Where do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroScot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to apply to SMP programs to boost my undergrad GPA. I graduated with a 4.0 in my major Neuro courses but the rest of my science/pre-med coursework makes me look a little bipolar. I had a lot going on during different undergrad semesters relating to health and family issues leading to a 4.0 one semester and then a 1.8 the next. Anyways I ended up with a 2.9 sgpa and 3.35 cgpa. I am currently taking biochem and pharmacology and doing well and am also retaking orgo 2 in the spring so those may improve my gpas some but obviously not much. I am taking the MCAT in Jan. I am also spending this year working as a medical assistant and doing some work in a hospital setting. Any thoughts? I know not having the MCAT score makes this a bit more difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Total novice here, but sounds like you need to do some pre-req work. Probably a formal/informal post bac would be the way to go. IDK how much weight the MA position lends to your application (at least some, and it hopefully gives you some helpful contacts/mentors/something to do with yourself besides study), but you may need to nix it in order to focus on studies. I understand that med school applications want you to participate in "med-related activities" for a certain amount of time (at least 6 months?), and your job probably has a contract. And you may not need to quit if you get into a program close to you and the time commitment isn't too bad.

Good Luck on your MCAT and future!