"Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougarY

MD aware
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on if there is a "right" or wrong answer to this interview question? What do PDs want to hear? Do they look down upon simple answers about going out into the community?

Members don't see this ad.

I answer this honestly.

Which is I have no idea. But I phrase it better.

I like the idea of community and I say because I like the idea of being "the guy" at a small ED potentially managing multiple codes at once.
I like the idea of academia because I love teaching and having med students/residents seems great.
I like the idea of a fellowship because I have so many interests in Sub-specialties in Emergency Medicine.

I just give straight honesty at these interviews. Wrong or right answer, I much rather go to a program that likes me for me.

The wrong answer is "in a radiology residency".
Or something flippant.
PDs want to hear if you've got academic or community aspirations, or possibly a fellowship plan. None of those are wrong. Even "I don't know" isn't wrong, as long as you make a point of saying what you've considered.
You should have some idea. And don't make it up. Don't be the guy who started every third year rotation with "I want to be an xxxxx" when xxxx is the rotation you're on.

Members don't see this ad :)
The right answer might be - whatever the person interviewing you does...

Kidding aside.

The interviewer wants to hear that you've thought about your path heavily and (usually) they want to hear that you aspire to do more than just punch the clock, work shifts in the ED, and earn as much money as possible. They're looking to hear that you take initiative, that you demonstrate leadership, strive for excellence, and lift others up around you.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Trust me, they could care less where you'll be in 5 years. No residency can hire every graduating third year resident after they graduate. In fact, many of them want fresh "meat" from other institutions with new ideas, so as not to become too inbred. They want to know if you have a plan and are goal directed. Likely they don't care what your plan is, as long as it sounds mature, well planned, motivated, and that you have one. If your plan is, "Don't know, prolly will just take a part time gig somewhere, so I have max time to chill, get lit, and go where the wind blows me," they're not going to like it, even if "that's you."

Make a list of the 20 most likely questions, and either have someone "mock interview" you or mock interview yourself. Record your answers on your phone and listen back to them. Do this over and over again until you like what you hear.

I can't tell you how much this technique helps. "Just be yourself" is the worst interview advice ever. Be your best, groomed, well prepared and polished self.

Rehearse these questions.

It's easy.

IT'S THE SAME DAMN 20 QUESTIONS EVERY PLACE, EVERY YEAR

Prepare, and you'll kill it.

Or just do what I did, interview at twice as many places as you should have. By the time I got to the places I really cared about I was a darn good interviewee.