where do you set the bar for first year of AP/CP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told that at the end of first year of AP/CP, your only real goals are to A) be completely proficient at grossing, B) always be able to identify what tissue you're looking at microscopically, and C) tell if what you're looking at is benign or malignant, and D) be proficient enough to independently perform an autopsy and a brain cutting.

I was told it is not necessary to be able to diagnose anything much during your first year, and that second year is for learning immunostains, and third year is where everything really starts to come together.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there are any specific bars. Especially because the fine points on the A,B,C,D you listed above are areas we are all still learning in. I think after first year you should be comfortable with grossing so that you can gross in common specimens and develop a plan on complicated ones (while still being able to ask for advice on ones you haven't seen). If you do most of your autopsy rotations in year 1, then yes, your autopsy skills should be nearing proficiency. But you still have a lot to learn about histology and disease, so I would doubt you would be proficient.

I think in terms of B&C that you should be able to look at a slide and be able to tell yourself what kind of process you are likely looking at (inflammatory, tumor, normal) and WHY that is, a basic differential, and things like that.

Different goals depend on the program. At our program we do a lot of blood bank first year so we should be proficient enough to take call by the end of the year, and also do a lot of autopsy so we should be comfortable on our own with them. Surg path you should be able to recognize common diseases and normal patterns also. But things vary.

In the same vein, where's the bar after one surg path rotation?

For example, what's the minimum comfort level I should have grossing and signing out by the end of a rotation (mostly small bx + 2-4 tumors/week) to decide if I have what it takes to be an anatomic pathologist or am hopelessly lost.