 2001 Age 32, graduated 2006
2. DO LECOM class 2006
3. Family Practice but do locums urgent care mostly (have 6 active licenses). Graduated residency 2009 age 40
4. I have 2 kids and started medical school when they were 2 & 5
My jobs before I went to school (some jobs overlapped since I worked 2 at once):
7 years Ward Clerk/CNA
2 years Cutting fish in a grocery store
4 years in the Deli in a grocery store
2 years delivering pizza
4 years in Alaska tourism industry.
9 years in the library.

I have lived in poverty, been homeless, been an abused wife, lived without running water for 5 years, grew up in the wilderness of Alaska. Talked on the phone for the first time age 16. A friend of mine gave me the down payment to hold my spot - I paid him back with my first paycheck. Couldn't have done it without my friends or husband.

I love what I do every day, I am grateful everyday (even when it's hard and the patients complain). I will never be in poverty again. I will always have money.

NO EXCUSES as to why you "can't".

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
ugrad - too ugly to post (1989)
post grad: all premed prereqs - too pretentious to post (2009 - present)

• 25 years in business world; former executive public company reporting to BoD; former partner Big 4/little 2/middling 6/mediocre 8
  • Not admitted, just withdrew my application for 2016
  • Pizza driver, grocery store clerk, newspaper route, Wendy's burger flipper, writer/editor asst paper magazine, PI for work comp/insur fraud through college
  • will be grateful and (there's no emoji for falling on the floor passed out) if I get in :)

Have been near homeless, ate homemade flour/butter tortillas with cinnamon sugar on them for 5 days until a check came so that I could buy Kraft Mac n Cheese (dogs had their food though; my choice: feeding dogs > me), raised my son on my own; first son died of SIDS...

And I am 100+% grateful for every step in my journey. It has been worth everything, even if I am always on the outside, nose stuck to the glass looking at everyone else studying for Steps.

Reactions: 3 users

2014/35
Graduate 2018

2) MD or DO

MD

M2

Undergrad Electrical Engineering Computer Science ~ 3.0
Ten year unfullfilling career
MCAT - 22, 29, 29

Currently getting A's in medical school and love the journey.

Reactions: 4 users
Awesome replies--thanks, guys! Keep them coming--I'm 30 and at least 2-3 years from applying. Age doesn't bother me, in fact, I feel I'm much more equipped to handle the rigors now than I was 10 years ago (cite: poor UG gpa).

1) started med school 2012, age 41

2) MD

3) Currently applying to family medicine residencies

4) Former career designing/producing e-learning. Didn't consider med school at all until I was 35. Took six years (instead of my originally "scheduled" three) to complete prereqs and get accepted. Originally planned to do ob/gyn, still love women's health. Changed to family med for a million reasons, many of which relate to husband/kids/husband's career/location/age/burnout/etc.

Reactions: 4 users
1) 2012, age 30

2) MD

3) MS4, currently applying EM

4) My undergrad cumulative gpa was 2.9; thought I'd left it behind but behold, there it is on my dean's letter. haha bummer. Decided I wanted to go into medicine in my late 20's, wouldn't trade it for anything so far. Time flies when you're having fun.

1) Started 2013, age 29
Will graduate May 2017

2) MD

3) MS3, leaning toward CCM but not sure which route to take just yet

4) I used to lurk around this forum looking for inspiration and hope because I had a laughably low UG GPA, now I'm in the middle of 3rd year. Maintaining excellent grades and did really well on Step 1. Wow, time flies!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users