Where did you take your prerequisite classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am mapping out how I should take my prerequisite classes for pharmacy school. I have a Bachelors and did decently as an undergrad, GPA was decent. I worked for a few years after undergrad (or a long time you can put it, >5 years) and now I want to return to get the PharmD degree at a pharmacy school.

My question is where did you all take your prerequisite classes for pharmacy school applications? Did you take it at a local community college?

And did any of you complete a post baccalaureate program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I took all my pre-reqs at my 4 year university except my public speaking and statistics requirements, which I did at a CC. I would think that you’d be much more competitive if you took your science courses at a 4 year university but people have gotten into schools taking all their prerequisites at a CC also, so there’s that.

Last edited:
Hi Konp,

I highly recommend taking all your major science courses (all your chemistry courses, and the more complex bio courses,) at a 4 year university, as mentioned above. As for the electives, it won't matter where you take them.

I personally took half of my electives and some biology at a community college, but made sure to complete all my CHEMISTRY courses at a 4 year uni. They didn't ask me about it in the interview, everything went great!

I will mention though, it will differ from pharmacy school to pharmacy school, so make sure to get in contact with the pharmacy advisor at the main school you're looking to apply to and ask them about it!

Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took most of my pre-req's at a CC prior to transferring to a university. Much cheaper and generally easier in CC then university. Got into the number pharm school in the country being a transfer student. Made sure to get mostly A's in pre-req classes.

Hello everyone!

I am mapping out how I should take my prerequisite classes for pharmacy school. I have a Bachelors and did decently as an undergrad, GPA was decent. I worked for a few years after undergrad (or a long time you can put it, >5 years) and now I want to return to get the PharmD degree at a pharmacy school.

My question is where did you all take your prerequisite classes for pharmacy school applications? Did you take it at a local community college?

And did any of you complete a post baccalaureate program? Thanks!
I did all mine at Community college. In two years. It was cheap.

Take as many as you can at a community college. You’re essentially wasting money taking them at a 4 year if they’re offered at a community college. It’s the exact same class except it’s way cheaper. I took all my prerequisites at community college and got into 3/4 schools I applied to with 2 scholarships. Waitlisted at the other
Hi,

I am taking my pre-requisites this upcoming fall at a local CC. Since you were accepted to 3/4 of the schools that you applied, how long did you take to complete the pre-reqs for applying and what was your GPA (if you don't mind me asking)

Thank-you kindly,
Pre-pharm student

Hi, I took all my non science classes at the local community college while in high school. So once I graduated high school (spring 2016) I began taking taking my science prerequisites fall 2016 full time at the same community college. This summer I will be completing my last prerequisite and starting pharmacy school in fall 2018 so a total of 2 years. My GPA is a 3.9.
Very good. I wish you the best while you are in school. May we keep in touch via private message on this forum?

Reactions: 1 user
I took all of my prereq's at my local CC - I applied, and was accepted, to my local university (originally, I planned on taking some classes there, such as biochem, immunology, etc) however, when I narrowed down the schools that I wanted to apply / attend, I realized that I didn't need to go to the university.

My advice is focus on the school(s) that YOU want to attend, follow their list of prereqs (not your schools pre-pharmacy AA/AS degree path) - Only take what is needed - definitely CRUSH IT on the science courses - and schedule your PCAT after you take (and pass) Organic I (some will say to wait until after Organic II - but you should be fine with just having Organic I completed)..

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users