Where do I start? Newbie q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tifftaff81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new. I've been watching this forum for some time now, trying to figure out what I should do to get started and figured I better speak up or just keep dreaming. A little background about myself.

I have my BS in nursing and have been an RN for 4 yrs. I'm 26. GPA 3.0. Only needed few science courses, varying grades. A in Microbio, B+C's in Anatomy . C in Chemistry survey course.
Can I take Chem, Physics and beginning at CC and transfer to take Upper Divs?

I want to attend a formal post bacc but financially it would be a burden, since I work full time in a state that has no post bacc it would be very difficult.

My current plan is to start taking some classes at the CC and transfer to UNLV, I am actually already ready to go at UNLV however the classes are very expensive and wanted to get some of the smaller classes out of the way at the CC, these will easily transfer, unlike my courses from GA that they are giving me a hard time about. While doing this I plan to work full time and volunteer.

When and how do I get my research in. Can you research as a part time student when I get to the 4 yr school. Once I am done with school I plan to travel nurse again to make some money, don't know how I could research then.

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

1) courses/grades: there is a lot of disagreement amongst us as to where to take courses. I think you have to weigh the options and decide for yourself. Part of it depends on where your previous coursework was completed -if you attended a very reputable nursing school, you are in a better situation than if you went to a cc or a tech school. It sounds like you have a BSN or something to that effect, that theoretically helps. You need to get stellar grades in your science coursework, as it sounds as though your BCPM is low. Consider taking more courses than you need in order to make that happen (say, an immunology, embryology, etc). That will only work, of course, if those grades are 3.5-4.0. I know it's expensive, but so is reapplying.

$$$$: Have you considered trying to get a job with a university? Our local private schools discount tuition or make it free for employees. Check with UNLV to see what their rates are for part-time adults. Many state schools discount tuition for that group, because 1) they are often senior citizens taking classes for fun and 2) they don't require nearly the services that the typical UG requires.

I just posted an introduction also, and it seems we have some similar questions.
I'm in a financial pinch like yourself, as I'm sure others are on this forum.
Montessori makes a good point about taking benefits from employment at a university. I work for a museum of art that is part of the University of Texas. Since i'm considered faculty there, I recieve education benefits which allows me to take a free course per semester. I'm sure other universities offer similar benefits.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have a BSN from a no name school in Savannah. Thank you so much for your reply. I was already coming to that conclusion that I will have to take more coursework, which is fine by me it will give me a chance to get some humanities in as well as upper div. bio courses. What are others thoughts on taking some classes at the CC level. I am interested in taking some counseling classes and possibly more psych. But I really want to take my physics, chem and calc there. What do you guys think??

1) courses/grades: there is a lot of disagreement amongst us as to where to take courses. I think you have to weigh the options and decide for yourself. Part of it depends on where your previous coursework was completed -if you attended a very reputable nursing school, you are in a better situation than if you went to a cc or a tech school. It sounds like you have a BSN or something to that effect, that theoretically helps. You need to get stellar grades in your science coursework, as it sounds as though your BCPM is low. Consider taking more courses than you need in order to make that happen (say, an immunology, embryology, etc). That will only work, of course, if those grades are 3.5-4.0. I know it's expensive, but so is reapplying.

$$$$: Have you considered trying to get a job with a university? Our local private schools discount tuition or make it free for employees. Check with UNLV to see what their rates are for part-time adults. Many state schools discount tuition for that group, because 1) they are often senior citizens taking classes for fun and 2) they don't require nearly the services that the typical UG requires.

I can't believe I never thought about that. Universities are always looking for more RN's to guide the students during their clinicals. One of mine worked full time in a nursery and did clinicals 1 day a week with the students. Since I'm an ICU RN I have a bigger advantage. Thanks!!