Where did you get accepted/ Interviewed with Average Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many DO schools should I apply to?
C/S 3.77/3.75
31 mcat
Average ECs
Good LOR I think

I was planning on 12 DO. My wife thinks that is too many... What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends..how many can u afford to apply to?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

C/S 3.77/3.75
31 mcat
Average ECs
Good LOR I think

I was planning on 12 DO. My wife thinks that is too many... What do you guys think?

With those stats 12 is too many. Find 8 that you like. You can apply MD as well. Go make a thread in the What Are My Chances forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Serenade:
I don't know my lizzy M score...
3.2 overall, which is a 2.8 UG cGPA + 80cr PB (3.83 cGPA 3.91 sGPA, last 60 credits 3.95 mainly UL science) 26 MCAT 7ps, 9vr, 10bs

Interviewed at both LECOMs, SOMA, RVU, offered at LMU, and didn't finish the rest of the secondaries... I applied June 1st, I have ~6000 volunteer hours across different things, and had very good LORs and my PS was edited by people on here...

C/S 3.77/3.75
31 mcat
Average ECs
Good LOR I think

Admittedly as long as you've got some research under your belt you'd probably gain more from adding 12 more MD schools. That being said apply to 5-8 that you like.

Serenade:
I don't know my lizzy M score...
3.2 overall, which is a 2.8 UG cGPA + 80cr PB (3.83 cGPA 3.91 sGPA, last 60 credits 3.95 mainly UL science) 26 MCAT 7ps, 9vr, 10bs

Interviewed at both LECOMs, SOMA, RVU, offered at LMU, and didn't finish the rest of the secondaries... I applied June 1st, I have ~6000 volunteer hours across different things, and had very good LORs and my PS was edited by people on here...

Looks like we both hate physics intensely.

I have about 25-30 research hours. So not very much... I am a Ohio res so I will apply to all the Ohio MDs(except Cleveland clinic) as well as usuhs (my top choice). I just dont want to risk not getting in somewhere.

Did you retake it? I'm sure you know about the replacement policy but you're worried about an explanation since it was late in your career.

I think that gradGPA of 4.0 will pretty much nullify that grade.

Negative. Thought I did take Genetics the next semester and received an A. I am currently planning on retaking Biochem January of 2014 as DMU and a few other schools require it.

Glad to hear you think the 4.0 would nullify it. I've had lots of of stress related to that hiccup.

Last edited:
Negative. Thought I did take Genetics the next semester and received an A. I am currently planning on retaking Biochem January of 2014 as DMU and a few other schools require it.

Glad to hear you think the 4.0 would nullify it. I've had lots of of stress related to that hiccup.

Wait till you have an ii or an acceptance, then register for it. Just a recommendation. Many schools don't require it. However, if you are SET on DMU, might as well get it out of the way.

Not URM, 62 lizzy M score
Colorado

Mcat 26 (7,9,10) 3.62, 3.42s

Secondaries submitted mid October. I applied to about 14 DO schools, completed I think 9 secondaries.

I received ii from KCUMB, LMU, Western U NW, and DMU. Rejected from KCUMB (a horrible interview experience and my first one), wait listed at DMU and Western U(I thought the interviews went great), and accepted to LMU.

1 DO letter and some research.

I have about 25-30 research hours. So not very much... I am a Ohio res so I will apply to all the Ohio MDs(except Cleveland clinic) as well as usuhs (my top choice). I just dont want to risk not getting in somewhere.

25-30 hours? I'd attempt to get more and make it clear on your app you're doing research. That being said please apply to more than 3 MD schools.

Not URM, 62 lizzy M score
Colorado

Mcat 26 (7,9,10) 3.62, 3.42s

Secondaries submitted mid October. I applied to about 14 DO schools, completed I think 9 secondaries.

I received ii from KCUMB, LMU, Western U NW, and DMU. Rejected from KCUMB (a horrible interview experience and my first one), wait listed at DMU and Western U(I thought the interviews went great), and accepted to LMU.

