Where are you guys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon-y-mouse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm on my surgery clerkship and observe my very first surgery. Strangely, I'm drawn to the other side of the curtain... asking about vent settings, induction, drugs used, etc. and even got to push some meds. Then, my kind intern reminds me "your place is on this side of the curtain, you are here to learn about surgery. your test is all surgery and perioperative management and very little anesthesia. get back here." fair enough.

Anyway, I think it could be a really fun career, and I totally got a kick out of intubating, seeing the electronic monitors change on pushing fentanyl/midazolam, etc.

However, the thing I notice is a complete lack of anesthesiology residents or staff... instead, all crna's. and I'm at a pretty academic program. maybe it's because I'm seeing all these routine abdominal general surgeries, but it's still pretty egregious. Is this normal? Where are you guys? Is it only the super hard cases you attend?

Money: I'm not going to beat around the bush - I worked ridiculously hard for many years and I want to enjoy a good financial payoff one day. If the anesthesiologist fees for a particular surgery are a lot lower, how can you guys make more money (on average) than surgeons?? lower overhead?

crna- is my paycheck going to keep coming down because it's a lot cheaper to hire a nurse?? are they taking over?

and do you guys all call your profession 'gas'? :laugh: I don't think I could, if I became an anesthesiologist... :)

Thanks for the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm on my surgery clerkship and observe my very first surgery. Strangely, I'm drawn to the other side of the curtain... asking about vent settings, induction, drugs used, etc. and even got to push some meds. Then, my kind intern reminds me "your place is on this side of the curtain, you are here to learn about surgery. your test is all surgery and perioperative management and very little anesthesia. get back here." fair enough.

Nice douchebag intern you got there- probably treated like a chewed up piece of gum stuck on the bottom of a sneaker. I wonder if he wears a fannypack?

Alot of the questions you have can be answered by the FAQ, including those about CRNAs and the anesthesia salary. I also do not anticipate calling my job 'gas'. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
thats how it began for me...but my surgery attending was more indulgent. i have never referred to anesthesiology as gas. those are most likely easier cases and thus get crnas rather than residents/staff.

thats how it began for me...but my surgery attending was more indulgent. i have never referred to anesthesiology as gas. those are most likely easier cases and thus get crnas rather than residents/staff.

We should string up anyone who calls anesthesiology gas!!!

I hate the term too. I mean if Anesthesia is gas, then GI is ****.

For us gun guys, it's like calling magazine clips and cartridges bullets. Enough is enough...:)

Anyway, I think it could be a really fun career, and I totally got a kick out of intubating, seeing the electronic monitors change on pushing fentanyl/midazolam, etc.

However, the thing I notice is a complete lack of anesthesiology residents or staff... instead, all crna's. and I'm at a pretty academic program. maybe it's because I'm seeing all these routine abdominal general surgeries, but it's still pretty egregious. Is this normal? Where are you guys? Is it only the super hard cases you attend?

Money: I'm not going to beat around the bush - I worked ridiculously hard for many years and I want to enjoy a good financial payoff one day. If the anesthesiologist fees for a particular surgery are a lot lower, how can you guys make more money (on average) than surgeons?? lower overhead?

crna- is my paycheck going to keep coming down because it's a lot cheaper to hire a nurse?? are they taking over?

and do you guys all call your profession 'gas'? :laugh: I don't think I could, if I became an anesthesiologist... :)

Thanks for the responses.

To answer your main question, in most non-dysfunctional anesthesia academic programs that have both CRNAs and residents, the CRNAs typically cover the straightforward cases with an attending anesthesiologist. Junior residents will still do some of these basic cases to learn the ropes, but soon progress to subspecialty cases or more challenging cases. IF you're doing basic belly cases, you may see a junior resident or two. If you do a bigger case on a sicker patient, you will likely run into a more senior anesthesia resident. I advise you to observe his/her style and you will likely see a HUGE difference in talent, style, and knowledge as compared to CRNAs and realize why it's ridiculous to state that CRNAs will take over our jobs. Apples and oranges.

Ya don't bother with Anesthesiology. Its a dead field. In about a year, maybe two, we are all going to be working for CRNAs at about 40 k/yr without benefits. Check out pathology seems to be a pretty good field for the money.

God I f@cking hate these repeated stupid posts.