Where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentNJ12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am interested in applying to DPT programs and am trying to gauge where I stand. I know schools are extremely competitive, so I'm wondering if any current students could shed some light on my credentials. I'm a little nervous that I am shy of the minimum requirements -- especially my undergraduate GPA.

I am currently a patient care coordinator at a local physical therapy practice, as well as hospital volunteer. I received a BA undergraduate degree with an overall GPA of 2.89 (I received two D's my freshman year which I attribute to personal reasons/struggles). Aside from my freshman year, I received over a 3.0 every semester. I am currently enrolled in prerequisite courses at my local community college and my current GPA is a 3.73. I also retook one of the courses I received a D in at my community college and received a B+. I have not taken the GRE's yet, but I usually fair ok/pretty well on standardized tests.

So, if anyone could let me know where I stand it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hard to gauge without final stats. All you can do is put one foot in front of the other and apply. Research programs to determine how they calc. their GPAs. Crush the GRE, diversify PT observation, get great LORs, write some awesome essays, community service...all the standard stuff.

Your cumulative GPA between the two will probably fall somewhere around ~3.3, depending on the schools way of calculating it. It isn't the worst, but it's not exactly the best.

Your GRE scores, LORs, and observation hours are going to be your selling points to make up for it. If you don't get accepted, take the following year to retake as many pre-reqs as possible and work on improving your GRE scores.

I have a GPA of ~3.5, but my pre-req GPA is 4.0 and I am consistently practicing testing in the 80th percentile for the GRE. The representative told my I was much more competitive for this coming year compared to what I was before, which was a 3.3 gpa and a 3.5 pre-req gpa.