1 DO letter and some research.

Seems like a 7-9-10 is a really frequent score lol. But yes, seems like overall you had a decent interview cycle. How high are you on the Western & DMU waitlist though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like a 7-9-10 is a really frequent score lol. But yes, seems like overall you had a decent interview cycle. How high are you on the Western & DMU waitlist though?

Yea I have no idea where I stand on the wl. I don't think I'll find out for some time which really sucks. I really want to go to dmu but I'm also very happy to go to lmu as well. Happy to get into 1 school!

LizzyM score 62. (3.4 cGPA, 3.7sGPA, 28Q)

Applied to 6 DO schools in January, complete late January. IL resident, non-URM, non-trad.

Accepted: KCOM, AZCOM
Waitlisted: MUCOM
Interviews scheduled: SOMA, LECOM
Also applied: CCOM

MD letter only. Hope this helps!

Update:

Interviews scheduled: SOMA, LECOM-E, CCOM :laugh:

Wait till you have an ii or an acceptance, then register for it. Just a recommendation. Many schools don't require it. However, if you are SET on DMU, might as well get it out of the way.

Yeah, gonna see how my interviews go in the Fall, and if I'm not getting good feedback, I'll retake it in January.

What happened with that biochem, if you don't mind me asking?

This toward me?

Yeah, gonna see how my interviews go in the Fall, and if I'm not getting good feedback, I'll retake it in January.

This toward me?

Oh, I am sorry. I overlooked that you have already taken it. Yes, definitely retake it to get a better grade (grade-replacement ftw). If you never have never taken it though, then I would have recommended to wait.

Update:

Interviews scheduled: SOMA, LECOM-E, CCOM :laugh:

I'm surprised that these schools are actually interviewing this late. It somewhat confounds me. Also I thought SOMA + LECOM-E only take you if you have a DO LOR? Did they change their policy? ( Though the whole DO/MD LOR thing is somewhat asinine to begin with, just let them shadow and be done with that).

Yea. Hope you don't take offense with the question; I'm just curious.

Haha of course not madam/sir.

Essentially had some inter-family conflict at the time. It was a pretty dark time in our family history but luckily things turned out great in the end. I studied for the material, but I just didn't retain any of it. Also could of put alot more time into the subject matter--but was just too distracted.

In my last 60 hours of undergrad, I only received a D in Biochem and an A- in Physiological Psycholgy. Really hoping the strong upward trend will help--but that cursed grade---arghhhh.

Hey All,

When do schools host the majority of their interviews--Fridays or Mondays--or randomly?

Planning out my classes for Fall of 2013 and as I'm not that strong of an applicant, I expect most interviews (if any) to be in late October/early November.

Am wondering if I should schedule most of my classes for the middle of the week or not.

Thanks!

Haha of course not madam/sir.

Essentially had some inter-family conflict at the time. It was a pretty dark time in our family history but luckily things turned out great in the end. I studied for the material, but I just didn't retain any of it. Also could of put alot more time into the subject matter--but was just too distracted.

In my last 60 hours of undergrad, I only received a D in Biochem and an A- in Physiological Psycholgy. Really hoping the strong upward trend will help--but that cursed grade---arghhhh.

In any case, impressive performance. Biochemistry was pretty tough even with a solid effort on my part. I'm sure your redo will pay off. I agree that it's worth a retake, but I think you'd survive not retaking it if it had to be done that way given that kinda explanation. Gl, sir/ma'am.

32 MCAT (12 B, 10 P, 10 V) 3.2 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA
Applied Early in cycle
Applied to: CCOM, Western, Nova, Rocky Vista, Des Moines, Lecom Eerie, Midwestern Arizona + 12 MD School
Interviewed and Accepted- Rocky Vista, DMU, and Lecom
Rejected with out an interview- Everywhere else

Why do you think you were rejected from other DO schools without an interview? Did they think they were a safety option for you? Wondering if you shadowed a DO.

