Where does lower leg/limb begin curriculum-wise in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GymMan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's regular gross anatomy but where does the Pod specific courses on lower anatomy begin? Is it the same as some state's scope of practice or is it the tib. tuberosity or? I'm trying to think where a Netter's or other book would begin a class specific to Pod lower anatomy curriculum?

Members don't see this ad.

our class covered the pelvis down

Azpod is the enitre lower extremity, including muscles in the posterior back (i.e. psoas, quadratus lumborum) which act on the the lower extremity. Also histology and embryology related to LE development.

Members don't see this ad :)
Azpod is the enitre lower extremity, including muscles in the posterior back (i.e. psoas, quadratus lumborum) which act on the the lower extremity. Also histology and embryology related to LE development.

precisely:thumbup:

You can go on the school websites and view their student handbooks.
http://www.aacpm.org/html/collegelinks/cl_schools.asp

Barry Univ Pod Med curriculum is the following - at least when I did it 3yrs ago:

semester 1: gross anat lec+lab (chest, abdomen, head/neck, back, arms, pelvis) ...taught by PhD
semester 2: lower anat lec+lab (hip down)... taught by a PhD
semester 3: lower anat lec ... taught by a DPM

I believe all the schools of podiatric medicine teach lower anatomy from the hips down to the foot in great detail. This includes muscle origins/insertions/functions, nerve innervations and branches, and vascular supply. The key point here is that we learn lower extremity anatomy in tremendous detail to a level that many of our MD/DO colleagues do not get into. Not only do we dedicate an entire course to the lower extremity, but also an entire section on our boards (in addition to gross anatomy of course). Hope this helps.

I believe all the schools of podiatric medicine teach lower anatomy from the hips down to the foot in great detail. This includes muscle origins/insertions/functions, nerve innervations and branches, and vascular supply. The key point here is that we learn lower extremity anatomy in tremendous detail to a level that many of our MD/DO colleagues do not get into. Not only do we dedicate an entire course to the lower extremity, but also an entire section on our boards (in addition to gross anatomy of course). Hope this helps.

Exactly........the lower ext. anatomy should be somewhat consistent throughout all schools.