Where can I find compounding recipes for retail compounds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any hospital or other retail pharmacists that have a source for making compounds? A previous pharmacist that doesn't work for the company had a omeprazole recipe: 24 omeprazole 20mg caps, 1 tsp baking soda and 240 mL of water to make 2mg/mL, but I can't find any source for it? New management wont let any compounds without an "official" compound recipe on file.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any hospital or other retail pharmacists that have a source for making compounds? A previous pharmacist that doesn't work for the company had a omeprazole recipe: 24 omeprazole 20mg caps, 1 tsp baking soda and 240 mL of water to make 2mg/mL, but I can't find any source for it? New management wont let any compounds without an "official" compound recipe on file.
Why bother to compound when you can order FIRST®-Omeprazole Compounding Kit (3, 5, or 10 oz) and better chance to get it covered by insurance.

Reactions: 1 user
We use a lot more baking soda than that. I think we use about 12 grams. Enough to make it 8.4% if my memory serves.

Whoever you order compounding supplies from (medisco or whoever) should be able to provide basic recipes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look on facts and comparisons online for an “extemporaneous compounding” section present under some drugs.

If you have a lexicomp book, there is a section in the monograph that states extemporaneous compounding and a formula , especially the Peds book.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Look on facts and comparisons online for an “extemporaneous compounding” section present under some drugs.
They didn't have a section for compounding guanfacine .2mg/mL (we just crush 4 tablets then add 10 mL of ora-plus and 10 mL of ora sweet) and their omeprazole compound says to use sodium bicarbonate 8.4%, but I found a journal article that says it's ok to mix 1 tsp baking soda with 240 mL of water for same conc.

Why bother to compound when you can order FIRST®-Omeprazole Compounding Kit (3, 5, or 10 oz) and better chance to get it covered by insurance.
First not covered and insurance state Medicaid denied the PA.

Does anyone have a subscription to compoundingtoday.com? I'm trying to read their compound formulation for guanfacine. Thanks.

They didn't have a section for compounding guanfacine .2mg/mL (we just crush 4 tablets then add 10 mL of ora-plus and 10 mL of ora sweet) and their omeprazole compound says to use sodium bicarbonate 8.4%, but I found a journal article that says it's ok to mix 1 tsp baking soda with 240 mL of water for same conc.

1 tsp or 1 tbsp? Either way it won't be the "same conc." as 8.4%, although it probably does get the job done just fine.

1 tsp or 1 tbsp? Either way it won't be the "same conc." as 8.4%, although it probably does get the job done just fine.
The journal article is "The use of omeprazole in the pediatric population" and it's "1 teaspoonful"

Getting an official recipe would suck, I get my recipes from asking friends who are pharmacists how they have made something in the past.