Where do miltary Docs work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jman2018

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they work on a Base or actually out in afganistan, how likely is it to die:)scared::confused:).
Thats basically my question

Members don't see this ad.

Do they work on a Base or actually out in afganistan, how likely is it to die:)scared::confused:).
Thats basically my question

Doctors work at Combat Support Hospitals, Forward Surgical Teams and Aid Stations. You get closer to bad guys as you proceed down that list.

There was a doctor killed by a mortar at a large base inside the green zone in Iraq, so there is always danger. There have been a few that died in Blackhawk crashes. But, doctors are expensive assets and tend to not be put in the line of fire. There are ABSOLUTELY doctors in Afghanistan and Iraq. That's where the people are that need doctors.

Short answer is anywhere. They work on bases (US, outside the US, and in theater( Iraq and Afghan)).

Members don't see this ad :)
Question - I'm assuming after residency we'll do a tour of duty in afghanistan/iraq, but after that, is there a possibility to work at a VA, or are those jobs contracted out? Do we just work at military bases?

Edit - I'm army by the way.

Question - I'm assuming after residency we'll do a tour of duty in afghanistan/iraq, but after that, is there a possibility to work at a VA, or are those jobs contracted out? Do we just work at military bases?

No. If you are Army, you would not work at a VA. Completely different systems. Just bases/forts/in theater/etc.

You seriously joined the Army before asking these kinds of questions?

You seriously joined the Army before asking these kinds of questions?

Yes I seriously joined the Army before asking whether I'd be working in a base or a VA. What's so mind boggling about that?

Well I suppose my apathy will serve me well in a field seemingly full of miserable people.

Well I suppose my apathy will serve me well in a field seemingly full of miserable people.

I am going to assume that you typed this statement in Sarcastica font, and my computer just won't show it. With that assumption in mind,...
Ha ha ha, good joke.

I am going to assume that you typed this statement in Sarcastica font, and my computer just won't show it. With that assumption in mind,...
Ha ha ha, good joke.

Yeah, likewise. You're a real crack-up yourself.

Indeed it will. It might even keep you sane until the end of your obligation. MIGHT. :xf: