Where do you want to practice dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, where does everyone want to practice dentistry after you earn your DDS/DMD? NYC, San Diego, Chicago, where were you pre-dents feeling?

Members don't see this ad.

I would LOVE to be in Savannah, GA...such a great town near the water, and it seems like it would be a really great laid-back place to live. I also have family in/around Austin, TX and the city there is awesome...real estate prices are so much better there--and a lot of TX in general--than where I'm used to (south FL)! Its just too bad that MCG and the TX schools aren't very out-of-state friendly. :(

south east...GA...preferably on the coast...savannah! or hilton head (SC)...is my first choice, but i really don't think they're in need of dentists...whoever is there is either on vacation or has a denture already :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would LOVE to be in Savannah, GA...such a great town near the water, and it seems like it would be a really great laid-back place to live. I also have family in/around Austin, TX and the city there is awesome...real estate prices are so much better there--and a lot of TX in general--than where I'm used to (south FL)!

omg, that's so weird, we probably hit reply at the same time, but savannah is really a great place, i have no idea what's doing in GA :)...it's like a corner of europe...i lived there a year and fell in love with it...

Bump...I find this interesting! I am wondering why hardly anyone is responding...:(

I want to practice dentistry anywhere. because its not about where you practice, its about the work to society you are doing . . . .:rolleyes:

No. that was not serious.

I would love to practice in Indiana. Indianapolis area. Why, you may ask me. Well, I would be glad to answer why I would choose such a nondescript state to practice. 1) probs where I will be going to dental school (instate res) 2) my fiance and my family only lives a few hours away. That way my children will be able to grow up knowing their grandparents. And the area surrounding Indy is pretty darn wealthy.

But, I would love to practice in the remote villages of central and south america/ africa. I went on a medical mission trip to nicaragua where I was able to do a lot of hands on dental stuff. From extractions to amalgam restorations. Well, I fell in love with working for people who were so gracious of you. It really instilled a strong sense of pride and accomplishment. I hope to practice for a week or two every year after graduation in these countries. There are a lot of organizations that allow you to do such and provide compensation. I highly recommend everyone doing somehting like it during their years in Dschool

Interesting fact, most countries in central america and south america require their recent graduates to commit their first year as a DDS to service through governemtn funded programs. Nicaragua is one of those countries. Pretty sweet deal the poor get.

After retiring from the Navy, setting up a practice in the Seattle area would be great.

Orange County, CA - that's the place for me. A bit congested with dentists, but plenty are retiring. It's got enough to be interested in, close to loved ones, and been my home for a long time.

Anywhere up in the Pacific NW. Can't complain about the weather nor scenery here.

I feel like either Toronto or Seattle
I'm Canadian.
I feel like Toronto is my home because I grew up there.
It's a nicee city with less guns than US and city is pretty big and busy.

places where there are large population of Hispanic and African American. I feel like they appreciate our effort

I have to second Austin TX, what a great place.

Southern California for sure (it's where I'm from). Plenty of dentists there, but there's always room for you if you're great at what you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to serve everyone--specially low income patients :thumbup:

As far as location, some where nice and hot, full of palms trees! I'd love to have a huge palm tree as a view from my work place....I had a dentist with that view from the second floor...anyways, Florida or California....but I better just focus on the DAT for now and hope I don't end up in Alaska one day :laugh:

I have to second Austin TX, what a great place.

GOOD LUCK!! Competition for patients there is fierce. I know multiple dentists who are in good locations who do quality work who have to do a lot to fill their practice becasue there are so many dentists there.

I feel like either Toronto or Seattle
I'm Canadian.
I feel like Toronto is my home because I grew up there.
It's a nicee city with less guns than US and city is pretty big and busy.

can dentist that go to school in the U.S practice in Canada?.. what all is needed to do that?... I would like to move to Canada one day..!

I want to practice anywhere where there isn't a dental school within 2 hours, and that is relatively urban. Miami, Syracuse NY, etc.

I want to practice anywhere where there isn't a dental school within 2 hours, and that is relatively urban. Miami, Syracuse NY, etc.

You do realize that Miami is only 30-40 minutes from Nova Southeastern Dental school, don't you??

You do realize that Miami is only 30-40 minutes from Nova Southeastern Dental school, don't you??

Guess I didn't lol. 40 mins is enough of a distance though, plus its south beach!

I think I would most definitely want to practice in Chicago because its where I'm from. But before settling in Chicago, I think it would be fun to live and practice in NYC, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.

Northeast Queensland coast within 3 hours of Brisbane, or Brisbane itself.

Oh, that's Australia.

Somewhat surprised one of my two choices was listed. I love the Gold Coast (Australia) and have been planning to move there since I visited in 2001. My other choice is the Savannah, GA area. I actually like the Louisville area so far so it just might make the list, but we'll see if I'm ready to leave here after I finish in a few years.

NOVA is still less than 1 hr from Miami and if you don't speak Spanish it could be an issue. I think there are way too many dentists there already. Many dentists from South America too.....but is very nice to live there :thumbup:

Guess I didn't lol. 40 mins is enough of a distance though, plus its south beach!

Do you have phobia of dental schools? :laugh: There's nothing like South Beach on a Saturday night :D

somewhere at the boonies!!.away from big cities, .work hard !! and travel every weekend.!!! =)

can dentist that go to school in the U.S practice in Canada?.. what all is needed to do that?... I would like to move to Canada one day..!

Why would you want to practice in Canada? Associates up here only make 80k, about as much as a teacher (kindergarten, elementary or high school) with 10 years experience and only a 4 year bachelors + 1 year teacher's college, but without the loads of benefits and unionized job security a teacher enjoys.

Last edited:
Why would you want to practice in Canada? Associates up here only make 80k, about as much as a teacher (kindergarten, elementary or high school) with 10 years experience and only a 4 year bachelors + 1 year teacher's college, but without the loads of benefits and unionized job security a teacher enjoys.
Because the US only wants US residents!

I think your numbers are a little off. An associate will probably take in 80k after taxes so really their gross pay was more likely around 120k. A teacher on the other hand will gross 80k and after taxes be around 50k.

I guess I am going to re-think my Austin, TX and Savannah, GA ideas...apparently everyone else was thinking the same thing.

I guess I am going to re-think my Austin, TX and Savannah, GA ideas...apparently everyone else was thinking the same thing.
How about rural Oklahoma or Kansas.

I think I will probably settle somewhere in the midwest, probably Wisconsin, cuz I like the culture a lot more around here when compared to other parts of the country and I love to hunt and fish and buy alcohol if I want to on football Sundays! However its been a debate lately because I am tired of the long winters and if Im tired of the winters now, imagine when Im 40 or 50 years old!

NYC :) im born and rasied! i love the city life

I'd love to practice in Long Island, but I'm afraid it is/will be really saturated by the time I finish Dental school.

[Deleted]

Last edited: