Where do the children fit in?

MrsRamen

Pre-Med, BioChem & Music
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Alli and I am a 27 y.o. married woman returning to school for her undergrad degree (again).
I can't wait to be a surgeon, but I am also very much looking forward to starting a family with my fantastic husband.
I am planning to start med school in 2007, at which point I will be 29. I wanted to have my first child in May of 2008, when I am just about 30.

So here's my question, is this a good time for us? How difficult is second year?
Also, are there schools in Manhattan or NYC area that offer housing for married people with children?

Finally, who among you has actually acomplished such a feat?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

generally, I've read, 1st and 4th years tend to be easiest times to have children during med school. 2nd year is still alot of book/classroom work, but you take the USMLE Step 1 exam before 3rd year. My husband took his in June following 3rd year so that might not be ideal for you with a new baby. (Plus, it's hard to plan when you'll get pregnant, give birth, etc. - I'm sure you realize that!) A good time will depend alot on your husband though. Is he prepared to take over care of the infant? will he/she go into daycare? does your husband work? is it important to you that he stay home with the baby rather than work? Maybe you could graduate early from undergrad (or extend it a semester) so you have 6 months before starting med school...might be a good time to have a baby? Just some options.

My husband and I looked at Columbia and NYU med schools when he was applying several years ago. Both had family housing. We never visited them, but the description was not ideal. Columbia gave you tiny apartments (of course...it IS NYC) and the rent was not that much cheaper than if you were to look on your own. The location seemed pretty nice though. Can't remember what NYU's was like.

We live in campus housing now (in Los Angeles) and I'm not thrilled with it. The apartment itself is older and not very visually appealing. It works though and I can't beat the convenience of being right in the city near school. We could most likely find a "better" apartment for a little more money- however, the commute would be no fun for my husband.