Where can I get a lot of volunteer/community service hours fast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mhines24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on where I can get a 100 or so hours by june?

Also what kind of community service looks good on an application?

Members don't see this ad.

One might get the impression you're more interested in padding hours for your application than genuinely helping your community.

Reactions: 7 users
Also what kind of community service looks good on an application?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the type that looks good on an application is the genuine, do-it-because-you-want-to, long term commitment type.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One might get the impression you're more interested in padding hours for your application than genuinely helping your community.

It's not that I don't want to help my community but rather I don't have a lot of hours right now and I would like to have a strong application.

June is still a far ways away, you should be able to rack up at least 200 at your local food bank, homeless shelter, American Red Cross, hospital, dental office, club/organization, and such if you commit like 10 hours a week.

Reactions: 1 users
Go onto volunteer match, see what's in your area, the holidays were a prime time to rack up hours (food banks, meals on wheels) but you have time, it's better to get started sooner than later!

Reactions: 1 user
June is still a far ways away, you should be able to rack up at least 200 at your local food bank, homeless shelter, American Red Cross, hospital, dental office, club/organization, and such if you commit like 10 hours a week.
Thank you

You don't really need that many hours to have a strong application. I only had 90 hours of tutoring as my volunteering experience and a few small events here and there. Just find something you enjoy so you can talk about it during an interview.

Adcoms aren't fools. If they see you starting high-volume volunteering at the local food shelter a few months before you apply, they won't be impressed. They might even be turned off by that. It looks horribly non-genuine.

Reactions: 1 users
Adcoms aren't fools. If they see you starting high-volume volunteering at the local food shelter a few months before you apply, they won't be impressed. They might even be turned off by that. It looks horribly non-genuine.

No negativity on my thread please

Hospital
Small clinics
Intern at a dental office
Tutor
Homeless outreach
Aids/Cancer/Healthfair events and walks
Clinical research labs
Red Cross
Medical/Dental mission trips
Community service clubs

Members don't see this ad :)
He/she is just trying to help you by telling you the truth. He/she isn't speculating about your true intentions, just telling you how it will look to adcoms.

Why would it matter when you helped people the whole point is thats your helping people whether it be be 5 years ago or today.

I personally didn't have a strong community service/volunteering section on my application. I think the adcoms are looking for diversity as well. If you have work experience, strong clinical exposure, or other leadership roles, you should be fine. Not everyone follows the same path and/or has the same interests. DO YOU!

...but yeah if your entire extracurricular section is lacking, you are in big trouble!

Don't forget .. #1 is grades/DAT

Developing a very sudden interest in helping others that wasn't evident for five years prior is going to be evident to people who sift through thousands of applicants each year. This is especially true because most matriculates have dedicated a significant amount of time and effort into activities and programs that mean more to them than just a section of their AADSAS application.

They want to see that your willingness to help people is a pattern of behavior and part of who you are, not just a means to an end or a way to expedite getting accepted to dental school.
I personally didn't have a strong community service/volunteering section on my application. I think the adcoms are looking for diversity as well. If you have work experience, strong clinical exposure, or other leadership roles, you should be fine. Not everyone follows the same path and/or has the same interests. DO YOU!

...but yeah if your entire extracurricular section is lacking, you are in big trouble!

Don't forget .. #1 is grades/DAT

I do have quite a bit of work experience I umpired baseball for 4 years and I've been working at an animal hospital for a year and a half. Hopefully that will help.

I do have quite a bit of work experience I umpired baseball for 4 years and I've been working at an animal hospital for a year and a half. Hopefully that will help.

Do you have research or clinical experience under your belt?

Everyone has their own, interesting story. Be able to talk about yours. Do as much volunteering as you can up until you apply. It may or may not look "great" to some people, but it's better to have it than not.

Why would it matter when you helped people the whole point is thats your helping people whether it be be 5 years ago or today.

Because it will look like you're trying to disingenuously "pad your stats" to increase your chances of acceptance. It's obvious.

You should absolutely volunteer somewhere that needs your help, particularly if the mission is something you care about. But cramming in some last-minute hours to boost your total hours is not something I'd recommend.

Do you have research or clinical experience under your belt?

I'm helping out in a research lab this semester that is doing research on vasopressin receptors in voles and behavior.

Because it will look like you're trying to disingenuously "pad your stats" to increase your chances of acceptance. It's obvious.

You should absolutely volunteer somewhere that needs your help, particularly if the mission is something you care about. But cramming in some last-minute hours to boost your total hours is not something I'd recommend.

Thank you that was a much more helpful reply.

I'm helping out in a research lab this semester that is doing research on vasopressin receptors in voles and behavior.

Nice.. with the right stats, you have a good chance. This cycle has been ultra competitive so just to be safe, I'd personally do some volunteering/community work before you apply.

Good luck mate

Nice.. with the right stats, you have a good chance. This cycle has been ultra competitive so just to be safe, I'd personally do some volunteering/community work before you apply.

Good luck mate

Yeah it's a bit stressful!

Cum GPA - 3.5
DAT - 20/20/21 (AA/TS/PAT)

Just hoping to get accepted somewhere!

My premed friends back in undergrad volunteered at our local hospital and the hospital recorded 2x your hours if you volunteered for a weekend shift. Totally cheating in my opinion lol.

Well whether adcoms see it or not, I can empathize with you on the umpiring thing. Will definitely help us deal with ridiculously disgruntled patients one day.

People who have never reffed/umped will never understand that is so true!

It's not negativity...it's the truth.

I never said it wasn't the truth I know that I should have had volunteer hours by now but saying that it would look horrible to start volunteering doesn't help anything it's a negative view.