Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Where can I see myself in ten years?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by steelersfan1243, Aug 1, 2015.

1. steelersfan1243

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am having a very frustrating time trying to answer this question since apparently my google skills suck. I want to pursue research as a MD. In ten years what can I expect if I pursue this pathway? After MD, do I go for a postdoc or residency in IM? How many years is a fellowship? Could I really expect to be starting my own lab at this time?

Also would any one mind taking a very quick glance on, "Why this school" paragraph I wrote and see if it actually adds onto the application? Any help wold be appreciated, please and thank you!

2. Fedekz

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at your essay, you can PM me

steelersfan1243 likes this.
  3. steelersfan1243

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  4. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unless you're getting a PhD, you won't be doing a post-doc. However, it wouldn't be uncommon to perhaps do a research fellowship for a year or two that functions more or less as a post-doc if you're an MD that wants to get some research experience and have some dedicated time focused to research. In fact, some residency programs have dedicated research years, and many have "research tracks" that allow you to substitute dedicated research time in lieu of electives. This might be something you look into when you get to that point. I have no idea how common this is in IM, but it was something that most psych programs had when I was interviewing for residency.

It's generally not advised to take time off between medical school and residency for whatever reason due to concerns that you'll lose your "clinical chops." Thus, I imagine if you do dedicated research time it would be during your residency or perhaps after you complete your residency. But I'm not too familiar on how exactly that career works.

mimelim likes this.
  5. steelersfan1243

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply! So it would be reasonable to conclude that I would be starting my own lab in ten years? Assuming residency is 4-6 years?

6. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're including the 4 years of medical education, no, I don't think that's likely though I suppose possible. But really with these questions I don't think the accuracy of the plan matters so much as long as it's somewhat reasonable. The question is really asked to gauge what your long-term goals are (and to ensure that you've actually thought about those goals) as well as to get a sense of what your general interests are.

7. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
    Moderator Rocket Scientist 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The Physician Scientist forum has a stickied thread of physician scientist careers (md phd, md only, PhD to md) that may be useful to you.

8. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery
    Rocket Scientist Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think that the primary focus of this question is to check whether you have any idea about what you are getting into. It is to weed out people that are in love with an errant notion of what medical school is and focus on trying to collect people that have a higher chance of success because they are less likely to bail when they finally figure out that they should be doing something else.

It is a problem if this question is difficult to answer. How can you 'know' you want to pursue research as an MD if you don't know anything about the pathway and are depending on google to answer the question for you while writing a response to an application question? I am extremely wary of a student who is fixated on starting their own lab for a variety of reasons. First, people starting their own research labs are people that gain the confidence of the people ahead of them to invest in their future productivity. That means funding allocation from hospitals, schools and the government. This means allocation of institution resources by superiors.

Assuming that you are a graduating senior, 4 years of medical school and 3-7 years of residency/fellowship. 10 years from now you will either still be in residency or you will have just starting an attending position.

Gurby, GrapesofRath, treecat and 2 others like this.
  9. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    To clarify what my learned colleague is saying, Adcoms like people who look before they leap.

mimelim likes this.
  10. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery

Attending Physician
    To clarify, we all like people people who look before they leap. It isn't like adcoms have crazy high standards ;)

Goro, treecat and avgn like this.
  11. Affiche

Affiche SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hate this question.

I'm interested in primary care, but I'm excited to learn about other fields and I'm not set on any one in particular. Further, beyond working in an underserved area, I'm very open to living in a different geographical region. For questions that ask "where do you see yourself at the conclusion of your training?", I'm not sure what the point of answering this is when I think the statistic is something like ~65% of medical students change their mind about which field they'd like to practice in.

Beyond answering that I like X and Y about primary care, but I'm open to other fields as well, along with being open to living in any region of the country, what could I possibly elaborate on?

