Where do I stand with my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starfox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 4.0 (major is Biology and Economics)
MCAT: 28T (12 PS, 6 VR, 10 BS)
100 hours shadowing
300 hours volunteering in hospitals
ECs are good in general, but I'm more concerned with an opinion on the other #s.

Verbal was unexpected, I was scoring so much higher on practice exams, like 9-10s (English is also my first language.....). But honestly what will an adcom think looking at me? I got a perfect on the writing, I don't consider myself bad at reading or writing, but is that something they use to think that you lack critical thinking, or they're just less likely to accept you b/c they don't want to bring down their MCAT average verbal score for their accepted class?

Members don't see this ad.

With your GPA and clinical exposure, the admissions committee would be downright jerks for rejecting you. But I would expect an egging during your interview regarding your MCAT verbal score.

Nice work. :)

Numbers-wise, everything is fine but your MCAT...this suggests to adcoms that you might have gone to a college or university known for extreme grade inflation but don't have the mental ability to back up your GPA, considering you were outscored by a number of your fellow applicants. The humongous difference between your writing score and your VS score is going to raise a red flag. Its up to you whether or not you want to re-take...to me personally, a 32R looks better than a 28T. But even with that score you'll probably at least get a few invites, depending on what your ECs actually are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake MCAT honestly. 6 VR is really low.

Every MD school does not look at the subscores, but even so, your chances at one of those few is iffy considering your overall MCAT score is 3 points below that of the average acceptee to allopathic schools, unless your home state has a liberal public MD program. Otherwise, you are still a candidate for some DO med schools.