Where can I find accurate Salary info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the Pod School in Ohio, they say that the average salary between 0-2 years is $60,000. And that when you hit years 6-9, you hit the average of $110,000. I'm assuming this is pretty accurate. Why then is Pod school about as expensive as MD/DO schools when the salary, on average, is much less?

Members don't see this ad.

medschool22 said:
According to the Pod School in Ohio, they say that the average salary between 0-2 years is $60,000. And that when you hit years 6-9, you hit the average of $110,000. I'm assuming this is pretty accurate. Why then is Pod school about as expensive as MD/DO schools when the salary, on average, is much less?

Thats interesting. The only time I have seen numbers that low has been on the internet from random posters. All the new graduates of residency around here and those that have come to speak at the school have stated 6 figure starting salaries. All of whom have also said that residents from their program receive similar offers. Maybe its just that I have not met anyone yet who has started that low. Something else to consider, it is possible for a base salary to be that low when the incentives are high. For example, one recent grad I talked to said his base salary was 60,000 but he received a lot of what he brought in. He said his first year he made 150K. You have to take that into consideration as well. Im not sure if there are good published numbers that you can rely on especially considering the training and residency requirements have changed in the last 10 years. You need to talk to recent grads and ask. Maybe DPMgrad can give more insight on that since he has just accepted a job.

medschool22 said:

Hello,

I'm a student at the "Pod School in Ohio" and I can tell you with full assurance that this information is very outdated. It is rather embarassing that they are using the same "brochure" or reference but this is the same data that has been circulating from the time of our first year residents!

To answer your question though, when looking at average income for a podiatrist, a few things must be considered:

1) is the podiatrist surgicaly trained? (this makes a substantial difference actually)

2) is the podiatrist working full time? (alot of podiatrists work part-time - many of whom are women who choose to balance professional and family life)

3) where are the new podiatrists working (some will work under contract and do routine care at nursing homes, VA, etc. mainly due to the limited training some of them have. However, surgically trained ones enjoy professional freedom to work in group practices, multi-specialties, and even orthopoedic practices).

4) Is the podiatrist in private practice or is she/he an associate?

5) Geographic location (if a new grad is opening up a new practice in an area close to the pod school, chances are the area is already flooded and he/she won't do very well right away).

Because there are many variables involved its hard to really pinpoint to get an average income from any source outside of the APMA. Recently, they had a survey for all the young members of the APMA and the numbers were very impressive as they were all surgically trained. I don't have the link to the exact figures so i'm hoping that one of my colleagues here in this forum can provide us with this link.

I can assure you that a podiatrist with a 3 year surgical residency will not start at any less that $90-100,000 at minimum, with perhaps a maximum at $150,000. This you can confirm if you'd like to do your own research and contact some of the chief residents (via email/phone etc) at the 3 year programs and ask them about the job offers they've received. This is probably the most accurate and reliable source of information regarding the current state of the profession.

hope that helps