Where can we find information about Acceptances vs Matriculants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pd1001

Reaction score
Looking for information on number of acceptances given by a school vs number of matriculants.

Checked MSAR and other AAMC spreadsheets. Did not find that information.

Any insights will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That information is on MSAR

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools will have this info somewhere on their websites, but as far as I know, there is no one place to get this info for all schools :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Only US News has the number of acceptances, in addition to matriculants. MSAR shows only matriculants.

You should send me a PM (click my name and hit "start conversation")

MSAR information is pretty good for the money we pay. How about US News subscription. Is it worth it for any other extra info.

MSAR information is pretty good for the money we pay. How about US News subscription. Is it worth it for any other extra info.
The biggest things I found interesting from US News were admit rates/acceptance numbers, reported average step 1 scores, and residency director / peer institute reputation survey scores. You might be able to find that information from someone that has a US News login for your schools of interest though without buying months of subscription time...click name --> start convo.

Warning: US news does not have the data for all schools, only the ones that report to them. To check which schools do, in the ranking section, if it says "Unranked" for a a school, that means that they do not have data on the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking for information on number of acceptances given by a school vs number of matriculants.

Checked MSAR and other AAMC spreadsheets. Did not find that information.

Any insights will be appreciated.
A rough rule of thumb is to multiply the number of seats by 2-3 to give you the number of accepts.

A rough rule of thumb is to multiply the number of seats by 2-3 to give you the number of accepts.
That may not be True. For example if we consider Three tiers of schools. Top schools may be they give away 1 to 1.
Bottom tier ones may be 2 to 1 or 2.5 to 1.
Out of the 50000 people who apply, only 20000 are matriculants. I guess top 8 to 10000 come up with multiple acceptances, others I guess they will end up with 1 or atmost 2 acceptances.

That may not be True. For example if we consider Three tiers of schools. Top schools may be they give away 1 to 1.
Out of the 50000 people who apply, only 20000 are matriculants. I guess top 8 to 10000 come up with multiple acceptances, others I guess they will end up with 1 or atmost 2 acceptances.
No school can afford to have one scceptee per seat. Period

Even places like Johns Hopkins and Stanford give roughly 2:1 (taken directly from US News data).

There's also data about multiple admits released by AMCAS. You're right on with that estimate, 50% of students are at the only school that admitted them.

If even top schools did 1 to 1, they couldn't fill their seats. Someone accepted at Hopkins may very likely also be accepted at UCSF and Harvard and Stanford and others. They can only matriculate at one of those schools, so the schools would logically have to accept more than their class size.

If even top schools did 1 to 1, they couldn't fill their seats. Someone accepted at Hopkins may very likely also be accepted at UCSF and Harvard and Stanford and others. They can only matriculate at one of those schools, so the schools would logically have to accept more than their class size.

I'd say the only school with the closest 1:1 ratio (now) will be NYU ;), but Goro is still right

Thank you all for the responses. I see that in addition to the 2-3:1 acceptances, medical schools have a waitlist too. Do medical schools provide the waitlist # on where you rank.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. I see that in addition to the 2-3:1 acceptances, medical schools have a waitlist too. Do medical schools provide the waitlist # on where you rank.
Most do not.

Even if they do, the ability to move up on the list gets trumped by the need to build a balanced class, or fulfill whatever need the Admissions Dean sees necessitates filling. So if you're number five on the list, and male, and the proposed class has a 60/40 male/female gender balance, then then females who are lower ranked will get to cut to the head of the line.