m3shocker

15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Status (Visible)
I always wondered about this:

Where do surgeons change into scrubs before going into surgery? Is there some locker room you go to? Also, after doing a surgery, do surgeons normally take showers then change back into street clothes?

Thanks

Leukocyte

15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
Locker room.

Well, maybe ophthalmologists ;) , but general surgeons!!!

I thought they were trained to never take their scrubs off. You know, in case of an emergency. Just eat, sleep, and even go out on dates in scrubs.

Peace:laugh:

About the Ads

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Leukocyte
Well, maybe ophthalmologists ;) , but general surgeons!!!

I thought they were trained to never take their scrubs off. You know, in case of an emergency. Just eat, sleep, and even go out on dates in scrubs.

Peace:laugh:

:laugh:

Actually, many hospitals enforce a policy of not allowing people to wear hospital issued scrubs outside of the work environment. ;)

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Reply to the second part of OP's query:

most I know don't take showers after the OR, unless they were splashed through and through or at the end of the day (which is still unusual, IMHO). In the old days (before the current trend of going home post-call), we used to shower after a night on call before going to clinic. Nowadays most of us simply go home (and yes, usually in the same scrubs we've been in all day unless they're filty) and shower there. We do have policy about not wearing the scrubs outside the hospital but its not well enforced.

Leukocyte

15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
:laugh:

Actually, many hospitals enforce a policy of not allowing people to wear hospital issued scrubs outside of the work environment. ;)

Yes, Yes, I was one of those med. students who got yelled at by our program coordinator for entering the hospital in scrubs.:smuggrin:

Peace.

supercut

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Stupid regulations aside, there are many places where we roll out of bed at home, don scrubs, go to the hosptial and round, then straight to the OR. THen we wear the scrubs home.

Many places don't assign residents lockers, don't have space in the locker room, and are too busy to waste time changing. Plus, when I'm at risk of getting someone else's body fluids on me, I don't want to be wearing anything but scrubs. You never know what nastiness you will discover during morning rounds.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by supercut
Plus, when I'm at risk of getting someone else's body fluids on me, I don't want to be wearing anything but scrubs. You never know what nastiness you will discover during morning rounds.

Then why would you want to wear the scrubs home? ;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.