I'm surprised that these schools are actually interviewing this late. It somewhat confounds me. Also I thought SOMA + LECOM-E only take you if you have a DO LOR? Did they change their policy? ( Though the whole DO/MD LOR thing is somewhat asinine to begin with, just let them shadow and be done with that).

I'm super grateful to receive interviews at all my schools and especially this late. I know I took a risk applying in January, but I think it's paid off. SOMA does not require a DO letter, just a physician's letter. LECOM-E does require a DO letter, but they will interview you without one.

32 MCAT (12 B, 10 P, 10 V) 3.2 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA
Applied Early in cycle
Applied to: CCOM, Western, Nova, Rocky Vista, Des Moines, Lecom Eerie, Midwestern Arizona + 12 MD School
Interviewed and Accepted- Rocky Vista, DMU, and Lecom
Rejected with out an interview- Everywhere else

I think you had a solid cycle.

I think you had a solid cycle.
I'm wondering why they didn't get any interest from the other schools though. I now you can't be accepted everywhere, but their stats seem very good.

LizzyM score 62.6 (3.5 cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 27M)

Applied to: 14 DO 3 MD (didn't submit secondary to two of the 14 DO schools)

Accepted: LECOM-Erie, SOMA, CCOM
Waitlisted: WesternU, MSUCOM
Interviews invitations: SOMA, LECOM-Erie,CCOM, DMU, KCOM, WesternU, NOVA, Central Michigan

DO letter only. Tons of volunteer hours and shadowing hours!

Interviews invitations: SOMA, LECOM-Erie,CCOM, DMU, KCOM, WesternU, NOVA, Central Michigan

Solid man.

Form:Firefighterdoc

===Demographics====
Ethnicity: ( URM or Not)
State of Residency: Illinois
==================

==Stats===
Mcat score: 27
Cgpa: 3.45
Sgpa: 3.35

=========

== Date Submitted===
Application Cycle Year: 2012
Application Date of Primary: 6/1/12
Secondary Submitted average: 7/1/12
Secondary date of submission for accepted/ interviewed Schools: 7/1/12
Interview dates: 9/15/12
Interview dates of schools accepted: 9/15/12
==================

==Applications====
Number of schools applied: 4
What schools interviewed you: CCOM, ( invites from DMU, KCOM, MU-COM)
What schools accepted you: CCOM
Schools In-state that interview/ accepted you: CCOM
===============

====Extras=======
DO or MD Letter: 2 DO letters, both CCOM grads, one on staff with OMM dept at CCOM
Research Experience: yes

interesting that you both were accepted outright at CCOM, as I have seen TONS of people rejected pre-interview with stats in the 3.5-3.8 and 27-32 range on MDapps, and even someone with 3.27/3.60/35 (!!!!) rejected post interview. CCOM admissions seems pretty random this year.

:confused:

interesting that you both were accepted outright at CCOM, as I have seen TONS of people rejected pre-interview with stats in the 3.5-3.8 and 27-32 range on MDapps, and even someone with 3.27/3.60/35 (!!!!) rejected post interview. CCOM admissions seems pretty random this year.

:confused:

I think CCOM is a bit more biased towards Illinois residents. CCOM was my first interview and I met many people with average stats that are going there. At the same time, I do agree its weird because I have seen people with 3.7-3.8 and a 30+ to get rejected before ii.

LizzyM ~64

===Demographics====
Ethnicity: not URM, male
State of Residency: NJ
==================

==Stats===
Mcat score: 28Q
Cgpa: 3.53
Sgpa: 3.71
=========

== Date Submitted===
Application Cycle Year: 2013, DO only

Application Date of Primary: August

Submitted secondaries: August/September

Interview dates: September, October, November
==================

==Applications====
Number of schools applied: 12. AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, both LECOMs, NYCOM (did not submit secondary), NSU, OU-HCOM, PCOM-PA, Touro-NY (did not submit secondary), UMDNJ-SOM

What schools interviewed you: AZCOM (cancelled it), KCUMB (cancelled it), both LECOMs, NSU, UMDNJ-SOM, DMU.

