Where can I find examples of successful applications to certain specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharlieBillings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example: What does a successful diagnostic radiation application look like compared to a successful EM application?

I've been checking out :https://residency.wustl.edu/Choosing/SpecDesc/Pages/Home.aspx

It has some information about the "competitiveness" of a specialty. Can anyone comment if it is accurate that diagnostic radiology is "low" competitive (while derm is considered "high" and EM is considered "intermediate")?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Google: "Charting Outcomes 2016."

All the information you need is in there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile
This doesnt show individuals. It would be nice to see NSG match ,research in NSG X3, step I 257, Volunteer, Harvard.

Members don't see this ad :)
>MD class of 2021

and so it begins

Reactions: 1 users
There's an entire residency forum on here that has tons of everybody's stats and stuff

Reactions: 1 user
OP, you are about a million light-years ahead of where you should be right now (which is the beach). This is a pre-med question -- that is, what you're asking is so clearly from a pre-med perspective of application building, frankly it inspires my pity. YOU ARE ACCEPTED. You can RELAX now-- you need to fight your neurotic urges to application-build. Go do something fun

And don't make any more threads in Allo for at least 4 months

In 2 years you may have *somewhat* similar questions, but by then you will realize things are different applying for residency as compared to med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Physician / Resident Forums -> Forum for specialty that you're interested in -> find the what are my chances thread in that forum -> Find the applicants that are told "you're good", and do what they did....
I see my competition is smarter than I am.

Google: "Charting Outcomes 2016."

All the information you need is in there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile
Thanks, definitely useful.

How do I interpret this information? I can't tell what is competitive and important and what is not besides step 1 scores.

For example (diagnostic radiology):
-The mean number of research experiences is about 5, but in every category (including 0 experiences) the # of people not matching is minuscule. I feel like I need to see a complete package of an applicant, and also why people with high step scores are still not matching.

OP, you are about a million light-years ahead of where you should be right now (which is the beach). This is a pre-med question -- that is, what you're asking is so clearly from a pre-med perspective of application building, frankly it inspires my pity. YOU ARE ACCEPTED. You can RELAX now-- you need to fight your neurotic urges to application-build. Go do something fun

And don't make any more threads in Allo for at least 4 months

In 2 years you may have *somewhat* similar questions, but by then you will realize things are different applying for residency as compared to med school.

I know! But in all seriousness learning about this process is fun.

Whoa... plastics listed as "low competitiveness" (found in the WashU link that OP posted)

Attachments

• Plastics data.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 65
Whoa... plastics listed as "low competitiveness" (found in the WashU link that OP posted)
Not very competitive if everyone has stopped ranking it after receiving no interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
But plastics was listed as high competitive in 2014. So I'm not sure if this resource's competitiveness definition is what we should be looking at.

A few thoughts on Charting outcomes data:

1) Remember that this data ONLY incorporates people who got at least one interview in that field and subsequently ranked it. ERAS and NRMP are different programs and this data only comes from the latter. All the people who applied and got nothing aren't even counted.

2) You're absolutely right to note that you get no individual data. Obviously the people matching tough fields with oddly low numbers in one place are making up for it elsewhere.

That said, after interviewing candidates this year, I was quite blown away by their apps. Everything ranged from solid to stellar to holy crap is this person even human. Honestly, if I had seen these individual apps as an MS1, it would have probably freaked me out.

And thoughts after being on the other side of the table this year:
1) For really competitive fields (whatever they are when you apply) you need everything to be solid. Great numbers are a given.
2) You cannot really pad ECs like you did for med school. Yes you need to do stuff so your app isn't the only one that fits on a postcard, but none of that will stand out. It won't help you, though its complete absence can stand out negatively.
3) Research is important. Do stuff. Good stuff. Turning out good work is something that definitely gets noticed. Turning out no work is bad.
4) ECs that get noticed at his level: Div 1/professional athletes, distinguished military careers, founding your own company, bigtime jobs (the kind that pay 6-7 figures), high level performing artist(performing places people have heard of), etc. Essentially, these are things you can't just check boxes for, they require you actually did/do something really substantive. They do NOT compensate for s---ty numbers. Nobody wants to work with a *******.
5) Letters: you need really REALLY good ones. From well known people. Better if they are accompanied by personal phone calls and emails.
6) Reputation: make sure you build a good one. people will definitely do their due diligence about you. They will google everything they can and call anyone and everyone they know who may know you, especially if you're someone being seriously considered. This includes your classmates and people above and below you. From this day forward, people will always vet you, so leave a positive impression on people.

I think it's good to think about this stuff now so it doesn't surprise you in 3 years. Just don't let it consume you. Focus on the task in front of you, which right now is getting your life and mind in order to start school this summer/fall. Then focus on your first exam. Then the next. Lather rinse repeat. Once you find your stride, start adding in research and whatnot and by then you're off to the races.

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users