where can I find average step 1 scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there was a post, albeit incomplete, of avg USMLE step 1 scores not too long ago...can someone please direct me to the post? thanks.

B. Enzino

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you really F-ing care what OTHER PEOPLE got on their step 1s, just worry about yourself cause those people sure as hell aren't going to matter to you on test day.

According to the latest data, every single medical school in the United States has a school average well above the national average. If you are beginning to suspect that this isn't possible, you don't belong on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
W222 said:
Why do you really F-ing care what OTHER PEOPLE got on their step 1s, just worry about yourself cause those people sure as hell aren't going to matter to you on test day.

Uh...are you serious?
There's no doubt that the test scores not only imply the quality of students in the school but also the school's ability to teach basic science...

That's why you would care.

No, I dont really believe that Step 1 scores have anything to do with HOW WELL A SCHOOL TEACHES YOU, BUT I would say it does have something to do with who they accept. If they accept someone who is motivated and works hard studying for their Step 1, then yes they are relavent BUT they are useless in choosing a medical school. Remember they are AVGs, you may be well above OR WELL BELOW THE AVG.

W222 said:
No, I dont really believe that Step 1 scores have anything to do with HOW WELL A SCHOOL TEACHES YOU, BUT I would say it does have something to do with who they accept. If they accept someone who is motivated and works hard studying for their Step 1, then yes they are relavent BUT they are useless in choosing a medical school.

Evcept there are examples of schools with high marticulating MCAT averages and GPAs with lower Step 1 averages than less prestigous schools with lower MCAT averages. So...it does appear that it's not all who schools take.

W222 said:
Remember they are AVGs, you may be well above OR WELL BELOW THE AVG.

This doesn't seem like a very logical statement. For example I look at a med schools' AVERAGE accepted MCAT and GPA and mine are much lower. Sure I COULD get in, but the odds are much worse for me compared to someone who has an MCAT score better than the school's average. It is a statistical reference...no one is saying its an absolute. The same way, the USMLE averages give you a general idea how the class as a whole performed.