where can you work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cali-ob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any NHSC scholars know....when looking for a job, you can find employment outside of the sites listed on the NHSC website right? For instance, can't NHSC scholars work at...
1. IHS
2. Correctional facilities
3. any federally qualified health center?

Anyone who knows, feel free to chime in.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

any NHSC scholars know....when looking for a job, you can find employment outside of the sites listed on the NHSC website right? For instance, can't NHSC scholars work at...
1. IHS
2. Correctional facilities
3. any federally qualified health center?

Anyone who knows, feel free to chime in.
thanks!

So, I am lucky enough to have had the chance to talk to a physician who went through on an NHSC scholarship.

He told me that the listing of sites on the NHSC website is extremely narrow. It's not like the NHSC goes out and recruits private practices/health centers that would qualify, and then lists them on the site. It's basically a totally voluntary list - if a private practice in an underserved area would like an NHSC scholar to work there, they can post a job listing. Otherwise, it doesn't get posted.

By asking around, and finding counties that were federally underserved, and then finding healthcare centers/private practices in those areas, this physician was able to find several places that were DYING for another partner, but (for whatever reason) didn't think to post on the NHSC website. He says it's an under-utilized resource by practices...so graduating scholars often don't know all the jobs that are out there.

The place where you practice just has to be in a place with an HPSA score over 14. There are lots of those places that, for whatever reason, haven't posted their job openings on the NHSC website.

thanks for your reply. I guessed something like that but wasn't sure.
I haven't been able to figure out how you can find out the score of a particular location though.
Also, while there may be underserved areas (ie low income people in an inner city) within a particular county, that whole county or area may not be considered underserved so that too is a bit of a challenge. I'm looking for an urban underserved, not rural. But I have another year or so before I have to figure all that out.
thanks!