Where do I even start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennyollio

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I need a lot of help. I'm going to be a senior in college this fall, majoring in psychobiology. I went into college debating whether to get a PhD in psychology or go to medical school. I then decided on medical school but am starting to really second guess myself. Now I am considering pharmacy school but don't even know where to begin the process.

I believe I have most of the prereqs down; bio, chem, organic, physics (taking next semester), etc. I am kind of confused though because it looks like a lot of pharmacy programs you enter as a freshman? Can someone clarify this for me because I am very confused.

Also, do I need to obtain pharmacy experience like I needed clinical experience to apply to med school? And when should I take the PCATs. Originally I planned to take a year off before med school because I can't take the MCATs until the end of my senior year since I am yet to take physics, but would I be able to go right into pharmacy school? By the way, I have a 3.9 so grades are not really a concern for me getting into a school. My extracurriculars are very weak though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been browsing the forums and different schools' websites but am still pretty confused. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are generally three types of pharmacy programs (0+6, 2+4, and 2+3) programs. The 0+6 are the ones where you enter as a first-year and complete 6 years of work. The 2+4 pharmacy programs and the 2+3 pharmacy programs are probably the ones you'll be looking at, since you'll already have finished the 2 years of prereq work. You can look up the different schools and see what their requirements are. Most schools are 2+4 programs though.

You might be surprised about the prerequisites. Due to your pre-med prep, I'm sure you have all the science prerequisites filled. However, many pharmacy programs require 20 to 30 credit hours of humanities, including a mandatory speech class and/or economics course. You may find yourself having to fulfill these courses.

Also, your lack of experience in a pharmacy setting may be an issue; 1) not knowing much about the pharmacy profession will hamper your efforts during the application because your personal statement will not be able to reflect your experience...and it also will become evident during any interviews you might get. 2) becoming a pharmacist is a very big investment, and you want to be sure that you want to become a pharmacist before you invest the hundreds/thousands of dollars in your applications. It's best if you contact your local pharmacist in a hospital or retail setting to at least ask about the profession. If you have research activities or other healthcare related activities, those will help too.

Finally, assuming you met all the qualifications above, you will need to take the PCAT. You can take the August PCAT and still make this year's application process in a timely manner. It's best to send in your application first with a solid personal statement. You'll also need to prepare your letters of recommendations (some schools require a pharmacist letter).

As you said yourself, your GPA is terrific. (great job keeping it that high! =)) My initial opinion is that it would be better to wait a year (just so you can enough experiences to know what you're talking about in your personal statement, as well as a solid set of recommendation letters), but if you have all of the prerequisites and are ready to jump into the application, there's no reason to wait.

Edit: oops my bad, i didn't realize you'd be a senior in the fall. In that case, you may be able to apply this year and finish up the prerequisites during the year. You are allowed to apply even when you haven't completed all the prereqs. You just need to finish before the school's deadline (usually June).

You might be surprised about the prerequisites. Due to your pre-med prep, I'm sure you have all the science prerequisites filled. However, many pharmacy programs require 20 to 30 credit hours of humanities, including a mandatory speech class and/or economics course. You may find yourself having to fulfill these courses.

Just as an addendum, most schools waive the humanities credits if you've already completed your BS/BA. ALWAYS check school requirements for verification, but typically the humanities are only for those going in without a 4-yr. Having said that, if you have a four-year degree, chances are you've met the humanities requirements anyway, which is why they're generally waived, on the odd chance you missed one.

wow jenny, you started off in may inquiring about pharmacy school and look! .... 7 months later here you are already accepted! Congratulations !!! :D:hardy: