Status
Not open for further replies.

humtum

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
hey guys

I have a qeustion? I am actually a pharmacy student but if I don't get into pharmacy school, my back up plan is to try dentistry. I have so many qeustions?
first where do I start from?
I will be graduating with my BA degree in biology...When should I take DAT and how long I have to study before I can take them?
Which school are easy to get in and which are hard?

I have a gpa about 2.7 and I am sure I can pull it up in another semester or so. I just had very bad family and financial situation, which made my grades go down the drain.

I will really appreciate any reply and any additional info to guide me
thank you

Rezdawg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Just curious, how do you see getting into dental school as a "backup" plan if you dont get into pharmacy school? I dont think its as simple as you may think.

The main thing that stands out is your GPA. To be honest, that is too low. I have almost a 3.1 and 2.9 science, with a pretty good DAT score, and it took me 2 years to get into just 1 dental school.

Therefore, my advice would be to possibly to a post-bac or maybe even take a bunch of upper level science courses, and do well in them. You need to get your grades up and prove to the adcoms that you are capable of it.

As for the DAT, a good amount of time to study is 2-3 months.

Good luck.

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
humtum said:
hey guys

I have a qeustion? I am actually a pharmacy student but if I don't get into pharmacy school, my back up plan is to try dentistry. I have so many qeustions?
I will be graduating with my BA degree in biology...When should I take DAT and how long I have to study before I can take them?

I have a gpa about 2.7 and I am sure I can pull it up in another semester or so. I just had very bad family and financial situation, which made my grades go down the drain.

thank you
Dont tell anyone that dental school is a back up plan, the interviewers wil hate that. You should really try to get a job as an assistant or do some shadowing to see if you really like dentistry. Make an appointment with a school counsler to talk about your options and what you need and your chances. You need at least over a 3.0 to be a competitive applicant into dental school, so take classes to get your GPA up. Best of Luck

L

lunguv

If anything pharmacy should be your back up for dental school ;) :smuggrin:

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
lunguv said:
If anything pharmacy should be your back up for dental school ;) :smuggrin:
Lets not start bashing professional schools now, they are all hellah hard.

Pikeyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
I can't believe this mofo.

You can't just cash in your checks and walk away. Unlike Pharm, in dentistry, you gotta have balls to ante up, again.

So take your Pharm-reject-sorry butt elsewhere. We don't take Pharm rejects. If you can't get into a school based on pill-counting, what makes you think you can handle dentistry? Also, you are seriously telling me dental schools are your "back-up"?

If I were your parent, I would stuff your head into a toilet and flush the hell out of it until you come to your senses if that is all possible.

If you go on to file your AADSAS, the Admissions Committees will see that you applied to Pharm schools and got rejected, and that now you are trying to get into dental schools. I wouldn't be surprised if they laughed at your application. I know I would.

Dentist 2 be

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
Pikeyman said:

You can't just cash in your checks and walk away. Unlike Pharm, in dentistry, you gotta have balls to ante up, again.

So take your Pharm-reject-sorry butt elsewhere. We don't take Pharm rejects. If you can't get into a school based on pill-counting, what makes you think you can handle dentistry? Also, you are seriously telling me dental schools are your "back-up"?

If I were your parent, I would stuff your head into a toilet and flush the hell out of it until you come to your senses if that is all possible.

If you go on to file your AADSAS, the Admissions Committees will see that you applied to Pharm schools and got rejected, and that now you are trying to get into dental schools. I wouldn't be surprised if they laughed at your application. I know I would.
Actually on the AADSAS application they ask you whether or not you have applied to other professional schools, but if you say no, they cannot find out. I was always under that impression. Correct me if I'm wrong. Some of my friends are applying to multiple professional schools, so it would be good if I can give them the heads up. Thanks

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
Pikeyman said:

Pharm school is way more than pill counting, lets be a little more mature and stop this petty bs.

Swenis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Pikeyman said:

Haha! Pill counting? Such a stereotypical response, and for that you win the prize. :thumbup: Try and be more mature, man.

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Michigan
Status
Dentist
That's too bad that you didn't get into pharm school. I know a lot of people aren't happy with you that you're thinking about doing dentistry as your "back up plan". Dentistry really shouldn't be taken too lightly-esp. as a back up plan. You really should talk to the local dentists to see if you can shadow them to see what dentistry is really about. Because you're talking a big financial obligation (at least $180000!!!)as well as 3 or 4 years of time. (Not to mention the DAT fee ~$160/application fees ~anywhere between $40-60ish per school/AADSAS fees ~$195 for first school, $60 for each additional school up to 5, and then $50 per additional school after that/travel expenses ~$30 for gas or over $200 for air tickets--if you get an interview....it adds up to a lot!!) But here's the info you may find helpful....

To prepare for the DATs, you should review your basic sciences. The DAT include general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, reading comprehension, basic math (algebra, some geometry, word problems, etc.), as well as PAT (perseptual amplitude test...or something like that--it's basically to see how well you can fit 3-D things into your mind) You can request testing material from ADA (American Dental Association) and ADEA (American Dental Education Assoc.) websites. There's also a book called something like "official guide to dental schools" by the ADA. It has info about all the schools in US and Canada....mean GPA, mean DAT, acceptance stats..M/F, avg. age, etc. The national average is about 18 out of 30. Even thought that's close to a 60%, it's actually pretty challenging to score that high on first shot based on where you're coming from.

Besides the DAT, you also have to have 3 letters of recommendations ~they prefer 2 from science profs and 1 non-science/dentist...I had all 3 science profs and it was okay (make sure they're good ones that will only say positive things about you), a personal essay for the general AADSAS application. Some schools have a secondary application you have to fill out that may also require another fee and an essay. Of course official transcripts from all institutions you've studied at should be sent directly to AADSAS.

As far as "easy schools" to get into....I heard BU and NYU take people with okay DAT and relatively low GPAs (around 2.8-3.2 ish)? (sorry if I offended anyone or if this is incorrect....please correct me if I'm wrong) I also hear that UoP in CA take relatively "low" GPA but high DAT scores. This is a 3 year program, but more expensive...but you are doing it in 3 years instead of 4, so everything averages out.

If you want to increase your chances, start getting things ready now and apply the first second AADSAS opens online for the 2006 cycle. Also, do the DATs as early as possible, as soon as you think you're ready....you do have to wait 90 days before you can retake it. Word of caution...you should NEVER take your first DAT just for a practice round...take it seriously and do your best. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. :)

timthomascu05

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
NC
Visit site
Status
humtum said:
hey guys

thank you

Hey man if you really want to do pharmacy as your first choice then apply to wingate in sc. I know people from my school who got in there with 2.6-3.0 range best of luck

Tooth Fixer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
I dunno about you but Pharmacy is much easier to get into that dental. For pharmacy all you need is gpa. Dental you need both gpa and DAT. My mom's friends a Phamacist and she says what gets you in is if you've volunteered as an assistant for a pharmacist for a while that will for sure increase your chances by 10 fold. Gluck

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Somewhere on earth
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yeah, dentistry is no joke. And although Pharmacy school is more than pill counting, I'd say that dentistry is a more involved than pharmacy. I don't think dentistry should be a backup for pharmacy...in fact, I'd say the opposite.

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
Tooth Fixer said:
I dunno about you but Pharmacy is much easier to get into that dental. For pharmacy all you need is gpa. Dental you need both gpa and DAT. My mom's friends a Phamacist and she says what gets you in is if you've volunteered as an assistant for a pharmacist for a while that will for sure increase your chances by 10 fold. Gluck
Um....students need to take the PCAT to get into most pharm schools. They need high GPA's and a high test score, just like people who want to go to dental school.

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
Pikeyman said:

OMG you are so funny !!!

HEy, whats up with this guy, dentistry as a back up plan???

HELLO BEATCHHHHHHHHH, pharmacists run the cash register and count to 30 about 70 times a day.

Being a dentist is somewhat harder..............

Status
Not open for further replies.