Rainbow Zebra and treecat like this.
  12. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery

Attending Physician
    The point of this question isn't to find out where you are going to be in 10 years. The point is to know that you have thought about it. If someone asks, "Where do you see yourself at the conclusion of your training?" and you answer, "starting a basic science lab." People will cock their heads to the side, smile, nod and reject you. If you say, "In 10 years, I will likely have finished my residency in one of the primary care fields and starting a job in *private practice or academics*. What I look forward to most about doing *whatever job you think is possible/most likely (even if only 10% chance of happening) is *blah blah blah*. However, I do recognize that my exposure to different branches of medicine is limited and that many students change their minds several times before finding the specialty that they go into. I look forward to continuing my exploration through medical school.

It isn't a complex question. You don't need a ton of elaboration. You need to demonstrate that you know what you are getting into, rather than applying because daddy will be mad at you if you don't.

tynandaly, Banco, Gurby and 8 others like this.
  13. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I think this guy knows what he's talking about ;) :sneaky:

Flippinski and Goro like this.
  14. Affiche

Affiche SDN Gold Donor

Medical Student
    So as long as we discuss which things we like about certain fields but explain that we are in no way set on any one in particular, that's sufficient?

Goro likes this.
  15. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Rachiee, that's a perfectly good answer, and the point behind the whole question. You can visualize your trajectory out that far, even if the direction is unknown. It shows that you have learned something about Medicine!

there are plenty of clueless people out there who don't even bother to do the most basic research to find out that at a minimum, your path goes something like this: med school-> residency [=/- fellowship] -> practice

Send an app to my school, will ya?

ChrisMack390 likes this.
  16. Affiche

Affiche SDN Gold Donor

Medical Student
    You say this and then you throw out misinformation so that I have no idea which school is actually yours! :laugh:

Goro likes this.
  17. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Plot twist: He is actually east of St. Louis

ChrisMack390 and Goro like this.
  18. caffeinemia

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I love that there is so much neuroticism in this page.

You should try this:

"In 10 years, I'll be in residency, or have completed residency. It will suck far less than medical school, but still be a lot of stress because I will be working my tail off to make a place for myself in the medical community. I will still be waiting for that big money and big respect that I thought I would get. It never came. My spouse barely gets to see me, and when we do, my pager goes off sometimes while we're trying to make our first baby. It's a major buzzkill. UGH. But I know that another 10 years will bring a big house, a yacht, and a plane. Okay, fine -- at least a house and a little boat."

19. mw18

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What they don't want you to say: In ten years I will be beginning one of my three surgical superfellowships so that I can focus purely on the brain stem and the heart of neonates, fetuses, and conjoined twins.

What they probably want you to say: In ten years I will likely be a practicing physician in (academics/private practice). I will have kept an open mind in my third year rotations and really come into my own in the specialty I now find myself in. I'll be out of residency and still trying to find the balance between learning, practicing, and having a personal life. Blah blah blah.

#19 mw18, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  20. caffeinemia

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So what I essentially said, but with 1000% more bs?

Gurby likes this.
  21. mw18

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol Yours seems like it is pretty much real life. Mine not so much.

22. ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    They just want to weed out people who don't even realize they will have just finished up residency/fellowship, and probably people who have something extraordinarily specific/unrealistic.

Goro likes this.
  23. ElCapone

ElCapone Don't Lawyer Me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    @rachiie01 Dr. Goro badly wants your $$$

Plot twist: He is St. Louis
    [​IMG]

Gandy741, Banco and Spector1 like this.
  24. Affiche

Affiche SDN Gold Donor

Medical Student
    @Goro knows I don't have money :rofl:

Gandy741 and Spector1 like this.
  25. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I don't need her money, I need students like her!

Gandy741, Spector1 and ElCapone like this.
  26. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    And I'm guessing the number of people weeded out by this question for exactly what you stated, even those who end up with 3.9/36's without that much effort, is a lot higher than we all might think.

Goro likes this.
  27. Affiche

Affiche SDN Gold Donor

Medical Student
    [​IMG]

28. ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    "10 years from now I will have just finished my residency at Stanford and be practicing pediatric radiation oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital."

29. Petrichor1

Medical Student
    you can definitely expect to be 10 years older...:p

steelersfan1243 likes this.
  30. CaliforniaDreamer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My life for the neonates.

Gandy741 likes this.