What schools waitlisted you: DMU, UMDNJ-SOM.

What schools rejected you: CCOM (pre-interview. Whatever lol), most likely PCOM will reject me. Haven't heard a peep from them even after an update letter/LOI

What schools accepted you: Both LECOMs, NSU. Would've attended the others but did not have the $$$. Got expensive really fast.

Schools In-state that interview/accepted you: UMDNJ-SOM interviewed and waitlisted
===============

====Extras=======
DO or MD Letter: Both
Research Experience: 1 year
Also had a lot of clinical, volunteer and teaching experience.

Really hoping for Nova Southeastern this upcomming cycle. I seem to be falling in love with the school more and more.

I don't see that being a problem. You have a good GPA and as long as your MCAT is around a 27 or 28 at least, you should be fine. Shoot for higher of course!

I don't see that being a problem. You have a good GPA and as long as your MCAT is around a 27 or 28 at least, you should be fine. Shoot for higher of course!

Apply as early as possible and you'll be just fine.

Ty guys--I hear NOVA looks for specific things--so we'll see.

Dolfan--you gonna be attending NOVA?

You guys don't even realize how much hope this thread has given me. :love:
Definitely going to become a doctor one of these days!

LizzyM ~64

===Demographics====
Ethnicity: not URM, male
State of Residency: NJ
==================

==Stats===
Mcat score: 28Q
Cgpa: 3.53
Sgpa: 3.71
=========

== Date Submitted===
Application Cycle Year: 2013, DO only

Application Date of Primary: August

Submitted secondaries: August/September

Interview dates: September, October, November
==================

==Applications====
Number of schools applied: 12. AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, both LECOMs, NYCOM (did not submit secondary), NSU, OU-HCOM, PCOM-PA, Touro-NY (did not submit secondary), UMDNJ-SOM

What schools interviewed you: AZCOM (cancelled it), KCUMB (cancelled it), both LECOMs, NSU, UMDNJ-SOM, DMU.

What schools waitlisted you: DMU, UMDNJ-SOM.

What schools rejected you: CCOM (pre-interview. Whatever lol), most likely PCOM will reject me. Haven't heard a peep from them even after an update letter/LOI

What schools accepted you: Both LECOMs, NSU. Would've attended the others but did not have the $$$. Got expensive really fast.

Schools In-state that interview/accepted you: UMDNJ-SOM interviewed and waitlisted
===============

====Extras=======
DO or MD Letter: Both
Research Experience: 1 year
Also had a lot of clinical, volunteer and teaching experience.

wat. dude just retake the mcat and apply MD...your gpa is fine. you'd be in at UMDNJ Newark

Disagree 100%,

You'd be taking a BIG risk in doing this, as there is no guarantee that you'd get in next year (it's a crap shoot), and DO schools wouldn't give you love as you ditched them earlier.

:thumbup:

What this guy said.

wat. dude just retake the mcat and apply MD...your gpa is fine. you'd be in at UMDNJ Newark

Not necessarily. Also, I couldn't take a second gap year, so I needed to go in with what I had. The little money I had needed to go to schools I knew I'd have the best shot at. As much as I have thought about giving MD a try, in the end I knew DO would give the best return. Thanks for the input though (no sarcasm) :thumbup:

Not necessarily. Also, I couldn't take a second gap year, so I needed to go in with what I had. The little money I had needed to go to schools I knew I'd have the best shot at. As much as I have thought about giving MD a try, in the end I knew DO would give the best return. Thanks for the input though (no sarcasm) :thumbup:

always sucks to hear people say they couldn't take another gap year. why not? i intended to take a gap year and ended up taking 4. get a job and study for the mcat again! move home if you need to! don't tell me that taking loans out for a DO program (which are almost always more expensive and receive less institutional funding) is a better road....

agree to disagree.